Log Caddies

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalmatian90

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Decided to buy myself a log caddy.

This is the classic model:
http://www.yardlover.com/deluxe-log-cart-and-caddy

And the new ChinaMart version:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10055919

Cost isn't the deciding factor, although for a $100 difference it does make you wonder.

I'm thinking the high-wheel version is going to be easier to move due to the big wheels, and be easier going up and down the handful of steps I have to go (at most, up to steps onto the deck, then down one step into the house) then the cheaper handtruck style one.

Either should be quicker then my current method of bringing in an armload at a time from the deck.

In the for what it's worth department: I have the China version, picked it up for $17 on clearance this spring at Home Depot (normal price was something like $49). I've only used it a couple of times so far but it rates a 10 on my scale. The only problem right now is I am burning some short splits and you have to mix the holder with long splits so the small splits don't fall out because the uprights are spread about 10" apart. (Did I mention these were short splits I'm burning? ;) ) To aleviate that problem in the future I might consider wrapping the uprights with rope to close the 10" spread. As far as wheel size goes, I opted for the handcart style simply because I thought if I dropped a split or two on them the wheels wouldn't be damaged like the spokes could be if you have the larger bicycle type wheel.

Shari

I use large rubbermaid tubs, stack the wood standing vertically on their ends, (looking from the top you see the cut ends.) I cut 16 inches though. Easier to pick a piece to fit the stove just right, or the right size or type of wood for starting or night burning.

Haul the tub to the wood stove, (stove is small, not use too much wood) and it sits along the wall. Dirt chips bark stay in the tub to go back out. Bring in another tub.

Either haul a tub by hand, or stack two high on a normal two wheeler cart.
Fill a few then store them in the shed, or in the back entry. 'Prefilling' makes life easier late at night or when rushing off to work.

Used to load a cart, then unload and haul to the woodbox and handle again. Now I only handle the wood once at the stack, once at the stove.

kcj

in the for what it's worth department: I have the china version, picked it up for $17 on clearance this spring at home depot (normal price was something like $49). I've only used it a couple of times so far but it rates a 10 on my scale. The only problem right now is i am burning some short splits and you have to mix the holder with long splits so the small splits don't fall out because the uprights are spread about 10" apart. (did i mention these were short splits i'm burning? ;) ) to aleviate that problem in the future i might consider wrapping the uprights with rope to close the 10" spread. As far as wheel size goes, i opted for the handcart style simply because i thought if i dropped a split or two on them the wheels wouldn't be damaged like the spokes could be if you have the larger bicycle type wheel.

Shari

+1

I have the classic model, and have been using it for 3 years now. I love the big wheels. I have to pull it up over a 6" step, and the big wheels make that relatively easy.

Be careful not to overload it. I was hauling out large logs from the woods (very uneven terrain), and broke the bottom tube. I fixed it with 2 small 8" angle irons and 2 bolts, and it's stronger than ever. I misused it, and it paid me back. Don't beat it up, and it will last for many years.

I prefer something simpler and cheaper, and just use a canvas carrier like this one:

3115Q4TAA6L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

It will probably last longer, and is much cheaper. Especially if you're just going from your deck to the house. I use mine to go from the garage to the house. I'm actually using one from the '70s and is still in great shape. The make them with ends that are supposed to keep the mess in the carrier, but I actually prefer them without ends... easier to carry more.

My wood shoot is in the garage and goes into my basement.. I just use a 4 wheel cart until there is too much snow then I take out my big sliegh and just use that..

I built my own out of aluminum conduit, bicycle wheels and a few sheets of metal. All materials were scrounged from my shop so it cost $0. I haul my wood down 13 steps then through two rooms and down a hallway to my wood stove. I can haul as much as a wheelbarrow at a time, about 25-30 pieces. I'll try to get a pic posted.

used to do the same thing hauling wood. had a crawl space under rear of house. 12x24-got a 12" h beam--held house up, and put full basement under it----------on the east side of house--where i do the cut,split, and stack, i went and got a old coal door, and put it in. now the wood gets thrown directly in basement, and stacked in the same part thats now basement. about 8 cords, as fruit shelves take up the rest---!!!!! no more going outside in the winter--ahhhhhhhhh..................

no more going outside in the winter--ahhhhhhhhh

Ayup.

House I grew up in we could fit a winter's worth of wood in the garage (under the house). We kept a month's supply in the basement -- 3 weeks on the far end, 1 week by the stove.

Each week I used my little red wagon to restock the supply by the stove, and bring another week's worth from the unheated garage into the far end of the basement.

Now at my little cottage, I can only fit about 5 days supply during the middle of winter.

I use a regular wheel barrow to dump my wood from the stacked pile down the wood chute into the basement, where I leave it however it lays in a pile. I don't get carried away with too much handling of the wood, stacking it neatly once is enough.

Latest posts

Back