Log splitter advise

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

firemedic565

I'm in the market for a log splitter. I'm thinking 26-28 ton vertical and horizontal. What is a good brand to buy and what should I stay away from. I like the Oregon the iron and oak and the brave units so far. Thanks

I can't testify to quality... but the thing looked to be extremely well built.
I was at Menards just a few days ago and spotted a 22-Ton on sale for $899.oo (normally $999.oo) plus a $200.00 mail in rebate... damn hard to beat $699.00 for a 22-Ton horizontal/vertical convertible these days. I believe it's their "house brand", Forest King or some such, with a 6.5 HP LCT horizontal shaft engine, 24-inch stroke, log cradle, 8-inch wedge and 14 second cycle time. The engine looks like those 6.5 HP engines that sell for $99.oo on sale at Harbor Freight... so likely the splitter is a Chinese build, or at least parts are sourced from them. But still... $700 (after rebate) leaves a lot of cash free if an upgraded part may (or may not) be needed down the road.

Here's a link...
http://www.menards.com/main/outdoor...22-ton-gas-log-splitter/p-1705000-c-10115.htm

Wow, Whitespider you are the bargain hound. For the money that doesn't look bad and a horizontal shaft motor too.

A month ago I got a Speeco 28 ton at Farm and Fleet for $1350 and a $100 off that if you opened one of their credit cards.

I have a 10 year old 22 ton Brave, love it. I think the company that makes the Brave/Iron & Oak has been sold. Don't know to who. The Huskee 22 tons at TSC are pretty good, can get them on sale for $999. at times.

$700 is a great price for a splitter...even if you need to replace a few bits here and there. After all, it's a splitter. Not much to it so if your half way decent with maintenance, the crappy parts should last quite a while.

$700 is a great price for a splitter...

Yeah, I thought so.
But a fella' would have to make up his mind pretty quick, that sale price is good through this Sunday (don't know how long the rebate is offered). I did a bit more checking, it is a Chinese build, but so is a lot of stuff with an American brand name on it. Not everything coming out'a China is crap; just like American made stuff there's low quality, good quality and high quality. That splitter appears to be made by Jiashan Superpower Tools Co. Ltd, model LS22.
Here's a link...
http://www.cnsuperpower.com/product...=comp-FrontProducts_list01-1312788152541.html
I looked that splitter over pretty good and it didn't look like a crap build... but looks can be deceiving. I will say the welds looked well done and Menards isn't known for selling crappy stuff.

But hey... I ain't recommending purchase, just passing-on what I came across.

Last edited:
if you can get one i&o is your best bet or timber wolf
28ui6nn.jpg
hvq9fk.jpg

Menards has been doing this deal for about 3 years now a couple times a year and I always buy a new one everytime and sell mine and get between 850 - 1000 on craigs list, I missed it one time because I was on vacation and had to keep it for 10 months. These are great units out of the box, never had a problem with the engine hyd. etc., they have like a 2 year warranty.

A couple a years ago I had the chance to buy a timberwolf for $1,000. It was really beat up. Now that I think about I'm pissed I didn't because for an extra $2,000 and a little work I could've had a brand new tw-5 for 1/3 of what a new one costs. I suggest if you have the tools and the know how, look for an old beat up timberwolf and overhaul the whole thing. You'll spend more than those horizontal/vertical spitters but it will last a very long time.

I have a 26 ton Brave for the last 8 years and it's been a great unit. My splitter has a Briggs Intek 8 hp and it's done a good job

I can't testify to quality... but the thing looked to be extremely well built.
I was at Menards just a few days ago and spotted a 22-Ton on sale for $899.oo (normally $999.oo) plus a $200.00 mail in rebate... damn hard to beat $699.00 for a 22-Ton horizontal/vertical convertible these days. I believe it's their "house brand", Forest King or some such, with a 6.5 HP LCT horizontal shaft engine, 24-inch stroke, log cradle, 8-inch wedge and 14 second cycle time. The engine looks like those 6.5 HP engines that sell for $99.oo on sale at Harbor Freight... so likely the splitter is a Chinese build, or at least parts are sourced from them. But still... $700 (after rebate) leaves a lot of cash free if an upgraded part may (or may not) be needed down the road.

Here's a link...
http://www.menards.com/main/outdoor...22-ton-gas-log-splitter/p-1705000-c-10115.htm
That's a great price, even if you find out it's not the one for you, you could most likely recoup your money by selling it later on.

It looks like the Champion I bought at Rural King for $699 after discounts, except mine has a full beam. So fare it has split everything I've thrown at it including some really knarly 3' rounds. Very happy for $699.

A couple a years ago I had the chance to buy a timberwolf for $1,000. It was really beat up. Now that I think about I'm pissed I didn't because for an extra $2,000 and a little work I could've had a brand new tw-5 for 1/3 of what a new one costs. I suggest if you have the tools and the know how, look for an old beat up timberwolf and overhaul the whole thing. You'll spend more than those horizontal/vertical spitters but it will last a very long time.

The problem with that theory is that you need to find a "beat to hell" TW...there are none...they are beat, they are used hard, they are put away wet and you still get a phenomenal return on your investment. Ive been looking for one used and ragged for years....a beat to hell TW 5 in theses parts still sells for $4000. I would love to repower one with a lombardini diesel

I first had a Iron and Oak and sold it to buy a TW-5. Both great splitters but the TW-5 is my favorite by far. Large difference in price too! Like most items you buy, you get what you pay for. Especially true with log splitters. Sorry I did not get a TW-5 many years ago.

Latest posts

Back