Log splitter pics what's yours look like?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my beauty, how can I calculate the tonnage of psi. I was told the motor is 18 hp.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

When buying a splitter the tonnage ratings are usually exaggerated. Actual tonnage is
4" bore cylinder 18.8 tons max.
4 1/2" bore cylinder 23.8 tons max.
5" bore cylinder 29.4 tons max.

The least expensive splitters often use a MTE brand pump. Ninety-five percent of the pumps are manufactured by Haldex/Barnes.

The gpm rating of the pump will affect cycle times. A 11 gpm pump would be considered the min. for a 4" bore cylinder. A 16 gpm pump would be the min. for a 4 1/2" or 5" bore cylinder. Larger pump add speed but do not increase tonnage.

A 11 gpm pump requires a 5.5 to 6 hp gas engine.
A 16 gpm pump requires a 8 to 9 hp. engine.
A 22 gpm pump requires a 12 to 13 hp. engine.
Using an engine that is larger than required does not increase power or speed.

Hope this helps you.

split, been ridin since 1979, my first harley. been to the door a few times, bought the bike i have now off someone who hangs there. kevin

Can we get a shot of a bicep or something? Forearm? They look heavy.

I'm a tiny little feller. I seriously outsplit any hydrualic splitter I've ever ran. The only time I haul the splitter out to the house from my uncle's is when I've got a pile of crotchy wood....and even then I feel I might as well noodle it down a bit and then split it with the sledge and wedge. It should be noted: I typically split (ash, hickory, oak, cherry)during the coldest days of winter....amazing results splitting by hand when it is 1 degree out. I can not justify the money spent on a hydraulic splitter, when I can double the production and get ready for climbing season in the spring by hand splitting.

Seeing all those mauls and sledges brings back a memory about my father. He would take a 10 lb. sledge by the end of the handle, hold it at arms lenght and slowly bring the head down and touch his nose and take it back vertical.

lol my dad used to do that too. i dont recall the size of the maul but i remember being impressed. i dont think hed try it now though :( hes a bit older than he once was.

got this from my brother , I just need to pull the engine from the spare lawn mower , and get it running

misc199.jpg

misc198.jpg

Customized Huskee

A few mods:

Picture 1 : Beam retracted
Picture 2: Beam extended
Picture 3: Adjustable Coupler and removable/swing-away stand
Picture 4: Beam Lift assist handle

PS -Can anybody tell me how to have the pictures show up in the body of the post instead of attachments at the bottom? Thanks

LOL great pic DSM! If she gets a gnarly piece of wood, she can take off one of those shoes and wedge it!

My 3pt hitch splitter

It's a Speeco, bought a 3 pt because of cost, with hoses new price was about $750. Have it hooked up to a 45 hp Kioti, a lot of my splitting is done vertically.

Speecowoodsplitter.jpg

LOL great pic DSM! If she gets a gnarly piece of wood, she can take off one of those shoes and wedge it!
Thanks, yeah well let’s just say there is a long story behind that pic… she’s a good woman, stacks ALL our firewood, well at least up unitl last fall. Since the Hernia surgery last year, she wont be stacking for awhile…L

But here is a pic the splitter that does all the work. Purchased 7yrs ago for $200. replaced head gasket on the 8hp Koler only because it had been setting outside uncovered for more then 5 yrs. The valves were stuck, replaced head gasket after smacking valves with hammer and drooping some oil on them. Replaced needle/seat/gasket in carb, cleaned tank and fired her up.. think I might change filter and fluid this summer? Kind of built too heavy but I don’t think I will ever bend it. and no i don't know how old it is or how much wood she has split but she should last a few more years i would think.

PIC_0290s.jpg

and of course our little helper

DSC04422s.jpg

Last edited:
here is the one my brother uses Troy Built 27Ton , it's been through at least 50 cords of Oak , Fir and Cherry , and still plugs along

Copyoflogging004.jpg

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i78.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid78.photobucket.com/albums/j95/Richard_A_2006/logging011.flv">

Bear with me it's my first pic post.

Here is my Fat Dog splitter that I put together last year. I pretty much copied tw-5 in my own way. 5x30 cylinder, 22gpm pump, working pressure set at 2900 psi, 18 hp(OVER KILL & GAS HOG), 21"x1/4" pipe x 20" hydro. tank holds 25 gal., gas tank is a 30lbs. freon tank, beam is 40lbs. per foot 9/16 flange, northern tool 12" wedge, also a slip-on 4 way wedge. Working hieght of 32". The splitter is just over 14' long and 6.5' wide w/out the log table and weights in at 1300lbs.

The second pic is my wood pile in progress. Before I began burning this year the pile was 40'x24'x6', now there is 6 rows gone.

302qv04.jpg

359y9nq.jpg

Back