Log splitter pics what's yours look like?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's mine:

attachment.php

40hp gets the job done very well, but it's actually much easier on the wallet to run the big tractor on it, Perkins diesel will run all day on 10 gallons or less of diesel, the M can burn 10 gal of gas in half that time.

Made with Cat pieces, PTO runs a big pump (gpm unknown), hooked to a 8x30 ram. Tonnage? Lots...

Steve

dsm 382, whats that little valve handle beside the lever on your splitter? adjustable limiter of some sort?
that is to rasie and lower the rear axle. it was built buy a guy that worked for a company that did plumbing and pipefitting, reall handy to get parts.

the idea is to be able to lower the spliter to the ground to make easier to get the BIG chunks up on the spliter.

after being on this site and learning the benifits of noodling.

i will be 're-building' the whole spliter some winter in the future and get it UP off the ground. much easeir on my old back.

Ok cmetal, you win the long stroke contest!

Does that thing fold down? Kinda looks like it folds down and possibly slides side to side as well?

Also, is your pump driven by a separate motor mounted somewhere or PTO or belt driven off the truck? If off the truck motor, how much fuel per hour to run?

I have to get a hitch and 2nd valve added to mine, I have a 40' grain elevator waiting to get cut down for a wood elevator, just hasn't made it to the top of the things to do list yet. I plan on it being a standard trailed unit though.

I'll play ball on this topic.
:D the wiffer looks PISSED in one pic, but after the smile in the other i think she was just saying
"quit taking pictures and get your A$$ back to work!" :D

like the little conver, I have GOT to get me once of those since my wiffer is now on the injured list...:(

This is one I built over 25yrs ago. It used to run off the pto, but converted to a 24hp honda. I am using a 5inch ram with a T knife. doing it this was keeps the block in one piece while two pieces are made on each push. I get a lot of wood that cannot be handled by hand so this works well for me. I have had wood over 5ft and it worked well, but I like the wood about this size, still to big to lift by hand or having to wrestle into a verticle splitter. conveyor next.

Ok cmetal, you win the long stroke contest!

Does that thing fold down? Kinda looks like it folds down and possibly slides side to side as well?

Also, is your pump driven by a separate motor mounted somewhere or PTO or belt driven off the truck? If off the truck motor, how much fuel per hour to run?

I have to get a hitch and 2nd valve added to mine, I have a 40' grain elevator waiting to get cut down for a wood elevator, just hasn't made it to the top of the things to do list yet. I plan on it being a standard trailed unit though.

Yup folds down, via hydralic lever in truck. That's actually my bale spear flatbed with a set of shortened spikes. The splitter/elevator is driven by a 16hp briggs under that black square cover in the pics. The engine separates from the pump which stays in the truck along with the resivoir. Then flip the door down (back to flatbed). Although I have run it off the truck pump, just alittle slower for splitting wood. I just back it up next to a strait pine in the yard strap it to the beam, pull two pins and drive away. And still able to pull the trailer. It's key start and uses only the truck Batt. It took some time and was completed before I showed up here. But looks like I must of done most of it right.

:D the wiffer looks PISSED in one pic, but after the smile in the other i think she was just saying
"quit taking pictures and get your A$$ back to work!" :D

like the little conver, I have GOT to get me once of those since my wiffer is now on the injured list...:(

I tell ya what, the conveyor was a hassle to build, needs more maintance than i wanted, BUT Takes it into another league..... Pic this It removes 1 entire step in the firewood process. You know how wood builds up at the splitter, you have to move it. I toss it in elevator (done deal). Well worth the effort. It saves time, more often than not COLD time to boot. My brother just calls me lazy. But he doesn't burn wood either so does that count?

Here is my Troy Built 33 ton. Its on its 6th year now and still starts first pull unless its below zero then its 2 pulls. :clap: I have had a cpl peeps with the 34 ton Swisher brand splitters from Rurel King split side by side with me on cure'd oak slabs and it ended up them splitting what they could and I would split all the stuff they couldn't bust, which was over half of what we touched that weekend. So needless to say I am very pleased with it. 40" oak slabs 18" thick it will bust into quarters no problem as long as you have something to move the slabs to the splitter with LOL. :dizzy:

attachment.php

Here's another home built:

8HP electric start
log lifter
5" ram w/16GPM pump
She works mighty fine.:clap:
attachment.php

Last edited:
NOW I suppose your gonna show the Unimog again.....GRRrrrrr! I am so jealous.

That is really a cool tool my friend:cheers:

Latest posts

Back