logging archaeololgy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paccity

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
was up hiking in a old ceadar cut , lotts of old stumps with springboard knotches. and found a old misery whip, 6' long pretty rusty and a little buckle to it. was kinda amazed that it hadn't compleatly rusted away after this long. i guess 60-70+ years. what has anybody else found in the woods as far as old logging hand tool's? i've found plenty of donkys, r&r iron and such, but not hand tools. it will go up on the shop wall.

I've got a small collection, too. I have a section of rusty misery whip about 8 inches long, an old oil can lid marked "Standard Oil Company, Los Angeles" (which means it predates the monopoly bust of 1911), several old bottles, some glass and ceramic insulators, and a bunch of militaria dating to the 40's.

was up hiking in a old ceadar cut , lotts of old stumps with springboard knotches. and found a old misery whip, 6' long pretty rusty and a little buckle to it. was kinda amazed that it hadn't compleatly rusted away after this long. i guess 60-70+ years. what has anybody else found in the woods as far as old logging hand tool's? i've found plenty of donkys, r&r iron and such, but not hand tools. it will go up on the shop wall.

Awesome find! I love tramping around through the second growth, I always keep an eye open for stuff. I've come across a couple old donkeys too. Walked through and old camp once, second growth coming up all through it. Found a pile of leather cork boots, ones on the bottom were preserved pretty good. Was like as they were all leaving they just tossed them into a pile on their way to the dock. Old trucks too, solid rubber tires, wooden reaches, second growth coming up through the cabs. Pretty cool stuff to see. My bullbucker found an old misery whip, oil bottle with the hook and an axe once leaning against an old stump. Looked around for the wedge bag, but couldn't find it. Happy hunting!

You guys are lucky, the only thing I ever found walking around my property in northwest Mass. was an old empty sardine can left in the hollow of an old trunk by the loggers of a long time ago.

i know where a lott of the old camps are around here, what i need to get is a metal detector and start going over some .

Nice, I love that ####. Guy I was sawing next to last year found an Olympia beer belt buckle.....it had been there for a long while. Some old cat operator must of jumped off for a piss or something and lost it. Pretty cool.

My best finds have been peaveys and tongs on the bank of the Blackfoot River from back in the day when they drove logs down the crick. That's been around a hundred years ago, they slammed a rail in pretty quick after they finished hi-grading the river bank. I can just see some new guy getting handed a brand new peavey back then and falling off the first log he hopped on...bye bye new peavey- Sam

I know where a couple of trestles from the steam era are slowly going back to the ground in Capitol Forest. There's a badly-decayed camp (also totally looted) near one of them.

My Dad worked in there at Bordeaux for Mason County logging Co. Still around to tell me stories. They had a big two donkey slacker that flew two 1 1/8" and one 1 1/4" choker.
It was known as Larch Mountain in those days.

In regards to the OP I was working in the Deep Cr area on the Humptulips hanging back in some recently burned clearcuts. There were an amazing amount of stuff that showed up as a result of the burn.
Axe heads, saws, wedges, hammers, flat hooks, links. In one place I found where a blacksmith shop had been set up. Other then that I've found a Bagley scraper, mainline drum out of an old road donkey, several blocks, end hooks, swamp hooks, flat hooks, peter hooks, a couple old splash dams and a device known as a duke which I have used ( basically a device to pull a flat hook under a log)

The most common evidences of the old logging around here are the tar pits. They can be found everywhere. The tar production was the first form of commercial forestry here. The British navy sailed on the wooden ships treated with the Finnish tar.

Occasionally I stumble on the ruins of a forest sauna, a simple stove made of stones. The log walls and the roof is usually gone long time ago. The forest sauna was not a steam bath, but a living room, without a chimney. Loggers used them, as well as hunters and fishermen, and they were panic rooms as well, since this area was a war zone for several hundreds of years. By the ruins it is hard to tell, which one it was.

The metal detector idea is very interesting. I know few large logging sites, where the forest companies cut the old growth (what was left of it) in the first decades of the last century. Several hundreds men and horses spent their winters there. They must have left something behind. Yet, I suspect those camps are already cleaned out pretty well. The largest logging sites before the WW2 were in Suojärvi, which is now in the Russian side of the border. The forest companies managed to buy huge quantities of the old growth forest there in 20's, and they could cut some of it before the war. Hmm. It gives me something to think about.

On topic but again not quite.
Samlock, I've got a finnish friend, and her father was a timber faller in the 1980s. She told me that the forests were sprayed with some sort of chemical to kill off unwanted kinds of plants/trees/whatnot to make logging faster/easier/cheaper. You've ever heard mention of or seen stuff like that?

Was a bit of an eye-opener to hear about something like that being done so recently and in our little corner of the world.

On or off topic, who cares?

Haha, yes it is true, Chris. The poison sprayed in the woods in Finland was 2,4,5-T. Sold as "Agent Orange" in the USA.

Agent Orange killed everything green with the leaves on, but left conifers standing. It was used in managing the seedling stands - an option to the clearing saw. And it really worked, they say. It was sprayed with helicopters or aeroplanes. After the treatment the seedling stand looked like a moonscape - with pines and spruces.

In 1975 they sprayed 3,5 million liters Agent Orange in Finland. The godfathers of the forest business loved the stuff, but people hated it. I have no memories of that era, but they had to stop using herbicides in mid 80's due to the resistance. People - the treehuggers of that time - had a nasty habit to gather on the plots which were about to get treated. Well, they sprayed the plots anyway, people or not. It was such a bad PR, they had to stop poisoning.

There was an old logging camp run by Hammonds in the Bald Hills above Orick, by Elk Camp. When I first found it, it was intact, right down to coffee cups on the table. There were quite a few folks that had been there and left it alone. Then some nutter from outside wrote an article on it and gave directions to it. It was stripped and burned within three months.
The are a few old camps in the Big Lagoon, still ok, protected by the landowners.

On or off topic, who cares?

Haha, yes it is true, Chris. The poison sprayed in the woods in Finland was 2,4,5-T. Sold as "Agent Orange" in the USA.

Agent Orange killed everything green with the leaves on, but left conifers standing. It was used in managing the seedling stands - an option to the clearing saw. And it really worked, they say. It was sprayed with helicopters or aeroplanes. After the treatment the seedling stand looked like a moonscape - with pines and spruces.

In 1975 they sprayed 3,5 million liters Agent Orange in Finland. The godfathers of the forest business loved the stuff, but people hated it. I have no memories of that era, but they had to stop using herbicides in mid 80's due to the resistance. People - the treehuggers of that time - had a nasty habit to gather on the plots which were about to get treated. Well, they sprayed the plots anyway, people or not. It was such a bad PR, they had to stop poisoning.
you sure it wasn't gramoxone super? it was sold by Monsanto as a ground sterilizer,works up to five years... kills stuff in twenty minutes after contact..
it was awesome product you could spray trees around a field and by the time you made it around, the leaves would be dropping off..
we used the heck out of it around this area for a while... you cant get it anymore though..

There was an old logging camp run by Hammonds in the Bald Hills above Orick, by Elk Camp. When I first found it, it was intact, right down to coffee cups on the table. There were quite a few folks that had been there and left it alone. Then some nutter from outside wrote an article on it and gave directions to it. It was stripped and burned within three months.
The are a few old camps in the Big Lagoon, still ok, protected by the landowners.

We did a job this summer up a drainage called "Bug Crick". In the unit was an old logging camp the company put up in the '50's for the first hair cut. We came back to give it a trim..all the old cabins were still mostly intact.

When the guys back in the day showed up for the job at their new home away from home, they abandoned the camp the first week. Skeeters.

We camped there for a couple months, and they sure as hell didn't misname bug crick. Sufferfest, lol - Sam

(nice scenery though)
View attachment 174425

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back