logging archaeololgy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you sure it wasn't gramoxone super? it was sold by Monsanto as a ground sterilizer,works up to five years... kills stuff in twenty minutes after contact..
it was awesome product you could spray trees around a field and by the time you made it around, the leaves would be dropping off..
we used the heck out of it around this area for a while... you cant get it anymore though..

Well, I'm not aware of the different commercial brands. The herbicide used here was 2,4,5-trichlorophenol. Gramoxone super might well contained the same chemical. Monsanto delivered Agent Orange as well. The herbicide 2,4,5-T was used globally, the same way as glyphocate today. Of course the salesmen did not advertice too loud the fact it was basically the very same potion used to kill jungles of Vietnam.

2,4,5-T itself was not very toxic. The problem was that the chemical contaminated easily with TCDD - and that is a nasty poison indeed. TCDD circulates in the food chain for ages and messes up the animal DNA. Animals, including humans, exposed to TCDD, begin to have very peculiar offspring - with extra limbs or heads, with no limbs or head at all, and so on.

The contaminated stock should have been destroyed and never sprayed anywhere. I guess the US Air forces had no strict consumer policy, so they were not too picky and they used it all. That caused the catastrophy.

I do hope I won't find the traces of that kind of forest management in the woods, archaeologywise.

logging archaeololgy , hmm. maybe a new show for the history channel
. na, theyed just turn it in to a unreality show.:hmm3grin2orange:

I just had an interesting chat with a fellow, who served 20 years as an officer of the Soviet/Russian Border Troops, located on the Finnish border. He is now retired and lives in Finland. A really tough fellow he is, worked in my crew after he got retired. He impressed me by swimming with a chainsaw across a freezing cold river to make a bridge for the rest of the crew.

I told him about my idea of digging about the logging camps in Suojärvi. He told me, the Russian Federation has recently declared the area as a border zone. He did not recommend pacing about inside the border zone with a metal detector. The Russians just have had enough of the Finns sneaking around the woods behind their back.

Well, he certainly made the whole thing sound attempting to me.

Sam, many of the border areas are probably full of unmarked graves. Many 1000s of Russians did not make it home from those two wars you had with them. Too bad you all ran out of bullets and had to give up turf.
I have two Finnish rifles from that period, both show extreme heavy use, I can only imagine......

As far as I know, only one of the old logging sites of Suojärvi is on the major battlefield -Battle of Kollaa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. (Randy, check out the sniper link there and his rifle.)

Next week I am going to the meeting of Suojärvi Association. I hope to find there some people, who could help me to locate the camps.

Last edited:
The "wet" coast out here is full of of old abandoned gear (once you get away from :biggrin: civilization), from donkeys to rigging to camps, but the neatest thing I ever found in the second growth was an old axehead with the handle just about rotted off. Cleaned it up and it turned out to be a Gransfors small forest axe, sent a pic of it and the unusual stamping to Gransfors and they dated it to the early 1930's. It got a clean up, a coat of Gun-coat and a new handle and it is one sweet little bush axe, 80 years old and it's still in use! I also found a couple of gransfors puget style double bit fallers axes in an old float camp, but they're not nearly as nice a carry...

View attachment 175500View attachment 175501View attachment 175502

I recently spotted a long cedar box in the rafters of my grandfathers shop. When i asked i was told it held at least three brand new crosscuts[without handles]. My grandfather had got them from his grandfather. He has a total of five including the two hanging on his shop wall with handles that he found when he worked in the woods. I can only hope that some day[hopefully not soon] they will be mine.

Latest posts

Back