Logging pictures of my father and me

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can sell it now! The wood I posted pictures previous in this thread I have all sold. Since oil prices raise, the people want more wood in Germany. I have a waiting list of wood buyers, them I will offer this wood after it's splitted.

Here gas is 1,53 Euro today, that are 2,37 US $. Diesel is just one cent cheaper. :dizzy:

Martin,
I meant for lumber not firewood. Some of the oak logs looked like that would be worth more as lumber.

Last I sold wood there it was DM130 per meter back in 1999. Hate to hear of the price today.

Hopefully all that hardwood will fetch a pretty penny for you from the city folk. God luck with it.

Ah, I understand. No, it was too short or has been split up when falling downhill! The lumber wood the forest owner already sold as lumber.

In Germany the lumber prices are good at the moment!

Martin,
Thank you for the pictures. I noticed that your father is cutting down the trees at ground level. May I make a suggestion that will make felling much easier? If you're cutting firewood (not lumber), you can make your felling cuts higher on the tree. So, if your cutting your firewood into, for example, 20 cm lengths, you could measure 40 cm up the tree from your ground-level cut and make your felling cut there. Then it's easier to go back and cut the remaining stump into 2 each 20 cm lengths.

Of course, this method doesn't help with small trees you can fell with one cut and a small push.

Martin,
Thank you for the pictures. I noticed that your father is cutting down the trees at ground level. May I make a suggestion that will make felling much easier? If you're cutting firewood (not lumber), you can make your felling cuts higher on the tree. So, if your cutting your firewood into, for example, 20 cm lengths, you could measure 40 cm up the tree from your ground-level cut and make your felling cut there. Then it's easier to go back and cut the remaining stump into 2 each 20 cm lengths.

Of course, this method doesn't help with small trees you can fell with one cut and a small push.

Close but most firewood in Germany is cut, stacked and split into one meter lengths. Using your theory would be putting the initial cut almost to 4' which I would assume is a little dangerous. Maybe.

While I did not look at the pics again, he very well may just be cutting low to strip the wood beetles of their food (a constant battle in Germany) depending on who the forest master is for the area.. Plus higher stumps do not look nice in the woods.

Excellent pictures Martin!! Thank you!

Wow! A MS361 with a 16" bar! Imagine that!! :clap: :greenchainsaw: :)

Close but most firewood in Germany is cut, stacked and split into one meter lengths. Using your theory would be putting the initial cut almost to 4' which I would assume is a little dangerous. Maybe.

While I did not look at the pics again, he very well may just be cutting low to strip the wood beetles of their food (a constant battle in Germany) depending on who the forest master is for the area.. Plus higher stumps do not look nice in the woods.

I don't think you understand what I'm suggesting. My numbers of 20 cm are purely arbitrary. However, the 1 meter lengths you suggest make it even easier. Measure 1 meter up from where your ground level cut would be. Make your felling cut there. Not so much stooping and much easier to level your notch and line up the back cut. After dropping the tree, cut the pre-measured 1 meter stump at ground level. I'd never suggest someone leave a high stump in the woods. Make sense?

Everyone has there methods. I think most people DO make there felling cuts at ground level. I'm just saying that if you're going to cut the tree into short lengths, and your not trying to preserve board length for lumber, it's not necessary.

I don't think you understand what I'm suggesting. My numbers of 20 cm are purely arbitrary. However, the 1 meter lengths you suggest make it even easier. Measure 1 meter up from where your ground level cut would be. Make your felling cut there. Not so much stooping and much easier to level your notch and line up the back cut. After dropping the tree, cut the pre-measured 1 meter stump at ground level. I'd never suggest someone leave a high stump in the woods. Make sense?

Everyone has there methods. I think most people DO make there felling cuts at ground level. I'm just saying that if you're going to cut the tree into short lengths, and your not trying to preserve board length for lumber, it's not necessary.

+1
I do this for firewood, It's much more pleasant to stand with the "action" more easily controlled.
Cutting the stump off low is then no sweat.

Bill

I understand what you where saying And you are probably correct that 1 meter would be an easier cut for most. I was just mentioning that 1 meter up a tree might end up being 4 feet or more up the tree for the first cut depending how the root sits and might be a little high for some folk. Then again maybe not.

But like you said. What works for some might not for others.

Here are two pictures from Tuesday. My father and I split the big wood on two or four pieces by hand and chainsaw because we don't get it under the hydraulic spillter, it is too big. Bad to split wood I cut through, the others we split by hand. We used Stihl 088 (amazing how quick it takes a big wood apart) and Dolmar 7900.

010708-1.jpg

010708-2.jpg

If we have enough time, I will test my new 346 XPG in this wood tomorrow. :D :)) :lol:

That's $8.97 a gallon Yikes! :jawdrop:
Ian

Germany

Fuel taxes in Germany are €0.4704 per litre for ultra-low sulphur Diesel and €0.6545 per litre for conventional unleaded petrol, plus Value Added Tax (19%) on the fuel itself and the Fuel Tax.

Actually many European countries are paying less for the actual gas than we are. It's not our fault they charge so much tax. British gas prices include 70% tax.

Latest posts

Back