Logging Truck Height

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Splitter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am having a logging truck deliver a traixle load of logs to my home. We have a low hanging powerline and I want to be certain that he can get under it. What is the height of a logging truck? Wherre he will be unloading there are no lines at all it is just the initial pulling into my driveway that im worried about.

Thanks,
Jason

After they get the first load there the power lines will no longer be a problem. Usually for me it has been phone lines that are to low or not buried as deep as supposed.

Low-hanging branches can be a problem, too. I once saw a log truck that got snagged by a strong, springy branch. It snapped the binders and rolled the entire truck and load onto its side in somebody's front yard. Logs everywhere. As I recall, the county ended up paying for that one because it was on their road and should have been clear.

Call and ask the driver. Depends on species and weight of the load. He'll be more than happy to tell you best he can, he doesn't want to mess with the lines either. Then call the power company and tell the what is going on. If the line is to low the will come and raise it if the can or they will hold the line up for the driver to get under it. What ever you do don't measure it yourself. Even if it is an insulated service drop they have bare spots. We don't want to read about you later.

Owl

Just cut a 12' pole and leave a branch stubb at the top to form a V.
Wear rubber gloves, and prop the wires up for the truck if ya need to. Only do this on coated wires.
NEVER touch an uncoated wire with anything, ever. Even guywires. And don't make a habit of touching coated wires either.

I have to do this very thing on the lot I have been doing. Not a big deal with cable / phone. 9999 times out of 10,000 house service is OK too. Wear the rubber gloves and use a fiberglass pole for those.

Call and ask the driver. Depends on species and weight of the load. He'll be more than happy to tell you best he can, he doesn't want to mess with the lines either. Then call the power company and tell the what is going on. If the line is to low the will come and raise it if the can or they will hold the line up for the driver to get under it. What ever you do don't measure it yourself. Even if it is an insulated service drop they have bare spots. We don't want to read about you later.

Owl

Well said. Nobody in their right mind messes with hot wires.

Bridges are another matter. I think every bridge with an overhead span in this part of the world has a dent in it. I believe the old growth sized yarders were the culprits. But not to worry, I'm sure they told the state highway folks they could just "pound it out" and it would be like new. :laugh:

Just cut a 12' pole and leave a branch stubb at the top to form a V.
Wear rubber gloves, and prop the wires up for the truck if ya need to. Only do this on coated wires.
NEVER touch an uncoated wire with anything, ever. Even guywires. And don't make a habit of touching coated wires either.

I have to do this very thing on the lot I have been doing. Not a big deal with cable / phone. 9999 times out of 10,000 house service is OK too. Wear the rubber gloves and use a fiberglass pole for those.

:choler::choler::choler::choler::choler:

I wholly and universally hate when people give out information like this. It is wrong and it will get somebody killed. This is false ignorant information and should be removed from the thread.

Be darned careful with this. This is way bad, way wrong information. Make sure you don't actually tell this to people that might actually do it. I would hate to live with myself knowing that my advice to someone actually got them maimed or killed.

I would venture a bet that you don't have the correct type of rubber glove either. No, rubber is not rubber in this situation. Neither is a fiberglass stick, most of the sticks you see linemen using are tested to 75,000+ volts depending on usage, but 75K is the lowest I know of, and many of them are not fiberglass. Don't know exactly where you live but around us and many parts of the country the primary lines are "coated" and house drops at times are not, there is not many ways to know which is what and gambling with yours or someone elses life isn't a great thing to do. Ya it is a huge gamble. Coated/insulated means nothing at all, there is no way to know what that line is packing.

Those 9999 out of 10,000 house drop are the worst to mess with because they are the least worked on and looked at or over, those kill way more people than anything else, as far as electrical outside lines. A flash on those house drops start at an instantaneous 1200 degrees F. The electrocution hazard is on top of that. One squirrel chew or bare/bad spot and it will be at least a rodeo right above your head and quite probably in your hands before you can even think, OH CRAP. Those service drops can pack the same load and amperage as the main primary line, they are the same size and material many times as the primary wire.

I will use my past work history of 15+years, working in an electrical construction, not an electrician, but as outside climb the poles and work the wires and hot stick them capacity, and doing everything right and an act of God put me in the burn unit for a good stretch of time, to qualify my statements and message. There is a reason those line hands won't touch anything unless it is either visually open on both ends and then tested before handling or tested and grounded before handling. Unless you have some decent expensive equipment, and know how to use it, there is no way for any person to know what is safe and what is not. I have seen career linemen, pay the ultimate price for this mistake. I have had to kill and ground lines so bodies could be removed for doing this exactly what has been said/suggested, recommended and mentioned here.

I don't get on a soap box like this often, but this time it is warranted and the info that Oldtimer has posted above should be removed. Nothing against him, not at all, just against the information handed out. I do and will continue to call BS on this very thing every time I see it.

Even if the truck gets under the line, it would be lighter when unloaded. Wouldn't that make it taller. Had a semi once that fit in a warehouse. But couldn't get out when it was empty. Just some foods for thought.

Don <><

Ha! Rubber gloves, you're nuts! Maybe borrow an aluminum step ladder if you can't find a long enough poking stick:msp_rolleyes:

Hey, don't let your guard down....there are some industrial strength dummies out there. We had a guy, a reasonably intelligent and normal guy too, who was going to do that exact same thing to a house drop. He figured he'd be okay though, because he was going to stand on an old oil drum, hold the wire up with an extendable aluminum ladder and wear a pair of his wife's dishwashing gloves. :eek2:

We talked him out of it. Fast.

I'm with Spotted Owl on this one...except I think Oldtimer's post should stay...if only as an object lesson in what not to do. He'll probably snivel and whine and claim us PNW types are picking on him again but that's too bad. Spotted Owl said it right.

Electricity's no joke. On the boat once I saw a 4000v breaker blow up; a plasma ball bounced around the engine room for a few seconds before dissipating, scorching everything it touched. I gotta say, that left an impression on me as much as on the lagging. A Master Chief electrician said in training shortly after that, emphatically, "4000v does not care". He retired a few months later. Less than a year after his retirement, he died in -- you guessed it -- an industrial electrical accident.

You can never be too educated and you can never be too cautious. Paranoia is just good practice.

I'm with Spotted Owl on this one...except I think Oldtimer's post should stay...if only as an object lesson in what not to do. He'll probably snivel and whine and claim us PNW types are picking on him again but that's too bad. Spotted Owl said it right.

To be sure that everyone knows, I'm not picking on anyone. So I hope nobody actually does take what I had to say as such. I'm sure you didn't Bob:msp_smile:, but I'll throw this out there, if nothing else to clear up that possibility.

Owl

Hey Guys

I ended up calling the power company and they are going to raise the lines for me. So no electricity for me!!!! I am not getting killed over that, that is for sure. Thanks for all of the replies though.

Anyone here ever touch a phone / power pole? Or the guide-wire? Same danger.
I worked for 2.5 years trimming powerlines for CMP in Maine. Took burning wood off the wires, even got hit with 7,200 volts of single phase on a rural road. Have been 50' in the air and had a groundman drop a tree into the wires, sending a 4' ball of blue electricity down the wires right at me. I have lost my hold while climbing in a right-of-way trimming the lines, and swung out towards the powerline....I came within 10 inches of hitting them. My hair stood straight out towards it. I have climbed in right-of-ways within 6' of 12,000 three-phase and had my hair standing straight out the whole time.
I am not ignorant of electrical danger. It's a calculated risk any time you get near any electricity.
You won't get killed pushing up cable or phone lines, and they are always the lowest.
House service, that can kill you. Use a fiberglass tree trimming pole.

I think Owl's point is that it takes training to know how to do the calculations. For most people, a "power line" is a black box full of dangerous and mysterious magick.

True enough. Rule of thumb is the lowest lines, and only the completely covered. No bare wire, no combo like a house service. I do it all the time, and have for 25 years.

Back