Look what $55 can buy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cut4fun

Faster is Better
Reaction score
Just bought this 2003 poulan 330 54cc with 22" for $55. That included shipping and insurance. Had to give it a good cleaning and open the muffler up and adjust the carb. Had a extra new bar and chain already from my 3750 to put on it. I know most of you all hate poulans, but saw has the magnesium alloy case. TSC price is $296+tax.

Last edited:
The PRO models aren't too bad IMO. Good deal for $55. How does it run though?? Where did you find that deal?

Like new. Perfect piston, ring, cylinder. I was happy trust me.

Runs perfect. Just in case I wasnt clear on that last post.

The bar on this saw seems pretty worn. I used a feeler gauge and it had a gap of.55-.57. I think this is why it cut crooked, at a slant. Gap should be .50. I then put my new bar on it and it cut straight with the old chain. Just to rule out it was cutting crooked from the chain. Then I put on new chain with new bar, now that was the cats _ _ _. So can bars gaps be trued (closed up) in anyway or do they have to be tossed when this happens?

They can be closed up using a Silvey bar rail closer, which is essentially a special hand press designed for the task. Or careful use of a hammer and anvil may work. This is if the gap is mostly caused by spreading of the rails, rather than wear opening the groove to beyond tolerance. If it is caused by wear, it may be unable to be tightened up. others will likely be able to add more. Depending on the bar and its cost, it may be easier to simply pitch it and not worry about it.

My favorite brush bucking/chipper prep saw. Yep, rails can indeed be closed with the gizmo but the issue bar on the PP330 isn't worth a lot of hassle. I closed and dressed mine for the first two chains. I'm about ready for a new chain and I think I'll ditch the bar at this point-the nose is well peened behind the sprocket nose.

Latest posts

Back