Looking for a 50ish cc saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I was cutting for personal use and occasional sale of firewood on a 200 acre woodlot, I'd probably just cut fallen trees and limbs and have all I could want.
An Echo 490 is small and light in comparison to a 60cc. And it ought to be plenty fast enough if you're cutting a pickup load at a time.

I like the 50cc size saw, and I make it work for almost whatever I may need. But if I was wanting to cut a couple of a cords a day, and wanted to cut a lot of logs 12+ inches, then I'd love the power of a bigger saw more than I'd hate the weight.
If you decide to go that way, I'd handle a few of them though. And go with the one that feels best in your hands. I like the feel of my old Poulan 3400 much more than a 590, even though it weighs a little more. Maybe it's because it has a 16" bar. Or I think the powerhead isn't so long maybe, or a lower center of gravity that I prefer. And I think the feel is more important, as the weight and cutting speed of various 60cc saws will likely be pretty close. Some like a higher center of gravity. Whatever works for you.

Just my two cents, remember when I was a young guy. Started with a husqvarna 50 in 1980's, moved here in 90 and started heating with wood, went to local dealer and picked up a 262, started cutting and said to myself WTH have you been doing, never used that 50 again. Went back 6 months later and came home with a 371. The size of wood you are talking about and feeding your owb, I would buy a 60cc class with 20 inch bar. A good running pro class saw with a sharp chain makes cutting a lot easier to me. A pound or two in weight made little difference to me, then and now. Welcome and very nice buck you harvested.

I have a cs-490 and a 445. I always use the 445 over the 490 even after a muffler mod on the 490. I think it is a much better saw for my application which is wood burning home owner. With that said I would not be afraid to include a good used saw into my thought process. There are some really good sellers on here with some immaculate saws. I bought a used 359 from Chipper and it has been great. It is probably my most used saw. If you are going to have one saw make it one that has enough power to take care of most all sizes of wood and is quality enough to last you a while. The other thing to consider is you get more money back when you sell a husky or stihl vs an echo. Odds are you will upgrade at some point.

Thanks guys! I’m hoping to head to a few dealers this week and handle some of these saws side by side. I was originally leaning toward the echo 490 but now thinking the 590 may be the better option and keep my current saw when I want to use a smaller saw

Thanks guys! I’m hoping to head to a few dealers this week and handle some of these saws side by side. I was originally leaning toward the echo 490 but now thinking the 590 may be the better option and keep my current saw when I want to use a smaller saw
To me, smart move. The 590 feels a bit bulky until you’re actually using it.

What are you waiting for, Santa to leave one under the tree?

Latest posts

Back