looking for a good saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomcat

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I need a bigger saw,I need atleast a 28 inch bar

what do the bigger saws run and where is the best place to buy them?

Welcome to AS!!

To answer you're question we need a lot more information!! Are you cutting hardwood or softwood? How much are you planning running this saw? How much are you thinking of spending? How much do you want to spend? How much saw do you really need vs. want? Will you by buiring the bar all the time?
Give us something to start with other than a 28" bar please!!!
It could be a Dolmar 7900, a Husky 575 a Stihl 460 all the way up to a Husky 3120 or Stihl 880 or even a Dolmar 9010. You can run a 28 on a Stihl 390, 361 440, a Husky 365 and up!!
Andy

basically I will be running the saw since I am the owner /operater.I will only be using it when the customer has a stump that is too high for me to grind,and that is too big for me to take care of with my 18' husky.

I have had a couple situations already where it took forever to cut a stump down because of the small bar size(18')

I am looking at E-bay there is a used STIHL 038AV for 350.00,is this a good price for that saw?

Last edited:
I have a 28" bar on a sthil 440 and a husky 372XP. Both saws can run it well with the right set up. I use .50 gauge 3/8 full skip chain. this is a pretty light set up as far as chains go allowing the saw to pull the chain faster. However, a 24" bar is perfect for the saws listed above. You might want to check out the sthil 460 or the husky 575XP to reach the full potential out of a 28" bar.

Seeing as you are cutting stumps low, I think power and reliability are most important. Bigger is better, save your money, get something good and nasty, like a 056 Stihl, 2100 Husky, 288 Husky, 394 Husky, 066 Stihl, etc. Over 80cc anyways and skip chain. 460s are good saws, I would look for something bigger. Stay away from little saws with long bars, they won't last.

Tomcat said:
basically I will be running the saw since I am the owner /operater.I will only be using it when the customer has a stump that is too high for me to grind,and that is too big for me to take care of with my 18' husky.

I have had a couple situations already where it took forever to cut a stump down because of the small bar size(18')

I am looking at E-bay there is a used Stihl 460 for 350.00,is this a good price for that saw?

For stumping, incredibly hard on saws simialer to milling, I would recomend a saw larger than you need!! I have seen a stock 460 run a 32" bar in Oak, and it didn't like it much to say the least! In Elm and other softwoods it would work ok, but in hardwood it might be a stretch? I have heard great things of the 7900, but that might be a bit much for that saw also, Freakingstang and others can tell you a little better there than I can. For what you are doing, I would encourage a 660, 385 or 9010, just my .02. $350 for a 460 is a decent price, if it has any compresion, run it a bit and wear it out, then send it to Dean a Washington Hot saws and have the Big bore kit and a stage 2 or 3 mod done and be really happy!
Hopefully others eill chime in as well, I just think you need a bit more saw.
Andy

Saws

Whether it be husky, dolmar, stihl, echo, shindaiwa or whatever, for a 28" bar you'd better make sure you get a saw that's over 5hp. If not and your cutting stumps, you'll burn'em up pretty quick dude. Good luck on your search eh? Welcome to the site buddy.

sawinredneck said:
For stumping, incredibly hard on saws simialer to milling, I would recomend a saw larger than you need!! I have seen a stock 460 run a 32" bar in Oak, and it didn't like it much to say the least! In Elm and other softwoods it would work ok, but in hardwood it might be a stretch? I have heard great things of the 7900, but that might be a bit much for that saw also, Freakingstang and others can tell you a little better there than I can. For what you are doing, I would encourage a 660, 385 or 9010, just my .02. $350 for a 460 is a decent price, if it has any compresion, run it a bit and wear it out, then send it to Dean a Washington Hot saws and have the Big bore kit and a stage 2 or 3 mod done and be really happy!
Hopefully others eill chime in as well, I just think you need a bit more saw.
Andy

Oh thanks, guess i'm just chopped liver......

Back to the saws, I love my 7900, but if it were strictly a stump saw, I don't know that it would last. Same with a 372 or 046. They will work, but for how long? My "big" saw is a 660 with a 28" bar. I have a 36 if I need it, but hate to break it out for the extra weight and more teeth to sharpen (lots of teeth to sharpen when stumping). I cut strictly hardwood, though. You may get away with a 046/460, 7900, 385 etc if it isn't going to be used all that much or in softwood

i would go with a 066/660 or 394/395xp if you have plans for a lot of use. There are some good used one's out there for not too much cash if you look in the right places.

Freakingstang said:
Oh thanks, guess i'm just chopped liver......

Back to the saws, I love my 7900, but if it were strictly a stump saw, I don't know that it would last. Same with a 372 or 046. They will work, but for how long? My "big" saw is a 660 with a 28" bar. I have a 36 if I need it, but hate to break it out for the extra weight and more teeth to sharpen (lots of teeth to sharpen when stumping). I cut strictly hardwood, though. You may get away with a 046/460, 7900, 385 etc if it isn't going to be used all that much or in softwood

i would go with a 066/660 or 394/395xp if you have plans for a lot of use. There are some good used one's out there for not too much cash if you look in the right places.

Sorry Doc, gotta do the sponser thing first ya know?:bowdown: Doc has been know to work over an 046 or two, and I promise you wont be dissapointedd if you chose that route either!!:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

HEY, its in the sig Doc, I figured he'd ask eventually:biggrinbounce2:
Andy

thanks guys ,

so basically this is what I got from what you have told me

buy a saw that is big enough or more then enough to run the 28' bar(more then 5 hp)

056 Stihl, 2100 Husky, 288 Husky, 394 Husky, 066 Stihl are these the saws I should be looking for?

I want a reliable saw it really aint saving money if you burn it out and have to buy another one

Tomcat said:
thanks guys ,

buy a saw that is big enough or more then enough to run the 28' bar(more then 5 hp)

056 Stihl, 2100 Husky, 288 Husky, 394 Husky, 066 Stihl are these the saws I should be looking for?

I want a reliable saw it really aint saving money if you burn it out and have to buy another one

Man!!!!!!!!!!!! This guy is good!!!!!!!!! Kudos to a quick learner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't forget

Tomcat said:
thanks guys ,

I'm not partial by any means. Also look at the Dolmar's and Johnson Reds too. Johnson? Johnson? Did you say Johnson? lmao. J/k. When I said over 5hp, I meant considerably. Like more into the 6 range and up if the stumps are that big. Sounds like you need some pretty hefty saw for cutting your stuff. I'd stick bigger than 5 for sure guy. I've seen 5hp saw bog in 24" wood as I'm sure everyone here has also. Husky makes a great saw as do JR, echo, shindaiwa, stihl, and Dolmar. If I missed one, sorry bout that. Look at all of them out there. It's tough to beat the big buys in the logging industry though. Look for the, saws in the logging industry, thread and see what they say... Good luck buddy.

Tomcat, I've been doing the stumping thing for a long time. Most of the time a 24inch bar on a 70cc class saw will get things done.... but your wish for a 28 inch bar is not misplaced- the few times that a 24 couldn't hit the middle a 28 could. As mentioned-stump cutting is hard use on a saw....it is also true that you aren't going to be making that many big stump cuts .You have to grind the stumps out so if they are monsters you'll have alot of grinding time between cuts. A Dolmar 7900 will be adequate -so will an old husky 281. a Husky 385 or 395 will work great. So will a STihl 660 (one of the finest saws made). A Stihl 460 is back in the "adequate" category. A Stihl 440 or Husky 372 will be great most of the time but whenever you bury that 28inch bar you'll be grateful if the saw is a little bigger. Unless you OFTEN cut stumps over 4 feet in diameter you will gain nothing with a Stihl 880 or Husky3120-They are too big and heavy for general use and actually turn slower than smaller saws.

Stumper said:
Tomcat, I've been doing the stumping thing for a long time. Most of the time a 24inch bar on a 70cc class saw will get things done.... but your wish for a 28 inch bar is not misplaced- the few times that a 24 couldn't hit the middle a 28 could. As mentioned-stump cutting is hard use on a saw....it is also true that you aren't going to be making that many big stump cuts .You have to grind the stumps out so if they are monsters you'll have alot of grinding time between cuts. A Dolmar 7900 will be adequate -so will an old husky 281. a Husky 385 or 395 will work great. So will a STihl 660 (one of the finest saws made). A Stihl 460 is back in the "adequate" category. A Stihl 440 or Husky 372 will be great most of the time but whenever you bury that 28inch bar you'll be grateful if the saw is a little bigger. Unless you OFTEN cut stumps over 4 feet in diameter you will gain nothing with a Stihl 880 or Husky3120-They are too big and heavy for general use and actually turn slower than smaller saws.

Tomcat, Stumper is a man that tree work is his life, this is great info that I would highly recomend you listen to!!!
Thank you for the follow up Stumper!
Andy

660 with 404

If I were you I would get a 660 and mount it with whatever lenght bar you prefer, I would get a .63 gauge bar with a .404 pitch and run .404 chain on it. .404 tends to stand up to dirt a little better and keeps cutting even when it is dull. I use it in the log yard and tend to cut alot of mud and it holds up alot better than some of the other chains mentioned previously. If you are a husky guy go with a 395 I wouldn't go any smaller than either of those saws with that length of bar you will just ruin the saw. I can dawg a 460 out with a 24" bar let alone boreing a big stump off with a 28.

I Vote for Shindaiwa and you won't change my mind. Shindaiwa has a 757 with a 28" Bar. It is the only brand saw we run in our company. We keep 20-30 saws in our fleet. We use to have a mixture of saw brands but I could get anyone to use the others once I got some Shindaiwa's so that is all I buy and all I have for the guys.

Suggest however to buy a saw that you can get serviced locally. A good saw without service isn't a good saw for you.

PTS said:
I Vote for Shindaiwa and you won't change my mind. Shindaiwa has a 757 with a 28" Bar. It is the only brand saw we run in our company. We keep 20-30 saws in our fleet. We use to have a mixture of saw brands but I could get anyone to use the others once I got some Shindaiwa's so that is all I buy and all I have for the guys.

Suggest however to buy a saw that you can get serviced locally. A good saw without service isn't a good saw for you.
Shindawia, yea no one will even try

Tomcat said:
I need a bigger saw,I need atleast a 28 inch bar

what do the bigger saws run and where is the best place to buy them?
baileys is good there is alink here

Latest posts

Back