Looking for dump a body

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upperlimits

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,
I was hoping someone could give me there opinion. I have an 87 1 ton HD with a 12 foot body that's bad. I don't want to save it. I have an electric hydraulic pump currently. I have priced steel, and after finding out the high costs have decided at looking at used Arbortechs, and Southco bodies (take offs.) Will a 5' tall box be high enough for a one ton, or do I need taller like a 6 foot ? My next question is; if I find a used body that comes with the ram, etc and was designed for a pto system, can I use my current electric hydraulic pump instead of the original pto type set up? I would rather not buy a new pto if my old one will work fine. Hope someone can help.

you can do either height.

you can use you lift setup as well.just plumb you hydro lines into the cylinder on the body you use.

Height kind of depends on your chipper. We have a one ton, and had a 6' tall box, but hit too many trees while plowing snow. Rebuilt it and made it 4.5' tall, but now we have to raise the box halfway so we don't blow chips over the top of it. A benefit was increased fuel economy, but a little reduction in chip capacity. The truck also handles better now when it's loaded, before it could get to be very top heavy.

I have a 1 ton flatbed dump that I use as a chipper truck. I made my box from steel and can slide it on and off. It only takes 10 minutes to take off or put on. I built it myself. I used 1" box for all the supports. I used 4 inch angle on the bottom to ride on the truck bed. And I used 16 gauge sheet for the sides. I have around $600 in it. It's 5ft tall and works great. I have the electric over hydraulic dump also. The box holds about 11 yards full. That and the chipper(6k) make for a good load when full.

Scott

I have a 1 ton flatbed dump that I use as a chipper truck. I made my box from steel and can slide it on and off. It only takes 10 minutes to take off or put on. I built it myself. I used 1" box for all the supports. I used 4 inch angle on the bottom to ride on the truck bed. And I used 16 gauge sheet for the sides. I have around $600 in it. It's 5ft tall and works great. I have the electric over hydraulic dump also. The box holds about 11 yards full. That and the chipper(6k) make for a good load when full.

Scott

Sounds like a pretty awesome idea.

Scot you have any pictures????

Thanks

Mike

Looking for used Southco or Arbortech chip body

Thanks to everyone that responded to my post. I think that I will go with a 5 footer rather than 6. I don't want it any more top heavy than it needs to be since it is only a one ton. Any one know of someone or a place that has used Arbortech's or Southco's for sale at fair price? I really am looking for the storage and security that they offer. Are there any other similar brands that I'm not aware of? Thanks again

Sunrise Equipment usually has take off dumps from asplundh trucks. I think they are 11 feet long about 5-5.5ft tall and roughly 11-12 yards

Back