Looking to hire subcontractor to split firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

acf11

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking to hire some one to split 500 cords of firewood, you must have your own equipment, processor and chain saws and be experianced, you must have experiance and be able to complete the job in a timely fassion. Most wood is hard woods in log lenghs, From 6" diameter to 36"

Don
631-561-5788

$200 an hour & you got a deal, what equipment you want me to bring?

Ill take the first days pay in full prior to start, ill give ya 8 good hours of splitting "with my equipment" whattya say?

LXT..............

$200 an hour & you got a deal, what equipment you want me to bring?

Ill take the first days pay in full prior to start, ill give ya 8 good hours of splitting "with my equipment" whattya say?

LXT..............

I hope your ready to deliver 50-60 cords a day, If you have a Cord King and can produce huge numbers we can talk, If not get real, unless your an Attorney and that is your hourly rate and i need representation that would make sences! LOL thanks for the laugh!

Deliver????

nothing said about that in your lil ad, I figure hell...... if you want me to bring my saw, my spliter, my fuel, my tools, my experienced self & Insurance to boot (you said sub-contract right)..............Thats easily $200.00 an hour! whats gas cost per gal where you live? Diesel?

what do you think someone is gonna charge you for what you are looking for? I would like to know!...we all would like to know.

LXT..............

Deliver????

nothing said about that in your lil ad, I figure hell...... if you want me to bring my saw, my spliter, my fuel, my tools, my experienced self & Insurance to boot (you said sub-contract right)..............Thats easily $200.00 an hour! whats gas cost per gal where you live? Diesel?

what do you think someone is gonna charge you for what you are looking for? I would like to know!...we all would like to know.

LXT..............

I suggest if you want to earn $200 per hour that you go back to college, get your undergraduate degree, attend 3 years of law school, spending about $200k in tuition, pass the bar exam, work another 3-5 years for a law firm as a Paige, then you can ask for $200.00 per hour for your opinion! This is splitting firewood not brain surgery.

I'm paying By the cord, not by the hour, let me know what you want to split 500 cords!
or by the cord.
By the way Gas is $3.35 per gallon and diesel is $3.89, off road fuel is $3.00 a gallon.

As far as what i'm going to pay, that is for me to know and the winner of the contract!

Deliver????

LXT..............

When I said deliver I meant that you can produce 50-60 cords per day!

post a pic or two of the logs and you might get some real interest
processors are kinda picky as to what you feed them

Does a Cord King handle 36" diameter wood?

I'd be surprised. Wood from tree service companies usually isn't suitable for the firewood processors I've seen but I've not seen them all.

I have a local competitor who has two Cord King 60 series, he is running the same material as I want to process! We are both buying from the same companies! logs are long and straight for the most part! There are a few massive pieces that will need to me cut and split by hand but some local artist have expressed they are interested in using them for carving!

I will post pictures of the pile soon!

Undergraduate Degree...........dude you are funny!

you`re asking for alot & Im pretty sure what you are wanting to pay an illegal immigrant would laugh & run.....why not just do it your self? Im betting you have none of what you want a subcontractor to have cause if you did you would be splitting right now!!!

When you go price all the toys you want "the Sub" to bring with em....then maybe you`ll understand, its clear you have no idea & are fishing for prices...........you think someone is gonna show up with all their toys & split for you @ $50 / $100 hr.........if so? your drinking your own bath water! usually the employer states what wages they`re offering.....you want a sub & a bid? well Ill bet you get no bites for much less than what I Bid.............good luck, im sure you`ll find a sucker with all those toys, experience & insurance who is`nt currently splitting wood.....yeah right! :dizzy:

LXT...............

I have a local competitor who has two Cord King 60 series,

Why not ask him? or rent one off him.......!

he is running the same material as I want to process!

No! he`s running material you cant process & want someone else to @ 3rd world country prcice

We are both buying from the same companies! logs are long and straight for the most part!

Buying? C`mon.....you are buying the material?, want someone to process it? & you want to make back your money & profit to boot?......................GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!!! your competitor owns his stuff....you cant compete with him by doing what you are attempting!!!

There are a few massive pieces that will need to me cut and split by hand but some local artist have expressed they are interested in using them for carving!

Massive pieces that need to be hand cut?.....LOL, who`s doing that? you or the SUB?......Hell why not buy land & hire a logging company?.................BTW, what experience, tools & insurance do you have? you can provide a certificate of insurance to prove you are allowed to hire sub`s?

I will post pictures of the pile soon!

This should be good!!!

LXT................

Undergraduate Degree...........dude you are funny!

you`re asking for alot & Im pretty sure what you are wanting to pay an illegal immigrant would laugh & run.....why not just do it your self? Im betting you have none of what you want a subcontractor to have cause if you did you would be splitting right now!!!

When you go price all the toys you want "the Sub" to bring with em....then maybe you`ll understand, its clear you have no idea & are fishing for prices...........you think someone is gonna show up with all their toys & split for you @ $50 / $100 hr.........if so? your drinking your own bath water! usually the employer states what wages they`re offering.....you want a sub & a bid? well Ill bet you get no bites for much less than what I Bid.............good luck, im sure you`ll find a sucker with all those toys, experience & insurance who is`nt currently splitting wood.....yeah right! :dizzy:

LXT...............

I dont know why i keep dignifying your responces. Im offering a contract to some one who needs the work on a per cord bases! Im doing my part to stimulate the economy, what are you doing except complinging to me that I wont tell you what im paying. Here is the math!

I own a gardencenter business and we are not in the fire wood business all year but if I wanted to I could do it myself! I did place an add in craigslist and my phone has not stopped ringing with people who are looking for work and are willing to work for a reasonable rate, If I want, I can hire as many people as I want for $9-$10 per hour. purchase a moderate wood processor for $15,000 New that can do 2 cords per hour at 60% efficiency. So 3 men and a processor to split 500 cords is $7,500.00 in labor, $15,000.00 for a new processor. $1,800.00 for 2 new chain saws. $250.00 for extra chains and $250 for a sharpener. $875.00 for fuel. so for $25,675.00 I can do it my self plus I will own the processor and the 2 chain saws at the end of the day. Lets through in a used conveyor for stacking for $3,500.00 So for 29,175.00 I will own a new wood processor, used conveyor, 2 new chainsaw and sharpener plus 500 cords of wood.
I will retain the equipment Of $20,800.00 with 250 hours give or take a few.
The whole job will cost me $8375.00

I can liquidate the equipment for 65% of what i paid or 13,520.00

So I can do this job myself for a net cash layout of $15,655.00 Or just keep the equipment for another 5 years and my net operating cost will go down even more. the equipment will cost me $4,160.00 per year plus I can write of 100% of it on my tax return!

So now that I did all of the math for you, you have an idea of what im expecting to pay. By the way I do have 2 companies from NY and NJ that are putting together bids to do the work and they are rt in the ball park on a per cord bases!
If it works out I will purchase another 1000 cords to split this season to season for next year!

This should be good!!!

LXT................

Dude, you dont want the job, why are you bothering, If your time is worth $200.00 per hour, and you have work that will pay you $200.00 per hour then I would spend more time working then blogging on this site!
The wood belongs to me and the work will be perfored at one of my sights. again if some one can process 5-6 cords an hour than you will be averaging $200.00 per hour,
so if some one has a 60 series Cord King than can process 5-6 cords an hour, then they will average $200.00 per hour!

A new cord king 60 is $127,000.00 plus a 35 ft conveyor is $7500.00 a used wheel loader with a grapple buket is $25,000.00.
Some one who knows what they are doing and have an ample wood supply, some one can produce 15,000.00 cords a year.

Dude, you dont want the job, why are you bothering, If your time is worth $200.00 per hour, and you have work that will pay you $200.00 per hour then I would spend more time working then blogging on this site!
The wood belongs to me and the work will be perfored at one of my sights. again if some one can process 5-6 cords an hour than you will be averaging $200.00 per hour,
so if some one has a 60 series Cord King than can process 5-6 cords an hour, then they will average $200.00 per hour!

A new cord king 60 is $127,000.00 plus a 35 ft conveyor is $7500.00 a used wheel loader with a grapple buket is $25,000.00.
Some one who knows what they are doing and have an ample wood supply, some one can produce 15,000.00 cords a year.

:monkey:
15 thousand cords of split firewood a year would be quite an operation.

I dont know why i keep dignifying your responces. Im offering a contract to some one who needs the work on a per cord bases! Im doing my part to stimulate the economy, what are you doing except complinging to me that I wont tell you what im paying. Here is the math!

you not offering a contract, you want labor @ $9-10 hr but are scared of what you will get & for that kinda money they will not have any equipment, you`re not stimulating anything....you`re trying to general contract wood splitting & dont have a clue...along with the fact you cant spell either....cant imagine how you "own" a garden center & operate it? I actually charge & around 60 man hr so for 1 crew of 3...well you do the math since you`re so good at it

I own a gardencenter business and we are not in the fire wood business all year but if I wanted to I could do it myself! I did place an add in craigslist and my phone has not stopped ringing with people who are looking for work and are willing to work for a reasonable rate, If I want, I can hire as many people as I want for $9-$10 per hour.

Its clear you`re not in the firewood business!!....craigslist ad uh?....that says it all............you think $9-10 hr is reasonable? whats the name of this garden center you own that apparently hires illegal immigrants & slave labor...what is the WC rate as was asked earlier?

purchase a moderate wood processor for $15,000 New that can do 2 cords per hour at 60% efficiency. So 3 men and a processor to split 500 cords is $7,500.00 in labor

2 cords an hour???? if you split non stop for 10 hours a day it would take over a month!! not counting overtime for your labor force & the breaks required by law.....which would take even longer, guess you`re not stopping to fill that splitter, saws & are just gonna pizz & crap on site....uh? your math is a little off garden center store owner!!!

$15,000.00 for a new processor. $1,800.00 for 2 new chain saws. $250.00 for extra chains and $250 for a sharpener. $875.00 for fuel. so for $25,675.00 I can do it my self plus I will own the processor and the 2 chain saws at the end of the day.

Well there ya go........shell out tween $30-$40,000.00 & your good to go, yeah hell...dont worry about insuring that equipment so no need to factor in those costs.......yep you got it all figured out

Lets through in a used conveyor for stacking for $3,500.00 So for 29,175.00 I will own a new wood processor, used conveyor, 2 new chainsaw and sharpener plus 500 cords of wood.

Throw in AA`s lawn mower if ya want, just have one of your store cashiers take a picture of you running all this equipment...LOL NOT to mention by the time you get some one with all their equipment set up....or even if you could buy & set up all that you have mentioned..............it will be Xmas of 2012 by the time you get your wood processed & No profit cause you bought all this equipment that I doubt you even know how to run???

I will retain the equipment Of $20,800.00 with 250 hours give or take a few.
The whole job will cost me $8375.00

Again einstein better check your math!

I can liquidate the equipment for 65% of what i paid or 13,520.00

In this economy...........BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! just put it on craigslist, Im sure your phone wont stop ringing! LMFAO

So I can do this job myself for a net cash layout of $15,655.00 Or just keep the equipment for another 5 years and my net operating cost will go down even more. the equipment will cost me $4,160.00 per year plus I can write of 100% of it on my tax return!

How dumb are you.............100% write off, only an idiot would think that, not gonna depriciate it uhh, schedule that out over 5 years or more uh? just 100% write off & then when you sell it................can ya say capital gains!!!! you sure you own/operate a biz?

So now that I did all of the math for you, you have an idea of what im expecting to pay. By the way I do have 2 companies from NY and NJ that are putting together bids to do the work and they are rt in the ball park on a per cord bases!
If it works out I will purchase another 1000 cords to split this season to season for next year!

Yep..............you did the math, WOW!!!! what 2 companies....I just gotta know who would be so stupid to split 500 cords of wood @ what you would pay?? who....? A cord of wood goes for $150.00 here (average) I charge to split @ 60% per cord....thats $90 x 500 cord you say!!! guess what $200 an hour is right on cause I could have it done in 5 weeks, you make 40% to do nothing but deliver or load for pickup $20 thousand to do nothing & have no liability? on top of me having to hand cut & provide some "insured" help..............You obviously have no clue & in the end......hold on tight for what ya r gonna receive!!

LXT.....................this guy has no clue!!!!

It's only a little over 40 cords per day, seven days per week, 52 weeks a year.

If you're good with the math it's rather easy.

Hell I could do it while trolling the internet. :cheers:

Breakdowns and maintenance ?

Nah, run it flat out. Grease and oil after the last cord, LoL.

Funny how the real numbers look in black and white.

What is the workman's comp rate in your area for wood splitting laborers who run chainsaws?

Do you plan on having an employee training program so you are somewhat proteted from law suits that can arise from injured employees?

That why im hiring a contractor to run the show, he/she already has workmans comp and this is just a continuation of his or her policy! Im not looking to get married to this project!

BTW. I can buy processed firewood wholesale from $100-110. per cord this time of year!
delivered to my property!

Breakdowns and maintenance ?

Nah, run it flat out. Grease and oil after the last cord, LoL.

Funny how the real numbers look in black and white.

Grease and lube for the machine is every 25-50 hours, we are talking nicles and dimes here, do you want to add 20% to my number for an addional $3000.00

Some one with the equipment can do it for under $13,000 their cost. The contractor will add a healthy profit and still come in under budget!

Yep..............you did the math, WOW!!!! what 2 companies....I just gotta know who would be so stupid to split 500 cords of wood @ what you would pay?? who....? A cord of wood goes for $150.00 here (average) I charge to split @ 60% per cord....thats $90 x 500 cord you say!!! guess what $200 an hour is right on cause I could have it done in 5 weeks, you make 40% to do nothing but deliver or load for pickup $20 thousand to do nothing & have no liability? on top of me having to hand cut & provide some "insured" help..............You obviously have no clue & in the end......hold on tight for what ya r gonna receive!!

LXT.....................this guy has no clue!!!!

Cord king 60 series will do 6 cords an hour, at 70% efficientsy, I have seen the machine work and have had it demonstrated for me, so 10 hours a day is 60 cords, so lets call it 50 for you union workers, 6 days a week thats 300 cords per week, 50 weeks is 15,000 cords, lets add some break down time 4 weeks of down time thats 13,800 cords a year.
Why do you care how much im going to make as long as you get what you have coming!
Im not couting your money, why would you count mine!

Just to shut every one up, I plan on donating most of this wood to the neady who cant afford to heat there homes, who here is willing to donate their time and money at this scale?

That why im hiring a contractor to run the show, he/she already has workmans comp and this is just a continuation of his or her policy! Im not looking to get married to this project!

BTW. I can buy processed firewood wholesale from $100-110. per cord this time of year!
delivered to my property!

Theres's your answer. Buy all you can get, add on your markup, load and deliver.
No delays.
Done.

Hiring joe schmoe off of craigslist will end up costing many thousands of dollars in injuries and equipment malfunctions. Allowing non trained people with no vested interest in complicated machinery is like handing a chimp a hand grenade, not a question of "if" something bad is going to happen, just when.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back