Looking to hire subcontractor to split firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL, chimp with a hand grenade, reminds me of this..

Monkey with an AK-47

It's a sad day in America when you AS members ridicule a guy for wanting to donate 2000 cords of firewood to the "neady".

:cheers:

I dont know why i keep dignifying your responces. Im offering a contract to some one who needs the work on a per cord bases! Im doing my part to stimulate the economy, what are you doing except complinging to me that I wont tell you what im paying. Here is the math!

I own a gardencenter business and we are not in the fire wood business all year but if I wanted to I could do it myself! I did place an add in craigslist and my phone has not stopped ringing with people who are looking for work and are willing to work for a reasonable rate, If I want, I can hire as many people as I want for $9-$10 per hour. purchase a moderate wood processor for $15,000 New that can do 2 cords per hour at 60% efficiency. So 3 men and a processor to split 500 cords is $7,500.00 in labor, $15,000.00 for a new processor. $1,800.00 for 2 new chain saws. $250.00 for extra chains and $250 for a sharpener. $875.00 for fuel. so for $25,675.00 I can do it my self plus I will own the processor and the 2 chain saws at the end of the day. Lets through in a used conveyor for stacking for $3,500.00 So for 29,175.00 I will own a new wood processor, used conveyor, 2 new chainsaw and sharpener plus 500 cords of wood.
I will retain the equipment Of $20,800.00 with 250 hours give or take a few.
The whole job will cost me $8375.00

I can liquidate the equipment for 65% of what i paid or 13,520.00

So I can do this job myself for a net cash layout of $15,655.00 Or just keep the equipment for another 5 years and my net operating cost will go down even more. the equipment will cost me $4,160.00 per year plus I can write of 100% of it on my tax return!

So now that I did all of the math for you, you have an idea of what im expecting to pay. By the way I do have 2 companies from NY and NJ that are putting together bids to do the work and they are rt in the ball park on a per cord bases!
If it works out I will purchase another 1000 cords to split this season to season for next year!

I would do it all in house then. You can see you are allready opening yourself up to all sorts... like IXT! :laugh:

Yeah, I would do it all at the garden center, ya know build up. It seems the market is there. You can do well with a TW 7 or bigger. i have worked the big units as well, the kind that you lay a bunch of 36 inch logs on. That sounds like something you might want.

That why im hiring a contractor to run the show, he/she already has workmans comp and this is just a continuation of his or her policy! Im not looking to get married to this project!

BTW. I can buy processed firewood wholesale from $100-110. per cord this time of year!
delivered to my property!

Not looking to get married to it? Then why did you invest? Sounds like you want a body to dump this on. You ain't no boomhower are ya? Sounds like a bunch a hogwash coming from ya about all these numbers.

Yeah, for what you are asking a guy would need 200 an hour. Wouldn't you? See how that works? Its kinda ####ed up and all I know. Buts fact's facts. Who is the winner in the end? I dunno. I split my own Godam wood, sounds like you should do the same.

Not looking to get married to it? Then why did you invest? Sounds like you want a body to dump this on. You ain't no boomhower are ya? Sounds like a bunch a hogwash coming from ya about all these numbers.

Yeah, for what you are asking a guy would need 200 an hour. Wouldn't you? See how that works? Its kinda ####ed up and all I know. Buts fact's facts. Who is the winner in the end? I dunno. I split my own Godam wood, sounds like you should do the same.

If anyone can produce 5-6 cords per hour, I would pay it, again Im looking for some one who is going to split it on a per cord bases! We all know what the real number is!

I guess dude doesn't want to throw out a number as to what he considers fair. Maybe he thinks that somebody with equipment, insurance, and employees is going to work for $10 a cord which is not going to happen, but oh well. Maybe dude will realize that he can't make any money by subbing out the job just like every other tree guy who has tried it before him.

I guess dude doesn't want to throw out a number as to what he considers fair. Maybe he thinks that somebody with equipment, insurance, and employees is going to work for $10 a cord which is not going to happen, but oh well. Maybe dude will realize that he can't make any money by subbing out the job just like every other tree guy who has tried it before him.

if you have been reading this blog, you would realize that I have given the number out several times, you just need to do some simple math to back into it!

if you have been reading this blog, you would realize that I have given the number out several times, you just need to do some simple math to back into it!

I have been but I would rather have you do it for me that way everybody can hear it from the horses mouth so to speak.

I will give you a hint, some one wants $200.00 per hour and I agree to the number based on performance of producing 5-6 cords per hour. I would even bonus the contractor if he could produce more than 5 cords per hour based on the average i was willing to pay for the five cords.

I don't know if I can spell it out any simpler! this is not for everyone, but some one who can use some extra cash to get through the winter. if some one has a large processor they can blow through this pile in less than 10 days and if goes well i would even bring in another 1000 cords

Last edited:
acf11 said:
If some one can process 5-6 cords an hour than you will be averaging $200.00 per hour.
He did state what he's willing to pay, $33-$40 per cord for you to subcontract from him using your processor, your fuel, your insurance, and your labor and he expects you to produce 50-60 cord per day. The real question is how much it costs you per cord as a sub to do the work. I seem to remember a thread that dealt with the cost per cord to process firewood for yourself and it worked out to $50-$75 per cord.

here it is

Find the cost per cord of "free" wood

That why im hiring a contractor to run the show, he/she already has workmans comp and this is just a continuation of his or her policy! Im not looking to get married to this project!

BTW. I can buy processed firewood wholesale from $100-110. per cord this time of year!
delivered to my property!

Hoo, funny guy! If you're not looking to get married to this project, don't bother looking for the $#@#ing you're asking for.

Just buy the damm processed wood, mark it up and resell it.

Here's a news flash: Most anyone with the significant investment in equipment you're looking for is not gonna be real interested in your offer. They'll just call the logging company, have some more truckloads delivered, process and sell them without your help.

Giving to charity? Been there, done that, gonna be doing it again next weekend. A bunch of us on this site from MN and WI help Interfaith Caregivers by donating our time, equipment, and skills to a recognized charitable organization, and enjoy running saws and splitters for free. What charity are you working with? If this is something we can verify, perhaps there would be interest. Somehow I suspect you are just troollllling along however.

cost of a cord..............? this guy is not asking for just cord wood to be processed...he wants some of it hand cut & to boot he bought the wood! who knows what they`ll be getting into!

I was clear & said I would be done in 5 wks & gave a fair price.......this ball jerk wants to have it done for nothing & I would like to see him deliver it to the needy as he has stated......I say BS!!

If he supplies all the equipment & fuel, insurance, training, etc... adheres to all the laws the rest of us have to & operates legally....then hey, $10-$12 hr might not be bad! but Subbing out.....?

I calculated your profit jack wagon........cause you want to dictate mine & I have to supply everything while you do nothing!! now lets get down business & tell us what you really want to split 500 cords? if you can get a cord delivered for what you say????? then maybe you should of entertained barber college?

LXT...............

He did state what he's willing to pay, $33-$40 per cord for you to subcontract from him using your processor, your fuel, your insurance, and your labor and he expects you to produce 50-60 cord per day. The real question is how much it costs you per cord as a sub to do the work. I seem to remember a thread that dealt with the cost per cord to process firewood for yourself and it worked out to $50-$75 per cord.

here it is

Find the cost per cord of "free" wood

The cord king 60 @125,000.00 will kick out 50-60 cords per day If you ran it for 49 weeks of 1 year @40 per cord you would gross $700,000.00, even if yoou had to replace $25,000.00 in repairs and you paid 2 men another $100,000, fuel of $17,000.00, A used loader of $25,000.00, insurance of $8,000.00, one would still gross net of $400,000.00, you could trade in the processor every year for a new one for 60% of the original value and have a new machine every year! Even if it cost you another 200,000 to operate the business one would still come home with $200,000.00 Thats at $40.00 per cord
Thee way there comming up with the 50-75 per cord is based on them paying themselves $50 per hour for their man power.

cost of a cord..............? this guy is not asking for just cord wood to be processed...he wants some of it hand cut & to boot he bought the wood! who knows what they`ll be getting into!

I was clear & said I would be done in 5 wks & gave a fair price.......this ball jerk wants to have it done for nothing & I would like to see him deliver it to the needy as he has stated......I say BS!!

If he supplies all the equipment & fuel, insurance, training, etc... adheres to all the laws the rest of us have to & operates legally....then hey, $10-$12 hr might not be bad! but Subbing out.....?

I calculated your profit jack wagon........cause you want to dictate mine & I have to supply everything while you do nothing!! now lets get down business & tell us what you really want to split 500 cords? if you can get a cord delivered for what you say????? then maybe you should of entertained barber college?

LXT...............

$20,000.00 Like I would hire some one like you who has spoken down to me from day one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back