Looking to hire subcontractor to split firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not a logger or commercial firewood processor but do have almost 40 years of real world work experience under my belt. I have also spent quite a bit of time in the risk management arena and am well versed in insurance and workers compensation. There is obviously a reason you want to push this off on someone else and the prices that you receive will reflect the risk they incur.

If you want a reputable business person to respond and provide you with a legitimate price you need to be more forthcoming with information. Rather than telling someone to back into the math, why not be up front and tell them what the job pays? More importantly, what type of guarantee will the subcontractor have regarding payment, especially since it will be done at your location and then the work product given to needy families? Are you prepared to escrow the funds or obtain a bond to guarantee payment? Since the subcontractor is fronting all the costs, will there be intermediate payments before the 500 (or 1000) cords are split?

My suspicion is that there will be few here willing to do the job, for the work that is involved they would want full control of the operation and supply chain. People here don't like to be jerked around and I suspect that this thread is sufficiently tainted that most people are viewing it for the humor and not the work prospects.

By the way, you would be hired as an associate after completing law school, not as a "paige" (the correct spelling is "page"). Pages typically serve in a legislative setting, perhaps you were thinking of an intern.

$20,000.00 Like I would hire some one like you who has spoken down to me from day one!

Spoken down to ya............I made you an offer!!! you come back with a ridiculous rebuttal, math errors & apparently no clue as to how a legit biz operates & I talked down to you?

So what is the charity you are helping with this questionably legal operation? & I would like to see you answer some of the other posters questions!!!!!

ya gotta admit.............this has become a pretty entertaining thread, truth is I wouldnt waste a pop corn fart of energy working for this crap shelf as he is looking to make a killing off doing nothing & I hate these fly by night posters who come on here advertising work like they are "stimulating" the economy...........

acf11........get a steiner, a clue & offer your abilities/opportunities to AA.........2 peas in a pod you`d be!!!

LXT.................

Last edited:
Would this be one of those "I'll pay you after the job is completed and I sell the the wood" deals? If there's a performance/pay schedule of some kind maybe somebody will do it. Not me, though. The OP sounds like a jerk. And a dreamer.

Im thinking this is AA in cognito..............he`s hauled 5 cords of wood out of the bush with his steiner & make shift attached log buggy & now he wants to try a new venture............."premier adventures" New york based Pittsburgh entreprenuer seeks stupid wood splitter to labor for .10 cents a cord....LMFAO

tell me this guy doesnt come off just like em...............?

LXT..............

Oh, thanks a bunch Del!!! We just got rid of one village idiot and you send us another one. :msp_w00t:

You couldn't be further from the truth if you tried.

I haven't left, just taking a breather.:wink2:

Wow! You guys managed to drop 5 red Novas on this guy in short order. We were never able to do that with HBRN despite our best efforts. Just heard about AA over on the Chainsaw Forum, I will need to see what he is all about. :dizzy:

Back to the job at hand, where would this guy get 500-1000 cords of wood from out in Suffolk County, NY? Was there that much storm damage this fall? As an aside, I did a reverse lookup on 631-561-5788 and it comes back as a non published number.

With his number posted out there I am surprised no one called him at 3 in the morning to talk business.

The cord king 60 @125,000.00 will kick out 50-60 cords per day If you ran it for 49 weeks of 1 year @40 per cord you would gross $700,000.00, even if yoou had to replace $25,000.00 in repairs and you paid 2 men another $100,000, fuel of $17,000.00, A used loader of $25,000.00, insurance of $8,000.00, one would still gross net of $400,000.00, you could trade in the processor every year for a new one for 60% of the original value and have a new machine every year! Even if it cost you another 200,000 to operate the business one would still come home with $200,000.00 Thats at $40.00 per cord
Thee way there comming up with the 50-75 per cord is based on them paying themselves $50 per hour for their man power.

From a farmer's background, that 125 HP Deere in the processor will burn twice the $ in fuel you've quoted, assuming $3 fuel. Your used loader could well be due for a $12,000 engine or $17,000 transmission, god forbid it needs a new set of tires as well. That loader ain't gonna run on air either, now we're talking $50K in fuel alone.

Quit tryin to be a "firewood business manager" and buy the shi+ yourself and become a firewood business owner if it's so lucrative.

Keep the posts coming, I ain't got much better to do on a rainy Sunday than pick your claims apart.

Last edited:
Would this be one of those "I'll pay you after the job is completed and I sell the the wood" deals? If there's a performance/pay schedule of some kind maybe somebody will do it. Not me, though. The OP sounds like a jerk. And a dreamer.

He's looking for reverse shares...ha, ha, Lol.

Bad math for operating costs for quarter of million dollars worth of equipment to process 15,000 cords. Hell, the logistics alone handling the logs and moving processed wood.

This is awesome. Subbing up.

Maybe not a consideration for you professionals, but he also doesn't mention whether this wood is even seasoned enough to be burned. I would think that affects its value significantly. Since it appears he intends to sell or "donate" it in short order.

acf11 -

Think you need to have a GTG with HBRN and logbutcher.
You'd have a lot of valuable information to share with each other.
15,000 cords ought ta keep ya busy.

Maybe put together some tips and video of techniques and report back to the rest of us.

:laugh: laugh:

I read it all and it seems to me like a legitimate deal might have been offered. I would like to see who gets paid $200 per hour for a saw, splitter(not a processor) , man, fuel, oil whatever, that I would call BS. I have tons of equipment and I would jump at $100 per hour to run any of it. I don't have a processor but I would like to talk to the guy who is getting paid $200 per hour for his, I would buy one the next day.

I would pay settlements every 5 days for work performed

From a farmer's background, that 125 HP Deere in the processor will burn twice the $ in fuel you've quoted, assuming $3 fuel. Your used loader could well be due for a $12,000 engine or $17,000 transmission, god forbid it needs a new set of tires as well. That loader ain't gonna run on air either, now we're talking $50K in fuel alone.

Quit tryin to be a "firewood business manager" and buy the shi+ yourself and become a firewood business owner if it's so lucrative.

Keep the posts coming, I ain't got much better to do on a rainy Sunday than pick your claims apart.

Heres what I should do. pack all the wood in sea containers, send it all to china, have it processed and shipped back to me and get it all done for less than anyone else can do it for, Im sure we can out sorce this business too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back