Looking to purchase a chainsaw in the near future for cutting firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure what brand this is but it looks promising.
2romgkh.jpg

21cxdhv.jpg

Or a little NOS
2r7rlag.jpg

Nah too new. What about this?
View attachment 635665
Yes sir! That will do the job just fine. Mine are not that new. Do not own a saw that has not been messed with. That wrap 372 was just rebuilt and looks new. Waiting for Brett to sell his, then may post it. 365 was sold to local logger, after removing transfer baffles. 562 is a monkey done saw, man do I enjoy cutting with that one! :hi:

Turn the clock back a few years and find a solid-running Stihl 026 PRO. I found one for $220 and it's a dream come true for firewood processing:
Stihl 026 PRO.JPG
Stihl 026 PRO-2.JPG
Even if you had to pay $250, it's a good buy. I added the outside bumper spike, but I doubt you would need one. This is a saw that Stihl should never have discontinued.

Nah too new. What about this?
View attachment 635665
A little smaller than the 357 shown above by CuinRearView, the Husky 353 is a saw that I own and will never sell. Very hard to find, I got this one for the same price as my Stihl 026 PRO. It pulls an 18" bar without breathing hard and gets remarkable fuel economy. Husqvarna should never have discontinued this saw:
Husky 353 Chainsaw1.JPG

A little smaller than the 357 shown above by CuinRearView, the Husky 353 is a saw that I own and will never sell. Very hard to find, I got this one for the same price as my Stihl 026 PRO. It pulls an 18" bar without breathing hard and gets remarkable fuel economy. Husqvarna should never have discontinued this saw:
View attachment 635759
This would handle all of my firewood needs for the rest of my life. Great saw.

This would handle all of my firewood needs for the rest of my life. Great saw.
Agreed, and one of my friends owns a 357 XP. The 353 has amazing fuel ecoomy with that air injection idea. My 257 has more power but for what OP is intending to do, it seems like the 353 is a better fit. Here's another Pic:
Husky 353 Chainsaw2.JPG
The problem is, these saws are hard to find because very few owners want to sell them (like me). In fact, I bought a 350 and use it a lot because I want to give the 353 a breather on occasion. That's how much I respect it. Am I nuts? Not sure.

Agreed, and one of my friends owns a 357 XP. The 353 has amazing fuel ecoomy with that air injection idea. My 257 has more power but for what OP is intending to do, it seems like the 353 is a better fit. Here's another Pic:
View attachment 635764
The problem is, these saws are hard to find because very few owners want to sell them (like me). In fact, I bought a 350 and use it a lot because I want to give the 353 a breather on occasion. That's how much I respect it. Am I nuts? Not sure.
Yup, you're crazy. Crazy for not finding another 353. They're out there

for the simple reason that all my saws are worked hard and put away wet/dirty 5-6 days a week and have found that for me stihl lasts the longest
Our saws work hard in a commercial logging setup& we have tried Stihl but use Husky as they perform just as well last as long in some cases longer & were cheaper to purchase = no brainer Each to his own choice , but to discount all other brands is a bit OTT PS we have used a model from most brands in the last 30 years & at present run 10 saws which I service chain sharpen etc the point I was making was for a guy cutting fire wood presumably for himself he would find a better deal with something other than Stihl As an aide how many hours do you get from your Stihl before major repairs/trade in? curious as you state you run "em" hard & store wet

Our saws work hard in a commercial logging setup& we have tried Stihl but use Husky as they perform just as well last as long in some cases longer & were cheaper to purchase = no brainer Each to his own choice , but to discount all other brands is a bit OTT PS we have used a model from most brands in the last 30 years & at present run 10 saws which I service chain sharpen etc the point I was making was for a guy cutting fire wood presumably for himself he would find a better deal with something other than Stihl As an aide how many hours do you get from your Stihl before major repairs/trade in? curious as you state you run "em" hard & store wet
I didn't mean to be ott (over the top). I'm not the most reliable when it comes to saw maintenance, when the piston and cylinder burn out, its replaced once and when that goes the saw is either dumped or given away as it is totally wore outThe biggest problem I have is that the fuel from the pumps here in Ireland is not the best and usually the biggest problem is carbs. As for hours I had a early model 044 with a lot and I mean a lot of hours before it went belly up 2 years ago, on my next new saws I'll get a hour meter to see what hours they do

Like a few others have said for the money you cant be an Echo CS590. I have had mine for about a year and a half now and its my only saw I use it every chance I get. If I had to go do it all over again I would not hesitate to buy it again.

I didn't mean to be ott (over the top). I'm not the most reliable when it comes to saw maintenance, when the piston and cylinder burn out, its replaced once and when that goes the saw is either dumped or given away as it is totally wore outThe biggest problem I have is that the fuel from the pumps here in Ireland is not the best and usually the biggest problem is carbs. As for hours I had a early model 044 with a lot and I mean a lot of hours before it went belly up 2 years ago, on my next new saws I'll get a hour meter to see what hours they do

Very seldom is a saw "worn out". Almost all saws that die an early death is because of a lean condition that was not recognized before burning down the P/C. If a saw doesn't idle, carb adjustments don't make any difference, gets a racy buzzy sound that can't be tuned out, STOP and find out what is going on.

Echo 590 is by far the best value in the saw world. If that saw feels too heavy then look at the Makita 4300 or Husky 450.

I do not know what the list price is on the new Makita ranch grade 55 cc saw is, that looks to be a good choice as well.

When buying saws you choose any two from the "three legged stool" of power, price, and weight. As a side note, most Stihl saws cost more than a comparable saw from the other brands for the exact same specs.

I bought an Echo once when I had some fence line trees I needed to take out to rebuild the fence. I think I paid 89 bucks new at HD and it cut just fine. I bought a cheap saw because I knew I would be getting it down in the dirt cutting stumps down to ground level. The dirt did eat up the bar,chain and sprocket but I knew that was going to happen. I replaced the bar chain and sprocket and used that saw for several years. , But the bar would never stay tight and the chain always got loose before I ran a full tank through it. I then bought a MS290 and cut firewood with it for over 10 years and sold it. I paid 399, for it new and sole it for 300 bucks some 10 years later. I'm on my second 290 and I'm plenty happy with it.
I did own several sthil saws for back up saws and had a fleet of 5 saws at one point. But there so reliable I ended up selling all but 2 saws, I kept the 290 and 362 and have been very happy with both.
I worked for a tree company up in Maryland for a few years and they used all Husqvarna saws, They all worked fine and we never seemed to have any issues with them. I did have a MS170 that was kinda crappy, The saw cut fine but the throttle trigger kept jumping out of it's grove and causing issues.

Latest posts

Back