Looking to purchase a chainsaw in the near future for cutting firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The main thing to remember about cheap saws is duty cycle times. Cheap saws are not designed to run indefinitely like a better quality saw will.
True to a point. Although some of the better homeowner and farm/ranch saws will last just as long as their comparable pro models. Totally depends on the saws being compared.

Very seldom is a saw "worn out". Almost all saws that die an early death is because of a lean condition that was not recognized before burning down the P/C. If a saw doesn't idle, carb adjustments don't make any difference, gets a racy buzzy sound that can't be tuned out, STOP and find out what is going on.
I know how to adjust the carb properly, if i didn't then there's no point working in forestry sectors then is there......?

True to a point. Although some of the better homeowner and farm/ranch saws will last just as long as their comparable pro models. Totally depends on the saws being compared.
And depending on how they are maintained. I went to cut with my brothers Stihl and first thing I did was pull it apart, clean it, sharpen chain, air filter clogged and he asked me what I was doing. :crazy2: Made a bench for him and wife (she asked me to make it), so they could sit and view Three Sisters mountians form their back yard.

Time of year and cutting conditions are also important things to consider. I cut a lot in the hot summer months so heat is a big factor. I melted parts of that Echo when cutting large rounds and staying close to the log where the heat from the muffler would melt the plastic parts of the saw. I don't have that issue with better quality saws.

Time of year and cutting conditions are also important things to consider. I cut a lot in the hot summer months so heat is a big factor. I melted parts of that Echo when cutting large rounds and staying close to the log where the heat from the muffler would melt the plastic parts of the saw. I don't have that issue with better quality saws.
Absolutely agree.

I did not mean to sound argumentative, just was thinking if you are comparing a modern Poulan, Earthquake, or a 240 Husky to a pro saw and there's a big difference. Compare the longevity of something like a 350 Husky to it's pro counterpart and they are probably close to even lifespan.

Not at all, and yes I agree. I have the 290 witch is a ranch quality saw, a little above a home owners saw but not pro quality. I also have the 362 witch is a pro quality saw. I got over 10 years on my first 290 and it still was a great saw when I sold it. I did replace it with another 290 because I had good luck with the first one. The 290 and 362 both are great saws even though there not the same. They are very close though. So yes you can't compare the 3 types of saws equally.
I usually run one or two tanks and then let the saw rest and I clean up what I just cut, then take a break. So I don't run them very long at a time anymore.
When the saw runs out of gas, I'm usually out of gas too.

I usually run one or two tanks and then let the saw rest and I clean up what I just cut, then take a break. So I don't run them very long at a time anymore.
When the saw runs out of gas, I'm usually out of gas too.
That is what I normally do as well. I usually process a tree or two at a time so I often run out of wood before the saw even runs out of gas.

Of all the saws I have owned and operated, the one that has been used the most in a single cutting session is probably the MS211 at the children's camp. I have cut a lot of 18-24" stuff with it and done a lot of noodling because it was the only saw we had available out there and when I am travelling 1200 miles I often cannot bring one of my larger saws with. And to couple that with the fact that others at camp have ran it without bar oil a few times means that saw has probably gotten pretty hot yet it still runs great.

It sounds like we are getting a larger saw donated to camp thanks to a couple of kind members here so that little saw will get some relief!

That is what I normally do as well. I usually process a tree or two at a time so I often run out of wood before the saw even runs out of gas.

Of all the saws I have owned and operated, the one that has been used the most in a single cutting session is probably the MS211 at the children's camp. I have cut a lot of 18-24" stuff with it and done a lot of noodling because it was the only saw we had available out there and when I am travelling 1200 miles I often cannot bring one of my larger saws with. And to couple that with the fact that others at camp have ran it without bar oil a few times means that saw has probably gotten pretty hot yet it still runs great.

It sounds like we are getting a larger saw donated to camp thanks to a couple of kind members here so that little saw will get some relief!

That's why I like cutting green wood, it's much easier on the bar and chains. It cut easier, runs cooler then dry wood. I've cut dry RR ties before and they will destroy a bar and chain real quick.

That's why I like cutting green wood, it's much easier on the bar and chains. It cut easier, runs cooler then dry wood. I've cut dry RR ties before and they will destroy a bar and chain real quick.
I agree. I sure go through chains out there quickly versus when I am home cutting green softwood!

Last year a farm lady wore out her Wally World Poulan Wild Thing and asked me to find a good used Stihl for her that she could afford. I rebuilt a Stihl 025 for her and she loved it. No complaints at all, she paid me $150 for it and has used it several times. A new MS 251 would have been $200 more. That's another one OP might look into, but the 026 PRO is way above it in my book.

I slow down in the summer because of the heat, and I change my hours to take advantage of the cool mornings and evenings, I'll even work at night to escape the heat. I try to get as much done when it's cooler as I can. Summers are more work because of the mowing and limb trimming I do every year. Plenty of chores to keep me busy year round. When it hits 95+ I run and hide. lol

OP, sorry to derail your thread. Hopefully one of the many aforementioned models will work for you!
Yes, sorry for the derailed thread, but maybe he will get something out our experiences with different saws and our discussions about them.

My advice would be to buy from the dealer you are comfortable with and treats you best.
When i was looking at service on a stihl weedeater i owned i went into the local Stihl shop. Guy saw it was purchased elsewhere and said its junk throw it out. Disposable product.

So i went down the road to small engine guy who is also Husqvarna dealer. He looked at the Stihl weedeater and showed me the plugged screen in exhaust. No charge as he told me to clean at home.

We now have bought 2 leaf blowers, 2 chainsaws and a snowblower. All Husqvarna. Never looked back.

My previous Husqvarna 450 X torque was nice but i really like my new 562XP.

My advice would be to buy from the dealer you are comfortable with and treats you best.
When i was looking at service on a stihl weedeater i owned i went into the local Stihl shop. Guy saw it was purchased elsewhere and said its junk throw it out. Disposable product.

So i went down the road to small engine guy who is also Husqvarna dealer. He looked at the Stihl weedeater and showed me the plugged screen in exhaust. No charge as he told me to clean at home.

We now have bought 2 leaf blowers, 2 chainsaws and a snowblower. All Husqvarna. Never looked back.

My previous Husqvarna 450 X torque was nice but i really like my new 562XP.

Some dealers are good, some are not, but I don't think it's brand related. If your happy with the one you found, stick with them.

I should clarify i did not mean to specify a brand. I know Stihl are good as is Husqvarna. I meant to say pick someone who treats you well and you are comfortable dealing with.

The guy that treated us well has gotten all of our business.

Latest posts

Back