love a 3 saw woodcutting combo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love the trifecta--my WoodBoss is too big for all day work--but the Husky 435 and MS211 do most of the work. The 435 has cut about 20 cords of wood so far--and still goes strong. A new chain is $20 at Lowes--I can get 3-4 solid days work with each chain. I never seem to get that edge back with sharpening--so I toss it and buy a new one.

I know this is wasteful--any thoughts????
go to harbor freight and buy their $40 grinder. you'll figure it out after you ruin a couple chains and its a cheap cheap way of getting the job done

Love the trifecta--my WoodBoss is too big for all day work--but the Husky 435 and MS211 do most of the work. The 435 has cut about 20 cords of wood so far--and still goes strong. A new chain is $20 at Lowes--I can get 3-4 solid days work with each chain. I never seem to get that edge back with sharpening--so I toss it and buy a new one.

If I pay shipping, can I have all your "junk" chains?

Finally,for the first time i got to use 3 saws to cut firewood!!! Man how nice it is, to run 3 saws,and not have to refuel OR SHARPEN OR CHANGE CHAINS on any of them....used all 3 saws,till out of fuel,and the wood was all cut.................028 with 18" .325 rm chain,ms361 with 20" 3/8 rm chain,044 with 20" bar rm chain................YEE HAW!!

Weren't you the guy who always buys rs or risk chain?

Buy a stihl filing kit for 3/8 picco (low profile) it's easy to use, you don't have to remove the chain, or clamp anything to the bar. You should be able to increase your chain life by about 400%.

I have the 3 saw plan too. Ms250,361, and 046 here. If my 046 can't cut it, not sure I would want to either.
I concur. I have a 32" ES guide hanging, but I'll probably never use it out of fear of having to process that huge chunk! 24" lightweight is the max I need.

I use: ht130 12", 020 T 14", and MS 260 PRO 16"

28 wood boss for the light stuff, 38 for medium to large, and ms441 for the huge stuff. I love my 38, the 441 isn't quite broke in. But that's about to change, I just bought a 20 in. bar for it. Oh yea Im ready!!:D

I have a MS250, muff modded MS361 and a Dolmar 7900. I am finding that I rarely take the MS361 anymore. Only when I am cutting the down and long dead locust or hedge, just so I don't have to stop and sharpen a chain while in the field. The little MS250 seems to be my go to saw as it is so lite and easy to handle, but when I want to get it done, I grab the 7900 and do it.

Many options for you in this situation. And the Buy it at Lowes is the option I would chose last. I'm going to assume you have the 14 inch bar on a 435. I have the same saw only its red and starts with Jon. Anyhow the chains Lowes sells for that saw is probably the low kickback Safety style chain. If its Oregon its OK and not as bad as the saw snobs on this site will have you believe, but there are better options out there.

Click on the Baileys blinker at the top of this page. Look at the Woodsman Pro 30LP chain. Count your drivers on your chain and put a couple of them in your cart. You'll be quite happy with the increased amount of chips your saw will be throwing. Probably be cheaper also. You may even find a deal and get the free bottle of their synthetic mix on a sale. This chain makes the saw bounce a little in the cut but and is grabbier but the increase in performance is noticeable. Then, look at the box that the chain comes in and there will be a file size listed. That you can buy at Lowes, with the guide that someone mentioned above. Try as he stated and learn how to hand file. I bet you can sharpen all your chains faster than it will take you to get back and forth from Lowes.

Another option is to take those chains to a chain saw shop and get them sharpened there. They should charge $5. I think that's what they charge here. I have only thrown out a couple chains ever and that was because they were just to the point that they couldn't be sharpened again. I have a few chains that were rocked and need to be taken to the shop to be put on the grinder. Bur I save rocked chains on a separate nail and take down about 5 at a time every 3 or 4 years. I probably have somewhere around 30 chains for my saws and different bars.

As far as my 3 saw plan it depends what I am cutting. Look at my signature and take a pic of the 3 you would chose. If I have old gas I grab the Olys and tear into it. I use my 945's a lot. I find myself grabbing the 346 with the 20 inch bar the most. Reguardless of wood size. That thing just tackles any thing the bar fits in. Since I got that saw, I rarely use my Jonsered 2065 because the Husky is that good, and so much lighter. The 346 renders all 56 to 60 cc saws to the sold category for me. I got a 2239 Jonsered that I put a 16 inch bar from a Poulan Woodshark on with the 30 LP chain mentioned above and have been using that for everything up to 8 inches. I also have the 40cc Ryobi for the same wood. That thing rips for a small saw.

That tree in my avatar would call for the 7900 and the Oly 999 and any number of 50cc saws in my sig. That was a job I got payed for. I'm getting to old to be looking for firewood from trees that big. But they will get the YA YA'S out running the big saws.

Back