lowballing a job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you ever intensionaly low bid a job because you realy wanted to do it?

• Never, it is bad buisness

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Tried, but never got the job/

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Concidered it, but never went through

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I've done it when the job looked fun, or chalenging

Votes: 21 91.3%

• Total voters
I too hate being the first person to bid a job. Typically the customer wants the best price for the work that is to be done, therefore, they sometimes let the previous bids slip out, thus allowing for the competition to swoop in and steal the job. It can be really frustrating to loose a job by a reletively small amount, when you know that if you had of given the same bid later on or if the homeowner had of kept their mouths shut, the bid probably would have gotten you the job!

Oh well, it's all part of the game. This scenario can work for you sometime and against you at others.

I usually give a fair price but, have had customers try to leverage my price down by stating someone else qouted a lower amount.I am a little flexable but will walk before getting roped into a job that is far too much work or risk for the customers so called other price.But since I'm a small operator I suppose others have accused me of low balling?It's up to the customer in the end,theres more to it than just the price.*The older I get,the better I was!*Mikey

If I'm bidding, I'd never undercut someone else's price if the home owner let it slip, unless I knew that homeowner and knew that they were OK. If I give a price and they try to talk me down, I stand my ground. I give what I think is a fair price, both to me and the customer. Most people I come across accept my price, and often think it's reasonable. In my experience, the ones who try to to knock you down will also try to squeeze more work out of you when you get to site ("can you just do this...and can you just do that..."), and are more likely to be unhappy or ungrateful with what you do do.

And I've also overbid many jobs that I don't want:D Overbid one today that I knew what the other guy quoted(bigtime hack) and intentionally overbid by his quote by $75, customer didn't even know what the guy was going to do just knew he was cheaper:rolleyes: Tried to tell me his price was half mine, his neighbor already told me the amount of the quote:p

I have made miles of posts about bidding and the minutia of running a business. I have done it. If it looks fun or is in a place where I will get residual business, then that changes my opportunity costs. Simple as that. Do what you want. If you just can't stand hearing no then you will be out of biz SOON. NO lets you know you are in the right place.

Originally posted by Ghivelder
How much was your percentage on his bid?;)
Not me:eek: Don't associate with the hacks

Unless they buy the beer

Yeah fun, challenging. or I'm "Hungry". Unfortunately I do it too often unintentionally.-Today, probably could have gotten 25% more without a quibble.

Stumper,

I too have been a victim of the under-bidding experience. I am currently working a grid system of communities of around 3000 people each. Doesn't sound like much, but due to the limitations in trained expertise, there is years upon years of work ahead of me. The problem arises in that the people aren't used to paying for professional services. They are used to paying the weekend 'hack' from down the street to do their 'tree care'. You know the kind of guy......he's a high school teacher by day, but a tree care worker by night......self-taught and qualified because he owns a chainsaw! I know that I could be typically getting anywhere from 25 to 40% more to do the same work in the city, but I am hopeful that over time I will be able to build up an excellent reputation and constant client base and therefore be able to charge what I deserve............or perhaps what the market says I should be getting! :D

Last edited:
I do what I call "bid to get the job" when I really want it, that is a bid where all my costs are covered and I am making just enough to not be mad at myself. I hate playing the price beating game, I typically will tell someone this is what it will take for me and my crew to do the job safely, and to your specs for ground impact and clean up. I will usually knock off $25 -$50 depending on the size of the job if they stark dickering. I will tell the customer that I can afford to knock off the small amount, but really the price I gave is my best price. Some people are not happy and think they are getting screwed if they can't talk you down a little, no matter where the price is.

Never tell them that the other guy is a hack, let them draw that conclusion on their own. I like to talk to them like a friend, I'll tell a customer even if I think that they are not going to get other bids....You want to make sure you use a company that works, prunes, climbs in accordance with the ANSI standards, and explain what that means in realtion to safety and plant health. I also tell them to call the insurance company to verify that their poilcy is still current. I also like to look around and find small stuff that I know my gound crew can take care of in a few minutes..ie.We will also take care of those low (pole saw) dead limbs on that other tree while we are here, and the trunk of that tree really needs to have the much moved back so the base of the tree is not burried...etc...

Greg

I like that Greg. I've used "Value Added" techniques in selling before too. This is what i need and this is what I'll throw in because my help will be standing around, or I can knock it out quick while they are chipping.

When running the lead I will always throw in some extra work on the bid; crab $30, pick prune junipers 65, prune young maples to promote good branch structure 40. I could often get a good days work on a lead that would have been around a half days revenue.

Another thing I've done is ask if I can take the crummy crab, ash or whatever out at no extra charge cause it is in my way. "we'll grind both stumps too."

Hey Guys......Tip for you all, never turn up to quote a job in working clothes , always turn up(ON TIME) in a shirt and tie , new vehicle, or at least clean!!, converse politely and always listen to what they got to say, (whether its crap or not) then explain your views on the situation, firstly by assuring them (if possible) you will personally oversee the job , and will not use sub-contractors, explain how you will leave the site as you found it, minus the limbs etc, and finally work out the price and stick to it ....quoting in bright colours that any additional work will be charged acccordingly, ... beleieve me you'll get the job,and possibly referalls as well......Jock

I just cringe when i know i'm the 3rd or 4th to bid and the customer says right after you give them the price without hesitation "When are you going to start?????" I figure i must have overlooked something . And am in for a surprise.

Jock, There is a bit of a cultural difference here. Working clothes are acceptable. Even being somewhat dirty from working is okayIF one still portrays a certain degree of neatness in appearance and displays a proffessional attitude.

Sorry Jock but I gotta side with Stumper on this one. Most people on this side of the pond would prefer to see the guy who is actually going to do the work, not a 'stuffed shirt' who earns a large commission driving around in a new car selling jobs. Ties in Florida are unheard of except for lawyers and some office execs, most of which get paid entirely too much money for what they contribute to society. Most clients would rather hire the clean cut tree guy in a clean work shirt than some guy in a tie selling a product.

The rest of your observations are absolutely true.

Jock, over here you get better results if you're in clean work clothes.

People seem to feel better if your in the proper costume, look like you do the work.

Nice looking truk don'ty hurt though...

Hi David,
I think the answer to the question in your signature tag might be found by reading in between the lines of your above post.....

The solution may be to RAISE YOUR PRICES!!!!

and I recommend everybody take a look in the mirror and affirm that we deserve it.

Once your sure of that then raise your prices again

God Bless All.
Daniel

Back