M Tronic or Standard carburetor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be honest and admit I have never used or even closely examined the new saws.When you purchase a new saw why cant they just give you stick with the code reader for the saw and you could repair it at home.John Deere and the other big companies have been in court for years saying no one should be able to alter the performance of their equipment.Basiclly they are saying you dont own the equipment you only have the right to use it
Kash
Some automakers lock the hood and it can only be opened at a dealership

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Some automakers lock the hood and it can only be opened at a dealership

Never seen this, but its going that way. I'm sure most here are aware of the John Deere service controversies - and I see both sides of that argument but believe the right to repair push is very important and side more with consumers.

Look up OBD III for on highway vehicles of you're really interested. It will never happen, but there have been discussions on shutting vehicles down which have the check engine light illuminated to prevent pollution.

Its all essentially a non topic now with the transition to electric which will happen...just a matter of time

Care to elaborate? What automaker, where on the globe? I have heard of limp mode.
Ill have to find it, i saw it on TopGear years ago, the car lacks a hood release and there was a port in the grille for a dealer key to release it.

There is and if your commercial they won’t cover ****! Im going through it now on a saw I bought in March and has been nothing but a problem thats why I’m on here now trying to figure out what I can do on my own since m tronic is garbage and unreliable. While I’m at it has anyone retro modded a 201tc into basically a 200t? I’m curious about that. My 260, 360, 362 w/adjustable carb, 461, 066 & 372xpw have all been flawless but this year I bought a 201tc and 362c and am thoroughly unimpressed. I’m just counting the days until the 362 ***** the bed like the 201 did. Ethanol free since day one. I’ve been told by a few different dealers it’s my fuel my mix I’m idling too long this and that though nobody has ever opened the saw up or truest diagnosed anything they are just trained at their classes to regurgitate the garbage they are taught. I grew up with saws and dirt bikes from a very young age (life on a cattle farm) joined forest service at 18 and became a sawyer I can run saws and am beside myself when I’m told “your doing something wrong” I’m not claiming to be an expert but I’m not new to engines of many varieties and I’m certainly not doing anything that I’ve been accused of doing by dealers who refuse to stand by the products they are selling. If anyone has any tips about the m tronic crap I’m all ears as it’s new to me and I need it fixed. Just received some service manuals so thanks a ton to those guys.
Let me see if I can help you on the 201, IT will reset itself if you start it on choke and let it run for 60 sec. If it will not do this, check your muffler it will most likely be stopped up. you may just have to take the screen out. If it is stopped up the saw will not idle on choke and have very little power at WOT . Check this and let me know. They run best at 50 to 1 ratio more oil and the muffler will clog up.

I will check muffler but I have already checked screen and burned out the carbon back to new and still same result of not idling on choke. I’ll try to blow out muffler this morning and see if that helps any. I’ll also give 50:1 a shot, I’m just used to mixing a bit more oil for my other equipment. Thanks for the helpful tip.

Look up OBD III for on highway vehicles of you're really interested. It will never happen, but there have been discussions on shutting vehicles down which have the check engine light illuminated to prevent pollution.

That would be the end of me ever buying a new vehicle.

I already don't like the new diesels that give you a certain number of starts or distance if your DEF tank runs dry or DEF system breaks, and then it goes into limp mode until it's refilled or fixed. Doesn't take much to see how this could get someone killed in an emergency situation.

As to the original topic, I'll never own another carb'd vehicle again. I don't miss carburetors at all, even a little bit. My saws are carb'd and I'm really looking forward to when it makes sense to switch to M-tronic or EFI.

No kidding. I refuse to own anything newer than ‘07-‘08 I’d rather figure out how to fix the ok’d than adapt to the new

No kidding. I refuse to own anything newer than ‘07-‘08 I’d rather figure out how to fix the ok’d than adapt to the new
What was special about 2007/2008 versus later years in terms of complexity and technology?

The tech resistance here has determined that you want a vehicle from before 1982 to avoid computers, electronics and complexity (ideally 1970).

No? That’s too old?

Ah, true. I forgot rule 2 of the tech resistance:

“All new product technology shall be deemed inferior to previous years of product technology. However, product technology that predated your 16th birthday shall not be deemed superior.”

It’s quite comicable and sad how far people can take a comment another makes and just how many are up for argument on here. I like what I like and it boils down to being able to fix something myself, being affordable, parts availability, and cost of parts. for example In gas engines he’ll yeah I love my old fords. all through the 70’s and older, absolutely. My preference tends to be diesel and again the basis is simplicity (no spark = one less step) 2007 or ‘08 is when the epa constrictions began to really take hold and killed great motors everywhere yet simultaneously pollution credits could simply be bought and sold so really pollution was still totally fine so long and pollution credits were bought. Very nice. That’ll solve climate change! Take the Ford 6.0 Powerstroke for example. Great engine if you delete all the emissions crap. Yes it still uses technology, sensors ect but once the emissions was removed it was reliable and solid.
What’s with all the opposition to one guys opinions? They are mine and that’s fine. what have you invested in my opinions? All I’ve said is the kinds of tech that ruins reliability, costs a fortune to work on, in both parts and digital tooling or all together made for the common man to not be able to repair is simply not for me.
My opinion doesn’t weigh in over your decisions. Use all that stuff you want. If you can afford it go ahead that’s fine. I choose not to and that’s fine too. The childish stabs about the age of someone is silly and matters not. So I’m young at 32 what does it matter? I was raised to be self reliant by my father and grandfather often working on old dozers, harvesters, tractors, trucks, trailers, pto tools etc. I learned from a very young age on the farm that **** breaks and it’s up to you to fix it. If you want something and it’s tangible to build then build it yourself. With the trends of today, those are ways of the past for the most part, but I don’t desire to forget where I came from and just let it all go. I often run circles around guys nearly twice my age in the fields I’m in. Some like that and others hate it. It is what it is. However, I choose to be humble and learn from the old timers as they are the ones who taught me and set me up to seek and find the knowledge, be self reliant and to do what I do. That came to be simply by being present around them in my early developing years. At my age now, I also own and operate my own general contracting business and provide many services I learned from my upbringing and experiences, offering everything from welding and fabrication to remodels, construction, tree climbing, mechanics and so on.
Not to toot my own horn but I like that stuff and decided a long time ago, why rely on others to provide my pay and my experience by working for someone else.
Why not get paid to do the things I like doing and do for free in my own time for enjoyment? So there you have it if you must know this is why I say what I say. Pick all the holes you want in it if you need to. I think it’s ridiculous but I can’t stop you.
When it comes to tech resistance on saws I’ve owned many and had countless hours on them both for work as a wildland firefighter, for fun, for firewood my whole life and for my business which I also highly enjoy.
Are you an mtronic logger? Because I’ve personally never heard of a single one here on the west coast where I live. I don’t know about the east coast but I have my opinions on that as well and personally see no reason for myself to ever stray that far. I hope that answers your question.

I’ve also never heard of anyone having such issues retuning a saw when they head up into the mountains to cut and again in my opinion those who have that issue might ought to stay on the porch because that is some of the most rediculous **** I’ve ever heard

I’ve also never heard of anyone having such issues retuning a saw when they head up into the mountains to cut and again in my opinion those who have that issue might ought to stay on the porch because that is some of the most rediculous **** I’ve ever heard
i have never had an issue with being able to, but it's nicer to not have to.

More power to you, that’s just fine to. I truly enjoy tuning a saw. Something about it to me is highly satisfying. Just the way I was built I guess.

KodiakForge- easy there, didn’t mean to trigger you. I think you missed my points (or earlier posts). I wasn’t calling out your age (and I don’t regard you as young) but rather the psychology around technology that is fairly widespread.

1) People tend to gravitate towards the technology that was most prevalent in their teens and early 20’s.

2) Once people master or become proficient with a technology and can wield it with skill they get irritated when something newer replaces it.

3) The government or epa has recently caused us the most woes.

I would argue the 1970’s had the greatest impact on our vehicles that was immediately tangible. Pellet catalytic converters and a sea of emission controls reduced the output of big cubic inch V8’s from 400hp to 145hp in some cases. The 1970’s were a depressing time in automotive.

Now we think it’s awful we add a few dollars of Def fluid every 5000 miles with no impact on horsepower.

I was an auto technician years ago. It used to costs thousands to buy a computer to do work. Now I can clear codes and do diagnostics with an iPhone and a $70 OBD2 Bluetooth connector. I love the ease of modern repair and the data.

Wait and see-eventually everyone will be checking their saw stats on their smartphones and tweaking them with third party software. It will cost virtually nothing and people will come up with custom programs. The future is bright for enthusiasts.

My apologies for the misreading into your comments. I got on here and made a few opinionated comments but have been bombarded by various others on other topics and I suppose my trigger is at the wall so to speak today. I agree with you completely, though I have not ever heard about people gravitating toward what they were exposed to as a teen but I suppose I’m very guilty of that. I have some phone tools for that but they tend to fall short on a number of applications I wish I had access to and every time I look into it my jaw hits the floor 3-4K for scan tools that let you truly access stuff is a lot. But I hear you and I do agree. I’ve already decided on the older and have chosen my platforms and will rebuild them until the end but my ways are not for everyone. My apologies again.

My biggest complaint with new tech stuff is a small serviceable part is made to be replaced as a assembley vs the small likely much cheaper part. It happens everywhere with many applications. I see many people's arguments from both sides. So many things in the auto world are interconnected and piggyback through each other. Why does a car need a alternator regulated by the ecm? Internal regulated alt is simpler and much easier to diag and service. Fuel injection is great but..... How alot chose to do it isn't user service friendly. Even dealer Tech's have many complaints.

The solenoid is about 30 bucks , it is the problem when you have a M Tronic problem , 99% of the time it is nor the M Tronic at all . For the most part owners are not capable of working on their saw. And right off the bat they yell M tronic is junk. I cry BS I work on them for a living and it is very rare for me to even have to put a solenoid on. But my customers keep the fuel filter changed And use the orange filter.
I would be willing to bet most that complain about the M Tronic have never ran one much less owned one!!

My expectation is that i will never have to go to the dealer for any problems with my echo saws. I believe they will not disappoint. I have a 30 year old cs-280 that still runs whenever i want it to.
If the new tech is that reliable then I'm on board with it. My toyota has 355k miles on it with no major repairs. So tech can be reliable but it has to prove it to me first.

Latest posts

Back