M Tronic or Standard carburetor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmb2613

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I work for a Stihl dealer, I also buy and sell a few saws [ Stihl only] . And I would rather have a M Tronic saw to sell than a Standard carb one hands down. One thing about the m Tronic, I dont have to worry about a customer leaning it out and burning up the top end.
David

The scanner is not a magic box with all the answers. 99% of the time the problem is not related to the M Tronic. Same problems as a regular saw, clogged muffler, fuel line or filter. And when it is the M Tronic it is the solenoid most of the time or a broken wire.
Most of the complaints of the M Tronic come from people that have little to no experience with them

The scanner is not a magic box with all the answers. 99% of the time the problem is not related to the M Tronic. Same problems as a regular saw, clogged muffler, fuel line or filter. And when it is the M Tronic it is the solenoid most of the time or a broken wire.
Most of the complaints of the M Tronic come from people that have little to no experience with them
I was a strong hater of MT, but I have very much changed my mind.

Guys are playing with eliminating the MT online, I and wondering how to retrofit older saws for it. Once they got the kinks out, it became a wonderful system to use.

If you ever have to lend a saw out, there is no fussing with tune. I forget to bring a little screwdriver out with me often now. No worries about leaning the saw out and burning it up.

There‘s something to be said about a saw that always starts and always is in tune. Sharpen chain and go cut.

For these reasons, my MS261CM and 462 are my go to saws for 99% of my work. I own around 30 saws, but when I am not in the mood to play around and just need to get things done, I grab the above 2, a file, and Mix/Oil.

Its frustrating when a saw won’t run right, but as stated above, it’s 99% not the MT. It’s a whole different learning curve and decision tree when MT comes into play. I’ve definitely wanted to fix an MT saw with the BFH, but it was never the MT in my cases (at least when they went with the new white universal solenoid).

I work for a Stihl dealer, I also buy and sell a few saws [ Stihl only] . And I would rather have a M Tronic saw to sell than a Standard carb one hands down. One thing about the m Tronic, I dont have to worry about a customer leaning it out and burning up the top end.
David
Are the strato saws without M Tronic are they more likely to come in burned up than the conventional type?

What counts as a standard carb. I have a MS251 and the the part above the butterfly and the part below differ in only one part gets fuel.

I've had nothing but trouble with the M tronic. I've only been running saws every day for 30 years but I'd gladly trade a new m tronic saw for a carb saw of the same. Brand new 661 stopped idling 2 days after the warranty ran out. It's the low idle solenoid. $45 for the solenoid and $100 for labor. No thanks. Bought the solenoid and replaced it myself. Crappy testing and crappy customer service. A brand new saw shouldn't need touched for a while. Especially electrical parts. My 261c won't hardly start once hot. Have to grab my old reliable 026 when I need a saw to actually crank and run. My 201Tc starts ok. Not nearly as much power as the 200t and about half the fuel mileage. It's sad that we're going backwards in saw advancement instead of forward. This is just my experience though. And everyone I work with. And all the other tree services and loggers in my area.

My M-tronic saws work good with one exception. The MS362 needs to be idled for a few seconds before being shut down. Otherwise if I start it hot it will be too rich and need to have the throttle open wide to start. The 241 is a newer generation M-tronic and does not have that problem. Both M-tronic saws always run perfectly tuned. The regular carb saws need retuning for winter and summer at a minimum. We're close to the coast which moderates our temperatures. If I was somewhere that had wide swings in temperature I'd be tuning much more often.

I have so little faith in anything electronic anymore that it's not funny. For the guy that just wants the saw to run and is wiling to pay the dealer to scan and reset his saw when it needs it, it's probably great. It's surely great for the dealer. For the do it yourself types, not so much.
You can recalibrate the saw yourself. AND IT WILL DO IT AUTOMATICLY after 20 min use. Anyone who thinks a saw will fail because of calibration is wrong. Let me tell you one thing. We've had the MDG since it was available. It sits. No way in hell it's come close to paying for itself. I cant remember one time it actually help. Most problems I see are solenoids from lack of service. Dealers who claim the must "Hook it up" and recalibrate often are fos.
They're preying on the customers ignorance.
And now that the software has changed, the only info I ever used, the fuel numbers, are gone.
Only time intervals for RPM.
And you used electronics to post here.

I have so little faith in anything electronic anymore that it's not funny. For the guy that just wants the saw to run and is wiling to pay the dealer to scan and reset his saw when it needs it, it's probably great. It's surely great for the dealer. For the do it yourself types, not so much.
I agree with this statement, building saws or repairs for pro use guys, fallers, firewood guys etc., they much prefer something without the computer stuff and so do I for that very reason and yes I agree that some people shouldn't be tuning in their own saws if they don't know what they are doing, I usually send a fresh rebuild out running a little rich on the high with 40 two one , give them the break in procedure and tell them to drop by after they get a few tanks on it and I will give it another tune and take the time to let them know what I'm looking for well I'm doing it and why, final test back 40 saw logs - after all these guys earn a living with these saws.

I've had nothing but trouble with the M tronic. I've only been running saws every day for 30 years but I'd gladly trade a new m tronic saw for a carb saw of the same. Brand new 661 stopped idling 2 days after the warranty ran out. It's the low idle solenoid. $45 for the solenoid and $100 for labor. No thanks. Bought the solenoid and replaced it myself. Crappy testing and crappy customer service. A brand new saw shouldn't need touched for a while. Especially electrical parts. My 261c won't hardly start once hot. Have to grab my old reliable 026 when I need a saw to actually crank and run. My 201Tc starts ok. Not nearly as much power as the 200t and about half the fuel mileage. It's sad that we're going backwards in saw advancement instead of forward. This is just my experience though. And everyone I work with. And all the other tree services and loggers in my area.
EPA!

I dunno, we've all had computers running new cars since the 1980's and it's been working out ok. When's the last time one of you got stranded on the side of the road due to a cpu failure? Just saying.

Sure, I understand, saws are different. I own three saws without Autotune/M-Tronic/etc and while I appreciate the simplicity at times- they definitely need adjusting depending if it's 25 degrees out or 95 degrees out (and we do get a lot of wild temp swings in New England). The average person doesn't have the ability or knowledge to deal with carb tuning and adjustment anymore. Even arborists and people who make their living with saws often aren't familiar with them and technical schools that teach auto techs don't even dive into carb theory or repair anymore. Carbs are ancient technology and we've been trying to get away from them since the 1950's. Anyone remember fuel injected corvettes from the 60's?

New technology is always buggy at the outset, but eventually it becomes ironed out and widespread. Having seen a newer saw plugged into a computer I think there's more to gain than lose. Seeing run time, the % of time spent at various rpms, fuel calibration etc is all helpful. More importantly, the saw adjusting for temp and required air fuel mix is going to lead to a longer lasting saw. If you get a small seal leak somewhere the computer may just bail you out as well.

I think a sophisticated fuel injection system is eventually the way all the saws will go (that still run on gas). The potential for fuel savings, more ideal mixture, longer life, more power, etc are important. Even Honda has started fuel injecting it's small generators and adding bluetooth. Run times are incredible and 5 gallons powers a 7000 watt generator all day.

I'll still collect and embrace the classics, but recognize that the page needs to turn. I reckon no one misses the hand crank for their car engines, hand operated windshield wipers or lighting headlights that run on whale oil.

Heres my take on electronics in principle they are wonderful .I probably went through five toasters numerous coffee makers kitchen gadjets washing machines all thrown away due to a defective electronic component.Now my toaster is a 1956 GE my coffee percolator a 1948 GE My waffle maker 1940 something my washing machine a 1980s Kenmore my fridge a 1948 Servel etc etc I can repair 98 percent of the problems.I have lots of older lawn and garden eqiupment newest a JD lx172 had to rip the computer board out of it and rewire the tractor with out it WTF does a lawn tractor need a computer for.I have a cottage and 44 square miles of trapline and my buildings are the only ones on it 45 miles is along way to walk home when the snow mobile wont start because the electronic ignition is gone the same with outboard motors and chain saws. Chain saw doesnt start you can not clear the trees off the trail or you freeze to death at the cabin due to the electronic coil for the saw being NLA.I love magnetos with points .I have at least six saws with NLA electronic components.
Why if they care so much about the enviorment do they allow them to build the electronic components so you can not see the pieces and repair them your self.I do not even want to comment on how they screwed up the automobile my 66 Rambler was full size and got 32 miles to the gallon on the highway and lasted for 421000 miles.
The landfills are bursting at the seams with all the discarded household utensils thrown away due to electronic failure
Kash

Heres my take on electronics in principle they are wonderful .I probably went through five toasters numerous coffee makers kitchen gadjets washing machines all thrown away due to a defective electronic component.Now my toaster is a 1956 GE my coffee percolator a 1948 GE My waffle maker 1940 something my washing machine a 1980s Kenmore my fridge a 1948 Servel etc etc I can repair 98 percent of the problems.I have lots of older lawn and garden eqiupment newest a JD lx172 had to rip the computer board out of it and rewire the tractor with out it WTF does a lawn tractor need a computer for.I have a cottage and 44 square miles of trapline and my buildings are the only ones on it 45 miles is along way to walk home when the snow mobile wont start because the electronic ignition is gone the same with outboard motors and chain saws. Chain saw doesnt start you can not clear the trees off the trail or you freeze to death at the cabin due to the electronic coil for the saw being NLA.I love magnetos with points .I have at least six saws with NLA electronic components.
Why if they care so much about the enviorment do they allow them to build the electronic components so you can not see the pieces and repair them your self.I do not even want to comment on how they screwed up the automobile my 66 Rambler was full size and got 32 miles to the gallon on the highway and lasted for 421000 miles.
The landfills are bursting at the seams with all the discarded household utensils thrown away due to electronic failure
Kash
Landfills are bursting with electronics because at one time, not too long ago, we had an out for them.
Now we don't. I doubt Mtronic saws are adding that much to the problem.

Latest posts

Back