M-tronic Rumour?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The mechanic at my local husqvarna dealer said that husqvarna helped develope M-tronic, or at least the technology from Autotune made its way into M-tronic, so Husqvarna gets a cut from every Stihl sold with M-tronic. Is this true? This dealer in particular seems to have prudy close ties with the folks and reps of Husqvarna over in Sweden, but the mechanic does come across as the kind of guy who makes big claims which might be exaggerated. Overall they are very trustworthy businessmen, it's just the mechanic who may be a little proud, which makes me wonder about all his claims. What do you figure?

As far as I know this is basically true, but the details of the deal seems to be a well kept secret. I understand it was the EU that forced Husky to let Stihl use the technology, allegedly to avoid a "monopoly" situation on the market (bad excuse imo, but bear in mind that Germany more or less "owns" the EU, at least the decision processes that concern industrial end production. For a large part it is about "centralizing" as much of it as possible in Germany).

One rumor (not on here as I recall it, but on European saw forums) even said that the Stihl saws were sent to the Husky factory to have "things" installed, but I never believed that version of the story (or anything close to it) - I believe it mainly is about the right to use the technology.

Btw, this was a topic on here quite a few years ago, to the annoyance of some Stihlheads....:lol:

As far as I know this is basically true, but the details of the deal seems to be a well kept secret. I understand it was the EU that forced Husky to let Stihl use the technology, allegedly to avoid a "monopoly" situation on the market (bad excuse imo, but bear in mind that Germany more or less "owns" the EU, at least the decision processes that concern industrial end production. For a large part it is about "centralizing" as much of it as possible in Germany).

One rumor (not on here as I recall it, but on European saw forums) even said that the Stihl saws were sent to the Husky factory to have "things" installed, but I never believed that version of the story (or anything close to it) - I believe it mainly is about the right to use the technology.

Btw, this was a topic on here quite a few years ago, to the annoyance of some Stihlheads....[emoji38]
Thank you. An opinion I can trust.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

I'm just glad all my saws have regular carbs, without limiter caps, and are easy to fix/work on. I've got more saws than I'll ever wear out and simple parts/tools that will fix them all.

I also like my old cars/tractors/trucks that are not befouled with mazes of crap that is just more to fix when it goes bad.

If companies wanted to they could make a user friendly product that would not require a computer to diagnose/repair.

If companies wanted to they could make a user friendly product that would not require a computer to diagnose/repair.

Surely - but they like to generate work and extra income for their dealers + that people give up repairing the products, and buy new ones instead. A sad trend that affects most products today, and it doesn't help that many dealers don't follow up, and update themselves on the new products - or have the equipment to fix even simple issues with the electronics. Some do, but far from all.

It still is much worse with some other product groups than chainsaws though, at least here.

I own both Stihl and Husky, use them both regularly. The Stihl saws do the heavy work, such as falling, bucking milling, the Huskys do the clean-up , firewood, knot bumping , yard clean-up etc. If I could only own one saw, it would be a modified 350 husky with a 346 cylinder and piston, best lightweight wood saber I own!:cool:
Sounds like the Husky 353 that I own -- a classic that never should have been discontinued.

Thank you. An opinion I can trust.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Trusting this opinion about Husqvarna is the same as Andreas Stihl's opinion of his brand. If this were true of the m-tronic it would be available knowledge to the public just as any patent is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Back