Major Announcement: MAC IS BACK!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Niko,

I read you load and clear. If you get ready to suit up again and enter the fray, let us know.

Peace,

joat

PS: Help wanted: Need reliable anti-homeowner Stihl ranter. Must have instant recall of all published specs. Must be fluent in German as to access the DLG and KWF test reports. Must be willing to defend DLG and KWF test reports at all costs. No pay. No benefits. Long hours. Free avatar. Inquire within.

Actually, I don't trust KWF any more either, and haven't done in a long time - they started cooperating with Dolmar and at least one German magazine in 2005 or so.....

Last edited:
PULL BACK TO RESET (you idiot, you shouldn't be running anything remotely this dangerous, let alone a real McCulloch).

Obviously a Poulan, and not one you will find in Husky colors - but I don't believe even those are much worse than a "homeowner" Stihl. :givebeer:

Like Spike, my Husky dealer refuse to sell the Husky 235 and 240, that are made by Poulan!

Last edited:
Like I said earlier, these Poulan based saws are clearly superior to the rest of the junk in the price range in which they compete, and that's what they should really be compared to. Not the decent Stihls and Huskys.

And again, Husky will be far better for McCulloch than John Deere was for Homelite.

But all of these cheap saws suffer from the fact that they mostly fall into the "occasional use" category for people who don't have a regular need for a saw. A little yard clean up when needed, or maybe some campfire wood once in a while. Maybe it was just purchased to clean up a mess from a storm. So, they all tend to sit for long periods of time, usually with gas in them. And, we all know what that means. You are more likely to have "issues" with these saws and their owners, so it's a market that I've always stayed away from.

As far as the comments about what Husky is doing to the McCulloch name, it's not as if they are de-flowering a virgin here. If anything, they are treating it better than it has been treated for some time. Keep in mind that it was McCulloch themselves that ruined the McCulloch name.

Ouch, thats going to leave a mark on some people but your absolutly correct the way that I see it.

Its also not like McCulloch didn't spend its time rebadged in the discount stores already.

And again, Husky will be far better for McCulloch than John Deere was for Homelite.

I don't see McCulloch ever being a good company again, their name has been screwed beyond repair. Deere must not have been that bad, Stihl joined them. Any company that Stihl wants to join is going to be top notch, Stihl proved that with being #1.

I get asked about alot of saws that people want to buy for just a few trees a year or some yard clean up. I assure them most of the blowes and HD saws are crap, then tell them to go check out their local Stihl dealer.:D I've been into the pullons and mclunks, even the 170 is a better made saw and you have support plus can get parts.:clap:

Don't ever put pullon and Stihl in the same sentence.:jawdrop:

You got that all wrong, several Stihl "homeowner" models arn't any better than some of the Poulans, even some that Husky would never sell under their own brand name (or as Jonsered). :givebeer:

Another story, if you go back in time, Poulan offered some true pro models, but the most recent ones were made in Sweden, not in the USA. :)

Poulan Pro (PP) originally was based (by E-Lux, long before Husky took over)) on the remnants of Pioneer/Partner (that still made totally different saws when the brands were "united" in NA), and "inherited" models from both brands - the best ones were the same saws as the Jonsered 2077 and 2083 - but originally it was a Partner design (7700). The Partner 7700 also was the saw used to develop the "Air Injection" system btw, and most (if not all) Poulan saws of that "family" had the fully developed system, called "Super-Clean" or so on Poulans, indicating that they were late comers in the "family".

Actually, I have no evidence of a PP in that "family" that was made before 1993 - if anyone can contradict that, please do so! The 83cc PP 505 was a "sleeper" that lurked around on the market, until well after 2000, while the similar Jred version was shut down a lot earlier, and replaced by the 77cc 2083II. :censored:

Last edited:
I don't see McCulloch ever being a good company again, their name has been screwed beyond repair. Deere must not have been that bad, Stihl joined them. Any company that Stihl wants to join is going to be top notch, Stihl proved that with being #1.

I get asked about alot of saws that people want to buy for just a few trees a year or some yard clean up. I assure them most of the blowes and HD saws are crap, then tell them to go check out their local Stihl dealer.:D I've been into the pullons and mclunks, even the 170 is a better made saw and you have support plus can get parts.:clap:

They're no longer a company, just a brand. But you are right in the sense that there won't be any Mac products beyond the lower price points where they are now. There won't be a black and yellow 372.

Deere was that bad and worse. They lost $100 million in less than two years and killed what was left of a once great company. Stihl didn't "join" them, they came to the rescue. Deere tried handheld and it was a failure. A COLOSSAL failure. I hope Stihl knows a good divorce lawyer, just in case. :cheers:

You got that all wrong, several Stihl "homeowner" models arn't any better than some of the Poulans, even some that Husky would never sell under their own brand name (or as Jonsered). :givebeer:

Another story, if you go back in time, Poulan offered some true pro models, but the most recent ones were made in Sweden, not in the USA. :)

Troll, Stihl's homeowner models hold up just as well as husky's pro models. They are built tough, believe that! Yup, Poulan did have a good name, I've ran some nice ones at the GTGs. Now after being whored out by elux, all we have are pullons.

Well Poulan has servicing dealers a pleanty just look it up on there service locator. As far as parts, thats no problem at all, with just a few mouse clicks I can have them at my door in a day or two and never have to leave the house to get them. Seems the Sthil dealers here charge shipping anyway so the shipping issue is a wash.

Another thing is those parts are only a fraction of the price also. :cheers:

Deere was that bad and worse. They lost $100 million in less than two years and killed what was left of a once great company. Stihl didn't "join" them, they came to the rescue. Deere tried handheld and it was a failure. A COLOSSAL failure. I hope Stihl knows a good divorce lawyer, just in case. :cheers:

I don't know all that history about Deere. I can't find a reason why they would even need to be in the hand held OPE game since their tractors are a industry standard. Efco made their saws and if they were any good, Stihl would not have been thought of as a partner. The partnership might have been a mistake but now you can get the best tractor and saw in the same building.:clap: Stihl doesn't make bad bussiness practices, if Deere was one, they will be dropped.:cheers:

Well Poulan has servicing dealers a pleanty just look it up on there service locator. As far as parts, thats no problem at all, with just a few mouse clicks I can have them at my door in a day or two and never have to leave the house to get them. Seems the Sthil dealers here charge shipping anyway so the shipping issue is a wash.

Another thing is those parts are only a fraction of the price also. :cheers:

My local Blowes or wally world isn't a dealer. Never seen a pullon dealer, why would they need dealerships?:confused:

No Stihl mail order, parts or saws. Looks like others are starting to follow, must not be a bad idea eh?:cheers:

My local Blowes or wally world isn't a dealer. Never seen a pullon dealer, why would they need dealerships?:confused:

No Stihl mail order, parts or saws. Looks like others are starting to follow, must not be a bad idea eh?:cheers:

I didnt say dealers per say, I said servicing dealers or service centers if you like that term better. You didnt look at the service locator did you?

Sorry I don't know of many others not allowing mail order parts, want to enlighten me on that list?

I didnt say dealers per say, I said servicing dealers or service centers if you like that term better. You didnt look at the service locator did you?

Can't say I wasted the time, thought is was a joke...

Sorry I don't know of many others not allowing mail order parts, want to enlighten me on that list?

Dolmar is dealer only saws and huksy can't decide but I think they were dealer only last time I heard. If they could get their parts in the same fashion it would help their dealers out by bringing in more customers. Nobody needs to visit the dealer if the company is slinging out parts all over the net. Not good imo..

Can't say I wasted the time, thought is was a joke...

Dolmar is dealer only saws and huksy can't decide but I think they were dealer only last time I heard. If they could get their parts in the same fashion it would help their dealers out by bringing in more customers. Nobody needs to visit the dealer if the company is slinging out parts all over the net. Not good imo..

Quit side stepping the question, what other brands wont allow mail order parts? I didnt care about your opinion, facts please.....

Quit side stepping the question, what other brands wont allow mail order parts? I didnt care about your opinion, facts please.....

You said pullon has servicing dealers, that was a joke.;)

I should have stated mail order saws, afaik you can get husky and Dolmar parts off the net. If net ordered saws and parts are such a good idea how come Stihl doesn't do it?

2K, read the part of my story that you didn't quote, not just the initial quarrel part! - that is the more interesting part! :)

Last edited:
You said pullon has servicing dealers, that was a joke.;)

I should have stated mail order saws, afaik you can get husky and Dolmar parts off the net. If net ordered saws and parts are such a good idea how come Stihl doesn't do it?

Yes I did say that and then I also said service centers.

Yeah I didnt ask about mail order saws, just parts. Thanks for coming clean on that and proving my point.

Back