Making my first post a thanks!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More Pics

First off thanks Brian for the video post to further explain tuning...very helpful and now I just need to find a nice log like wildman to run a couple passes in!

That is a very easy rule of thumb to follow heimannm....
Ideally you would use a tank of oil to a tank of fuel.
Ill of course have to run a couple tanks to know if Im over oiling or not.

I included a couple more pics and also a shot of the carb for you heimannm as honestly Im not eactly sure what you are looking for but I would enjoy learning more? I cant take too much credit for the carb as it has run fairly well since I received it....just a couple tweaks here and there.

How the hell do you put these pics actually IN the post?
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_-vP2A2I5tpU/TUjO6lBxUNI/AAAAAAAAAvQ/zNk1VrdsQ-M/s1600/P1100234.JPG
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_-vP2A2I5tpU/TUjO6IGZP_I/AAAAAAAAAvI/7cg-q25kzEg/s1600/P1100232.JPG
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_-vP2A2I5tpU/TUjO7F5-6yI/AAAAAAAAAvY/FxGCQcdRftY/s1600/P1100238.JPG

[/IMG]View attachment 170638View attachment 170639View attachment 170640

Thanks again for your response....very helpful indeed.

Last edited:
O.K. I see now, Super 2-10 Automatic. Standard was an SDC carburetor which is much more conventional. That saw definitely has an automatic pulse operated oil pump for the chain.

One day you'll pick up a 1-10 or 2-10 with the McCulloch flat back/bull frog carburetor and then you'll be in for some head scratching.

Nice job on that one, my 2-10 is one of my favorite saws to use in the smaller stuff. May not be quite as comfortable to use as the Jonsered 2050 but the sound the McCulloch makes is just inspiring.

Mark

Mac

From a guy with 70+ saws.... Ill take that as a high compliment to my saw and try my best to treat it accordingly. :good:
I have to agree it does sound awesome once you kick the de-comp off.

One question as I was looking over it today for that carb pic... How would you recommend cleaning the air filter?

Last edited:
From a guy with 70+ saws.... Ill take that as a high compliment to my saw and try my best to treat it accordingly. :good:
I have to agree it does sound awesome once you kick the de-comp off.

One question as I was looking over it today for that carb pic... How would you recommend cleaning the air filter?

Let it soak in very mildly soapy warm water, or very gently blow it off with your breath, or a use very soft art painting brush to brush the filter off.

DO NOT use an air compressor... will destroy the flocking immediately. Same goes for stiff brushes and strongly soaped water.

If the flocking gets damaged as to where you can see pinholes... you need to either buy a new filter, or repair the one you have.

To repair: You can see if your girlfriend or mom or other female that you know has a pair of nylons that are torn down one leg or a pair they don't want/need anymore...

Then what you do is put the filter down to the foot of the good leg, and stretch it over the filter a little, then tie it off. Use some adhesive that is both resistant to heat and does not damage nylon or plastic, and use that to glue the nylon around the perimeter of the filter cage. Once the glue cures, carefully cut the excess nylon off. and voila, a new filter! :cheers:

However, I did not do this myself... yet. The ideas are from another thread on flocking air filters.

Yes, this was partially plagurized from the Flocking thread. Thanks to all that contributed the that Flocking thread. :cheers: I hope you don't mind me borrowing your ideas...

If any others have good ideas or advice for cleaning/reflocking air filters, please post said ideas or advice. I'm not an expert, just retyping what I read in the threads here.

Last edited:
Welcome to the site.... nice looking Mac. Those are fun saws and can last a lifetime. Probably no chance of over revving that saw, though you can still damage it by leaning it too much. Just out of curiosity, what ratio of mix are you using? If you're using 40 or 50 to 1, I'd say you're plenty rich based on the amount of smoke.

To tune it in the cut, it will be easier if you found some bigger wood, at least until you get used to the whole thing.

Cool, old saw rep coming your way!!

Latest posts

Back