makita question for aussie members

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyj

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
hi guys ive got a makita 7901 with the std 20"bar and am really happy with it but looking at getting a longer bar & chain set up for it, saw is mostly used for camping/track clearing(i like overkill)just want/need a bigger bar for some of the bigger trees i come across. the question is how would the saw go pulling a 28" in redgum and other victorian species? or am i better off to stick with 24", also where would be the best place to get the bar and chain as well as a hd filter around melbournes western subs. the local guy i tried didnt even want to give me the time of day,

thanks billy

Last edited:
Hi mate. I own two Dolmar 7900's (same saw, different colour) but have also recently sold a 7901. They are an excellent saw and will even pull a 32" bar buried in Redgum convincingly with non skip semi chisel when stock (mine have now all been modified). I've done it numerous times, even in some of the harder species of wood we have.
I can tell you now do not bother buying a HD filter setup for your saw in Australia. Either contact one of the site sponsors like The Cutting Edge etc or if you're not a fan of buying online I'll source one for you. I can also supply bars to suit if keen. I like the 24" bars and they get the most use with me but in bigger wood you may need a longer bar occasionally. Send me a PM mate and we can run through a few things if you want.
You'll pay nearly triple for a HD filter setup by buying in Australia over the US, seriously. Thats how much we get ripped off here since Makita got their grubby mitts on the marketing and any corner tool shop with a Makita drill can sell you a chainsaw yet not even know they could get them...
Matt

Last edited:
Hi Billy firstly welcome, secondly a 7901 isn't overkill for camping/track clearing but more like ideal.

Matt (MCW) on this forum is the man to see for a bar and chain and not a bad fella
(when he's asleep!).

Where bout's you located mate!

Hi Billy firstly welcome, secondly a 7901 isn't overkill for camping/track clearing but more like ideal.

Matt (MCW) on this forum is the man to see for a bar and chain and not a bad fella
(when he's asleep!).

Where bout's you located mate!

Hah hah. You posted when I did Al :cheers:

No such thing as overkill in chainsaws :)

cheers guys, will get in touch in the next week or so mcw, and funny you mention getting makita saws at tool shops....i got mine as a speical order though my local total tools after reading a few reports here, funny thing was i got it about $300 cheaper than the makita/stilh chainsaw dealer next door was willing to do

located in werribee vic

Last edited:
cheers guys, will get in touch in the next week or so mcw, and funny you mention getting makita saws at tool shops....i got mine as a speical order though my local total tools after reading a few reports here, funny thing was i got it about $300 cheaper than the makita/stilh chainsaw dealer next door was willing to do

located in werribee vic

Mate they're a good saw, we all love them here :)

Thought this was the ideal opportunity to show you a few vids...

First one is of my original stock 7900 vs. my first modded 7900 in relatively hard Casuarina with 32" bars...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qVvImeR2k_0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And the same modded 7900 with a 42" bar and non skip chain in a Redgum log. The oiler couldn't keep up with a bar this long but fun nonetheless :)

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XswACPavEuk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Congrats on the great saw billy, Im sure you will enjoy it. Like Al said, its an ideal size for your intended purpose. The 7901 is one of the lightest saws for its power output which makes it a great all-round saw. I often use mine for limbing/clearing and if i want to cut something - say around 30" it does that well too. I also think 24" would be a good size and handles most jobs without being to heavy. Matt can give you a good deal on one of those also ;)

already enjoying using it alot after using a couple of hardware store speical 45cc saws. just seems to eat straight through anything i point it at wheather thats a 40+ inch pine tree at talbotville or a big fallen dead redgum up the murray. i reckon ive probly run about 6 tanks through it in the 6 months ive had it running a stihl semi chisel chain on the standard bar.

well i bit the bullet tonight and ordered a few bits from baileys

getting a hd filter kit, 24" powermatch bar and chain and lastly a 30"carlton combo. cant wait for the goodies to arrive and to finally use the saw again........havent even touched it it nearly 2 months now guess i better find an excuse soon

Latest posts

Back