Man I just got po'd at a wood seller

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NDtreehugger

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
at the store this guy is selling wood by the rick/rack; I call them RICK-OFFS or RACK-OFFS.

I heard the customer ask what is a Rick the seller said it’s almost a half cord!!!!!!

So I asked how long is the 4x8 pile of wood? The seller said do you mind?
I said no not at all, how long is the 4x8 pile of wood?

There was no answer.

So I said

Looks to be about 12-14”s of (elm)

Soo I told the customer

The sale of wood is governed by LAW and rick-offs have been band for years but if the seller gives a fair deal there’s nothing wrong with rick-offs.

Here’s the run down, I was forced to share.

All wood is measured in 4X8 piles that’s 4 foot high and 8 foot long if you don’t get 4x8 piles then your not getting a face, rick, ½ or full cord,

A full cord is 4'X4'X8'
A half cord is 4'X2'X8'
a face cord is 4'x16"x8'

he started looking confused

So I said look

4x4x8 full cord
4x2x8 half cord

Anything else is only $20.00 worth of wood

the guy grab a stick tossed it on the ground stuck his foot next to it and said its 14” Ill give you 20.00 for the pile

as I was walking away I said,,,,, yup that’s what a rick-off is worth.

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

"All wood is measured in 4X8 piles that’s 4 foot high and 8 foot long if you don’t get 4x8 piles then your not getting a face, rick, ½ or full cord, "

Actually all wood and some other commodities are measured by the cord which is 128 cu ft.

It doesn't matter how you stack it as long as it comes out to 128 cu ft.

Some states recognize the terms "face cord" and "rick". According the your State's Bureau of Weights and Measures. I suggest you look up your state's requirements.

I would only sell wood in full cords and fractions of cords. No thirds, either 1/4 cord or 1/2 cord. But I dont sell any, my stove eats it fast enough.

I would only sell wood in full cords and fractions of cords. No thirds, either 1/4 cord or 1/2 cord. But I dont sell any, my stove eats it fast enough.

A third (1/3) is a fraction AOD:cheers:

NEATO!!!!
Here is the problem scooter (and I normaly like you so..) How do you figure a 1/4 cord?
I have a few customers the specify 24" wood, I am happy to cut it if I know thats what they want. It sells for the same price.Oak, there is no give, it's a "rick" or a "face cord", same to me.
Mixed wood, it's 4 1/2x8x whatever. Nobody gets screwed on that buy.
But most people cannot burn 24" wood, period!! I'd love to cut it all day long, makes my life easy!!! But I can't! So how do I sell it?

1 cord = 128 cu.ft
1/4 cord =128 cu. ft / 4 =32 cu. ft.

for 2' long splits:
2 ft deep * X ft long * X ft high = 32 cu.ft.
X squared ft=32cu.ft/ 2ft
X squared ft=16 ft
X= 4 ft.

for 2' long splits, a pile 4' long and 4' high = 32 cu. ft. = 1/4 cord.

if you want 2' long splits in an 8' long pile, then go only 2' high = 32 cu. ft =1/4 cord.

I cut in 2 sizes, 12 & 16", then there is the odd ball end cuts,
end cuts go into a pile and find there way to the campfire or backyard fire pit or barbecue.

16" go out in 1/3 2/3 of full cords simple if I sell a cord for 200.00

67.00 for 1/3 cord
134.00 for 2/3 cord
200.00 for full cord

same for the 12" just divide by 4

there can be no question as to the amount delivered.

4x4x8 pack as tight as you can get it and on the way out when there looking one more arm full after they pay as a call card.........:biggrinbounce2:

1 cord = 128 cu.ft
1/4 cord =128 cu. ft / 4 =32 cu. ft.

for 2' long splits:
2 ft deep * X ft long * X ft high = 32 cu.ft.
X squared ft=32cu.ft/ 2ft
X squared ft=16 ft
X= 4 ft.

for 2' long splits, a pile 4' long and 4' high = 32 cu. ft. = 1/4 cord.

if you want 2' long splits in an 8' long pile, then go only 2' high = 32 cu. ft =1/4 cord.

well here is the crux of one issue, when someone says they are selling a 1/2 cord - ok so what size is the log length? nobody wants a 24" log, and who has time making 12" logs either which also nobody really wants...
The most common is the 16" -20" range

Cut the good wood at 18" and sell it as a face.
Cut the crap where it falls out then stack it high.
I've yet to have an unhappy customer, nor lost one for what I sold them.
Anyone that has questioned it, had been suprised to find they got more than I promised.
It's wood guys, not rocket science!!! Tell the people what you are selling!!
People ask me for a cord and I laugh at them!! Once I explain how much wood that is they don't anymore!!
When I give them a prce on a "rick" or face and explain that size, sometimes that is too much, so we try and work them to get a deal with a neighbor.
I'm in this for money. If I run around and screw people, I won't be doing it anymore will I?

Always give the customer more than they ask for especially if you are just starting out. Great service will always bring them back. It's just good business sense and a win win situation. Small business has to be honest cause big business isn't!!:cheers:

Not me... I would measure the size of each log in the pile, formulate its volume, and then have the customer spray paint his initials on the log, verifying that he knows the cubic volume of said log. Do that as you unload the truck until the volume adds up to whatever the customer decides is enough . Yes, that is being anal...but in these days and times, who can afford to not be.:hmm3grin2orange: :monkey: :cheers:

In Georgia we usually just see one of three options:

Option #1 is a pickup truck loaded next to a drive with a price on the side. An 8' bed stacked reasonably neatly to the top of the bed fetches around $125. You don't get to keep the truck.

Option #2 is a stack of lumber with a cardboard sign telling how much it costs. The customer looks at it and determines whether he wants to buy it. You must leave the cardboard sign as well.

Option #3 is a cellophane wrapped bundle of about 5 pieces of wood at the gas station going for about $4.99. This is the one that cracks me up the most. I guess the discerning customer can light the stack and ican toast a marshmallow or two before it burns out if he's really quick. You do get to keep the cellophane, however. Marshmallows cost an extra $2.49 or there-abouts.

I've seen the technical loads that boast a cord. I understand the math. most people who do not burn for true heat can't burn that in a year. Usually around here, i have seen the stack that is between two green posts about 8 ft long, and they claim a face cord which is 4 ft tall by however deep they cut, usually about 18 inches. (this 16 or less stuff irritates me) My stove burns great at 18 inches, 12 and it seems to woof up the chimney with less heat. I don't understand, but the "LOG"istics seem to work out.

4x4x8

at the store this guy is selling wood by the rick/rack; I call them RICK-OFFS or RACK-OFFS.

I heard the customer ask what is a Rick the seller said it’s almost a half cord!!!!!!

So I asked how long is the 4x8 pile of wood? The seller said do you mind?
I said no not at all, how long is the 4x8 pile of wood?

There was no answer.

So I said

Looks to be about 12-14”s of (elm)

Soo I told the customer

The sale of wood is governed by LAW and rick-offs have been band for years but if the seller gives a fair deal there’s nothing wrong with rick-offs.

Here’s the run down, I was forced to share.

All wood is measured in 4X8 piles that’s 4 foot high and 8 foot long if you don’t get 4x8 piles then your not getting a face, rick, ½ or full cord,

A full cord is 4'X4'X8'
A half cord is 4'X2'X8'
a face cord is 4'x16"x8'

he started looking confused

So I said look

4x4x8 full cord
4x2x8 half cord

Anything else is only $20.00 worth of wood

the guy grab a stick tossed it on the ground stuck his foot next to it and said its 14” Ill give you 20.00 for the pile

as I was walking away I said,,,,, yup that’s what a rick-off is worth.

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

we call a 4x4x8 a cubic here or a bush cord a face cord is 16 inches wide 4 feet high and 8 feet long . In southern ontario they sell in 12 inch wide x 4 feet high x 8 feet long they make an extra cord out of the same cubic or bush cord or anothe 95 dollars for a single

All the west coast states require firewood sales by the 4x4x8 cord by law, or by the cu. ft. if they are small bundles at the grocery store. In Oregon, the sale of face cords or ricks are not allowed by law (I still see them for sale here sometimes though, usually by the PU load).

I cannot find any statutes in North Dakota online for firewood sales, so the guy is probably within the law in that state to sell by whatever measure he wants. Otherwise you could turn him in to the law.

A "rick" is whatever anyone wants it to be.

Years ago, I got a good chuckle. I called a newspaper add for a truckload of wood. I asked how big the load was. The gal told me "oh, it's a big truck, it has a lot of gears in it". Geesh! Maybe it was a 5 speed Datsun?

Ken

Well....

I just took delivery of a "cord".... which to this fella was 4' high x 16' long x 20" wide. Seasoned and split. I said sure, that's not a cord, but let's do it.

So he comes by, drops off a pile (I wasn't home). I take a look at it... shoot.. that's a little pile. Stack it and it's about 4' x8' x 16".

He was good about it, said he'd drop off another load to make it right. I guess if this wasn't his business I wouldn't mind so much. Live and learn and let's hope he shows Saturday.

I get really annoyed at people for not delivering what they claim they are selling. If I am buying 4 cords of wood...I want 4 cords of wood! These guys don't understand though. They think about or approximately is good enough. If I deliver Home Heating Oil to you and say "there's $200 bucks worth" and you ask me how many gallons? Do I get to say, About 68? Hell No!

If I buy wood and stack it and its short, you better be coming back with more! If not, A call to the Dept of Weights and Measures will be made.

Other thing that pisses me off is selling seasoned wood. Me: Is it seasoned. Seller: Yes. Me: How: Well we cut it last year. Me: You cut the trees or you cut and split the wood last year? Seller: No we just split it, but the tress have been down a year. Ummm...Not Seasoned! :chainsaw:

I use to sell my wood by the truck load since it would not carry a full cord.I figured out my truck bed with a hump in the center minus wheel wells is somewhere in the 90-98 cubic ft range . And if the customer asked how much it was I would say right around 3/4 of a cord.They were OK with that.Now my dump trailer level with the top is measured at 140 cubic ft. OR with 16" wood sides I can carry 2 full cords.Makes life easier now.

this summer i delivered a 3 cord of hardwood cut and split to a guy up the road from me, i was delivering with a borrowed f350 dump, and i wound up shorting him by quite a bit, the bed was a bit smaller than i was told,(serves me right for taking his word for it) so after the local chemistry teacher stacked his wood he gave me a call and i came back with more than what i owed him and stacked it all very tightly to make up for my mistake.
needless to say i have a life long customer who is very very happy with my service and price, and plenty of free advertisement. sure does feel good to see a happy customer in a rural area.

Latest posts

Back