Mastermind meets the Dolmar 7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Randy it looks strong, but I think the first saw sounds like it has a a bit more snap. What do you think??

I concur. Though this one surprised me with the amount of snot it slings. :msp_wink:

I did a bit more lower transfer work on this one hoping to negate the loss of the slab sided piston.

dyno testing

Randy, wouldn't it be nice to dyno both saws and compair the grafts of the power ban to each other to see what where they were different. It would be just another piece of the puzzle.You could even do a-b-a test.outstanding work by the way Steve

I would love to build a dyno. I've been looking at using an alternator and stuff............

I'm too busy to pursue it though. :(

I did some comparison cuts with 372s and needed a clear, consistent wood to make my results meaningful.

Have you compared it to the 460 you did for the build off? How'd it fair against the 372s?
What were the results of the 372 and 460 comparison?

Dolmar 7900 with a windowed piston. Same numbers as the other saw. I did file the chain though. :)

I concur. Though this one surprised me with the amount of snot it slings. :msp_wink:
I agree that this one looks stronger.

What were the results of the 372 and 460 comparison?

In a 10" cant the 372s were both the same no matter how the lowers were done. The one with unraised cylinder walls made more rpm. In no way did these results help me learn anything though. I didn't have any large wood nor the time to really do the testing justice. :(

I agree that this one looks stronger.

Which one? The first or second?

In a 10" cant the 372s were both the same no matter how the lowers were done. The one with unraised cylinder walls made more rpm. In no way did these results help me learn anything though. I didn't have any large wood nor the time to really do the testing justice. :(

Which one? The first or second?
What I meant was, how do the 372s and 460 compare to these 7900s?

The 2nd one looks stronger.

What I meant was, how do the 372s and 460 compare to these 7900s?

The 2nd one looks stronger.

Ah. I've not really compared. Someone should check out the videos.....hint hint. :laugh:

The 2nd one huh? I thought the first one was a tad stouter. :dizzy:

Ah. I've not really compared. Someone should check out the videos.....hint hint. :laugh:

I don't have a good stop watch with me, but the windowed one appears to be faster, holding more RPMs in the cut.

I think your 372s and 460 would take the 7900s. But you don't have vids in the same wood.

I should have my own 6401 makita before too long:rock:

Are you planning on going with a 79 or 84 cc kit or just modding the 6401 to see what you get? either way I've been looking at doing either or! And this thread makes me want to tear into it! Just wondering what your plans are!?!?!

nate

Somebody else can check out the videos. Everytime I watch a video I go on the look out for a new saw. VIDEOS are not my friend!:D

I don't have a good stop watch with me, but the windowed one appears to be faster, holding more RPMs in the cut.

I think your 372s and 460 would take the 7900s. But you don't have vids in the same wood.

agree with brad. ive watched and rewatched and i think the 2nd looks faster by a hair.

The first didn't hold near the RPMs in the cut. I would go with windows and not raise the lowers so much. I'd also try more intake duration. I'm just thinking out loud, as I don't have these figured out either.

I would really like to see some magic work on the FS-250!!! :rock:

Not that I would do that to mine, its got plenty of power.

Dang thing is rough on plants and flowers sometimes... :laugh:

And stucco. Glad it was not in a conspicuous place on the side of the house where I started in with my "new" 250. That thing sounds like a dirt-bike. I love it. It is kinda tough to run at a very light throttle, though. I find mine 4-strokes heavily just off idle.

Latest posts

Back