Mastermind Meets The Echo CS500P

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never owned a Echo, but I think they are cool looking saws, just something about them that looks cool! That one looks like it runs good too! Defiantly some weird port timing numbers.

That's an outstanding job Randy! The before and after effects of your work tell the story. I know I will be very happy with my new saw. I am going to buy a shorter bar, probably a 16". I knew a 20" would be less than ideal, it just gives me a excuse to make another Bailey's order. Well done !

Brian

Love the difference in the chip flow. Really moving some wood after the mods. Should be a lot of hits on eBay after watching this video.Another "masterpiece" by Mastermind. :bowdown:

It sure sounded like it needed a tuning awfully bad in the stock vid so no wonder it cut so slowly. Great work on the mod though. Kind of what the echo saw guys have been saying all along.

I agree with this assessment 100%. I did lean it out as far as possible with the limiters in place and it still sounded fat. If you look at the muffler outlet you can see how stopped up it was out of the box.

My thoughts on this saw.......a good muffler mod and a proper tune will go a long way toward making it a fine tool.

I will say this though. The exhaust duration is so low from the factory (because of the plugged muffler and emission standards?) that there should be huge gains by using a popup and raising the transfers and exhaust even further.

Though lowering the jug will increase intake timing...and could be detrimental to overall performance.

I would like to have one of these to use as a test mule...... :laugh:

That is some weird durations, sure does run good though!!:rock: Cylinder looks real good quality too. Did Echo and Shindaiwa merge?

I'm not sure about a merger Durand, I've just heard that this saw is a Shindaiwa design.

I've never owned a Echo, but I think they are cool looking saws, just something about them that looks cool! That one looks like it runs good too! Defiantly some weird port timing numbers.

These numbers still make me think there's a lot to be had in this saw. With the design of the top end I can see this thing keeping up with a 346XP......

Maybe.... :msp_unsure:

That's an outstanding job Randy! The before and after effects of your work tell the story. I know I will be very happy with my new saw. I am going to buy a shorter bar, probably a 16". I knew a 20" would be less than ideal, it just gives me a excuse to make another Bailey's order. Well done !

Brian

I was wondering when you would show up to claim your saw Brain.

Thanks for letting me have the opportunity to learn something about this series of Echo saws. I have a feeling we will be seeing more and more of them. :msp_thumbup:

Well Randy, I think everything turned out great. I kind of knew that this saw had a lot of potential. I was glad that you were able to exploit it and document the results. I was watching this thread the whole time. I just didn't comment on anything. I let the final result speak for itself, and it indeed did speak loudly ! Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Brian

This is not about a real Echo, but a rebranded Shindaiwa, as far as I know. :msp_unsure:

Well Randy, I think everything turned out great. I kind of knew that this saw had a lot of potential. I was glad that you were able to exploit it and document the results. I was watching this thread the whole time. I just didn't comment on anything. I let the final result speak for itself, and it indeed did speak loudly ! Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Brian

I'll box it up and send it out tomorrow Brian. I planned on sending it USPS Parcel Post but this time of year it's pretty damn slow. Send me a PM if you want to arrange a faster method.

This is not about a real Echo, but a rebranded Shindaiwa, as far as I know. :msp_unsure:

It's a Echo that was a Shindaiwa design. :msp_thumbup:

The story behind that saw started with a release of 600 or so in Canada in early 2009 or 2010 as a Shindaiwa 502s, big brother of the 446s. They ran them up there for a year without a warranty claim before deciding to build them as orange Echos. As a testment to how they hold up I'll say that I haven't had any of the 446s or 500s back in the shop for anything more than a rim replacement or recoil damper spring and 90% of the ones I have in the field are firewood guys or bucket truck guys. Good saws and nice work Randy, love the pics to go along with the thread.

sounds like i fell into a even better saw than i expected since i picked one up, it feels more like a natural transfer from my old 500 shindiawa now to:laugh:

Latest posts

Back