maul recomended for big doug fir

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
The woof I cut is Doug fir big with lots of boys at times size probly averages 30-36" wood is dry standing fir killed in a fire 10-12 years ago. I cut 10-15 cords a season. All loads hauled of the Mtn are either split or wuarted.

I have a 8lb maul I use. I was wondering if there's something better. Last year I was eying the fiskars super splutter this year the x27 is out. The more I read the more I think the normal old 8 lb maul may be about the best I van do.

Here's a few pics of the kinda wood I cut.

_MG_8321.jpg

_MG_5457.jpg

GEDC1315.jpg

Thanks for the replies

Beautiful pile of wood. Can't really help with advice because i also use a 8lb. maul. Lots of people rave about the x27 but i can't say anything from experience. Personally, I enjoy the workout of splitting when the weather is cool.

I use a "tru temper" 4lb super wood splitter. It workes better than my 8lb maul on most wood. Plus it is easier to swing for a long period. I will probably try a fiskars next time around. Nice looking firewood. Did you get that already this year?

I really like those beautiful rounds LOTS of heat there i really like my fiskars or also have the chopper1 axe not too much these cant handle!!

Beautiful logs, I would love to beat them up with my "old" Fiskars Super Splitter.....
Please post a video of you upcoming splitting.....
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WoAOYLMU1Wc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I use a maul on the larger stuff and most of the time use a double bitted axe on the smaller. If a large maul won't handle it, its time for wedge and sledge, or noodles.

you need one of them there track hoe splitters..would make it easier to load also..:msp_w00t::yoyo:

Got a couple loads like that last year and the old 8 lb maul worked fine. seemed like the red fir split pretty easy when it was dry like that. Been wanting a fiskars SS but haven't come across one in a store yet.

Speed splits wood better than force, or so I've heard from the wiser heads around here. I've never experimented myself, and don't even know how heavy my maul is, but one of these days, when I have a few extra bucks (and my son wants his own maul) then I'll probably get the fiskers.

Latest posts

Back