maul recomended for big doug fir

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan

Addicted to ArboristSite
The woof I cut is Doug fir big with lots of boys at times size probly averages 30-36" wood is dry standing fir killed in a fire 10-12 years ago. I cut 10-15 cords a season. All loads hauled of the Mtn are either split or wuarted.

I have a 8lb maul I use. I was wondering if there's something better. Last year I was eying the fiskars super splutter this year the x27 is out. The more I read the more I think the normal old 8 lb maul may be about the best I van do.

Here's a few pics of the kinda wood I cut.

_MG_8321.jpg

_MG_5457.jpg

GEDC1315.jpg

Thanks for the replies

ktlm

ArboristSite Lurker
Beautiful pile of wood. Can't really help with advice because i also use a 8lb. maul. Lots of people rave about the x27 but i can't say anything from experience. Personally, I enjoy the workout of splitting when the weather is cool.

Wazzu

Wazzu

ArboristSite Operative
I use a "tru temper" 4lb super wood splitter. It workes better than my 8lb maul on most wood. Plus it is easier to swing for a long period. I will probably try a fiskars next time around. Nice looking firewood. Did you get that already this year?

AKKAMAAN

AKKAMAAN

ArboristSite Guru
Beautiful logs, I would love to beat them up with my "old" Fiskars Super Splitter.....
Please post a video of you upcoming splitting.....
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WoAOYLMU1Wc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

alderman

alderman

Addicted to ArboristSite
I use a maul on the larger stuff and most of the time use a double bitted axe on the smaller. If a large maul won't handle it, its time for wedge and sledge, or noodles.

Big_Al

Big_Al

ArboristSite Guru
Got a couple loads like that last year and the old 8 lb maul worked fine. seemed like the red fir split pretty easy when it was dry like that. Been wanting a fiskars SS but haven't come across one in a store yet.

Latest posts