Mechanical gin pole

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Paul Sanborn

Above average climber
Reaction score
On that other board, I sakd if anyone has tried using a mechanical gin. I did it just before the thing went down hard.

I've used them in tower work before and have a light duty one for ham towers. Thought about it for low impact rigging but this one would not work.

Anyone employed such a gadget for for lowering or speedlines?

Yup, like it, but on a spar being rigged out.

They are used in tower (de)construction to rig each section to/from the one below it.

It would be a pain in the but to use, but you could block/speedline chunks off with little shock loading.

The way I see it is the initial curf for the back cut is made, the gin is secured to the spar, then the wedge is made and back cut finnished, tension the line and break the peice off for rigging.

The second one is interesting! would definatly need sturdy construction!

Did you go out at all yesterday? I wimped out.

My first try at Corel PhotoScribble.

Juts gotta get the slack out of the speedline befor the final cut.

Ken I sorta see it a s chunking out with a rigging line on.

Say your in a place where you can't drop peices and it is for the slack blocking out.

Another senario is the stem is so deteriorated you dont want the slam involved in blocking out.

Have the gin attached with trucker straps and you gaff is where the straps aren't.

TreeCo wrote:

"Some really neat concepts.......but if the jin pole rigging fails it looks like the climber is in a world of hurt. "

The tool would need to be designed as not to hit the climber, in the event of failure. The drawing of the pole I did should have the pole at more of an angle to allow lowering to the side of the spar. The climber would tie above the straps and if something failed it woud just drop away and below the climber. Remember, there is risk of failure in any rigging scenario. This tool could, perhaps, reduce that risk by limiting scock loads.

Yes as with any piece of a rigging system the tree needs to be the weakest component. (I will no longer use link in that phrase ;))

Now we need someone to play withthe concept, I don't see myself needeing it in the near future.

portable gin pole

I can see an immediate use for a portable gin pole in pruning topped mont. pines where the tree has massive 3'-4' diam. limbs 50'-70' up. just strap on the pole w/ pulley and climb line at the top of it and it would allow the climber to have a great tie-in for pruning or takedown.
frans

A big problem with a mechanical gin pole is the required guy lines, at least three, and logistics and time involved in locating anchor points, natural or staked. Then, each line would have to be pretensioned, not an easy task to balance. Finding a job where you could get the price up high enough to cover all the time would be mighty rare and tough.

Very interesting concept Im thinking it would be very time consuming to lower it to the next cut It would probably need to be made out of titanium to be strong and light . I bet the product liability would be outrageous.

Depends on the loads you are going to subject it too.

If you are going to be taking out relativly light peices with very little dynamic loading then it would not need to be anythin but tubular steel.

It being a ????? to install has been stated. the only real use I see is in high cost low impact removals where you can not block peices out any more and no alternative rigging points are available. Say right over a deck you cant pitch stuff over.

I kinda like the lowering device jpg.

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=20375

It could be made to swing slowly down, then lowered to the ground. The top piece becomes the bottom piece on the next chunk. So you would only have to connect the one part of the tool with two straps for each time you took a chunk.

If it did not slam down, but slowly came down it wouldn't need to be too strong maybe made from aluminum, with a couple of truckers straps.

How's the hinge going to work, so it has friction towards the bottom but not much at the top of the swing?

Not to rain on the parade of fun tinker ideas, but......

I don't think either of these ideas has any hope of being practical. The load forces would be tremendous. A fixed mechanical gin pole, similar to high lead logging, HAS to have guying to withstand the incredible side loading. I can, however, visualize the success of a device to allow reaching branch ends of a topped tree. It would be safe for life support, but you wouldn't be able to lower off the same pole, unless it was ultra strong and guyed....and VERY securely strapped to the tree. And in such a real world scenario, (previously topped tree with huge side branching)it might be hard to find a straight area of trunk to lash it to.

Besides, realistically, in real world tree work, the need to lower wood is only occasionally needed. I dont know about you guys, but I usually find a safe alternative. For instance, In conifer removal, I try to get 30 foot logs for export, and 16 minimum. I've dropped huge trees across asphalt, right on top of sidewalks, and directly onto nice lawns, all with little or no damage. Plywood, tires, (up to 75, and sometimes laced together)bridges built out of wood, conifer brush piles are most of the tricks. Of course, cranes are better, if the job is safer and better done that way, and if access allows, but usually costlier......not always tho due to the labor saved.

Presently, though, we finish the huge maple Monday. See the "Technical removal" thread. We're employing just about every high tech trick on that one!! And I just sold a 30" dbh very brushy hemlock touching a house. We'll speedline the brush over the house, and likely the wood too, using our 31300 lb plasma line. The low branches will be mid tied, with speed line above, thus creating a bight. We'll lift them up and/or around with z pulleys, chain saw winch or chipper winch, and zip em right over the house. Piece of cake compared to the maple. For this technique, I want to control the amount of bite, so I install a few temp redirects on my way down to the lower branches. It is a bit tedious too, as some higher branches have to be cut to make room to lift others. A plus, is that the customer wants a habitat tree created, so we can leave it 8 -10 feet above the roof!! I think 5 hours will do it, and the price is $1250, not bad at all. Plus the chips stay, and the job is 6 blocks from the shop. We'll need two ground guys, plus another climber doing a bit of thinning on a large white pine, no gman needed, for another $300.

;)

Last edited:
JPS,

explain what you mean by very little dynamic loading.

The alternative, as I see it, is static loading, FAR worse for these proposed toys.

it would take an incredibly complex, strong hinge to handle the piece being dropped. It would have to be adjustable resistance for different weights of wood. It would need a cam (like some workout machine, Cybex, etc) to gradually increase the resistance as the piece flops over into gravity, and bring it to a stop before slamming into the end of its travel and breaking apart. Possibly a creative engineer could design one, for $50K or so!! Most parts would need to be a titanium alloy to lessen weight, but that would increase the materials cost several fold.

Any CAD guys out there??!!

Back