Mechanical gin pole

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the lift.jpg, the chain is bad, first 'cus it's too low on the tool, and second chain is hard to adjust and tighten, compared to straps. But the rest looks good.

To get the contraption up the tree, it woud be simple to hang a strap with a pulley and have the groundy pull it up and hold in in place while you(the climber) attach the straps.

We still need a quick way to move it down after each cut.

Right now extruded aluminum is our top pick for building material, cheap, light, and strong, any comments?

Capacity goal is 750 Lbs.

Lower unit is about 2 feet long, boom approximately 5 feet tall.

Last edited:
I like the cleat idea, agree with chins being
impractical.

The pivot hinge should go all the way to the botom. Sealed bearings on top and bottom?

A tie on point on the load arm for ground assist in moving it?

I'd suggest using 6061 T-6 Aluminum for the strength and stress abilities.
You could add a friction device a little bit above center point of the lift arm, tie a loop around the tree release straps and lower the whole rig with the friction device.
Mike? what program are you using to draw the pictures?

Kevin the idea was a no shockNo swing Lowering device to be used under certain circumstances.

I like mikes idea when the ground man controls the gin pole. Could be lifted with ground wench.

How about a bench wench, or perhaps a round ground wench, or for good measure a square ground wench.

or we could ask gypologger if he will share Robin the house wench.........

........again

...from wence cometh the wench?????

Think we could wrench the wench......

......into position number 69??.......

REBel

......back to the padded cell.......

Man, my Walkerized 335 finished a cut before it started today.....

...Let's do the time warp again..

dowap diddy wapp......

Looks good Mike!

Weight and length will be a factor in getting it set up.
Telescoping square channel secured with a pin would shorten the length.
Once you have it secured in the tree you can pull the pin and extend it then drop the pin back in.
A lanyard to hold the device agianst the tree while you operate the cinch straps might be a consideration.
I think the port-a-wrap might be better left on the ground with the ground man just in case there`s a problem.

Do you know how to file for a patent application?

I think you have something there.

Don't do what I did regarding a new concept - I got screwed by attorneys and a rogue scientist and a few investors on the oak wilt deal.

Build it.

Reed

I think the limited scope of use would not justify the cost of pattent application. With research and all that can be rather costly.

Hey Chad, where in the Heartland area are you? I've met two of you guys from Wauk. county and one works for Greg Good.

Back