Mechanical gin pole

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This way would be strong and easy to lower. The top piece then becomes the lower piece.

Last edited:
Since the'engineering' of this idea has taken place in a public forum with a lot of people adding ideas it might be a rather messy patent application.

Lesser ideas have been grabbed and hustled to a patent and market in our trade.

Tom

I say if someone wants to patent it, take it. I just want to build it so I can have it when I need it.

It seems to me it would take some set-up time but it would end up being safer and less damaging to ropes and other gear because of less dynamic loading, and that should make it worth the extra effort to set it up.

ddm

That would work if every tree is the same size. How will you fit a 2' square to fit around a 4' tree

Last edited:
Chad, With a couple of extra pieces of angle iron bolted to the square to enlarge it to O
40' if you so desired.And Im not implying to Rig up a tree stand just use the concept.

On the saw pinching problem: climber can simply carry a wedge; the bottle jack idea requires a hinge in the gin pole, which seems like an unnecessary week point.

Mr. Berkelhammer makes a valid point. An experienced arborist can make a cut witout getting his saw wedged, this is not a tool for the unexperienced. In fact removing the line tension might make breaking off the chunk of wood<I> <B>easier</B></I>.

Once the bottle jack was removed, there was no need for an elbow. Once the elbow was removed, there was no need for rotation. This allows for a straight, one piece design, which is simple and lighter than the first drawings.

My last drawing had a rotation point, but only to make the unit modular. It was my opinion that raising the device up the tree would be easier in sections, than all at once.

If you think about the weak points, the base of the boom will have the greatest loads then loads would slowly get lesser as you move up the boom. So ideally, the boom would be shaped like a fishing pole, wide at the base a tappering as you move up the boom.

I'm thinking square tubing boom, telescoping inside a square tube base. A few holes and a pin would make the boom length adjustable. By lowering the boom all the way, just before moving the device down for the next cut, would balence the device so it wouldn't be top heavy.

Comments?

Last edited:
Might need a Ginpole , to put the Gin pole in position.:D

Or, may be, the two Gin poles need to leapfrog down eitherside of the tree, as you block it down.;)

Latest posts

Back