Meteor Cylinder Quality

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you use one of these cylinders on a saw you're paying $250 to have ported?

• Total voters
Brad,
After some serious thinking, I can actually empathize with your position... but maybe your thinking on smaller terms and/or a different angle may have a better approach?

I manufacture cylinders and by the thousands. Sell those cylinders world wide every day and in general my rejection/defect % is small. Even if I sell crap and the majority doesn't complain, I must be doing a pretty good job.... my return rate is even smaller then rejection rate. So overall my production is pretty good, quality control is satisfactory and a small percentage are always unsatisfied... be that what it may.

Several people did initially complain and I've taken that into consideration, made several adjustments and those few selected individuals stopped complaining or at least became a little quieter. That group in America called Arborist Site did have some pretty decent criticism, but seems to have quieted down and they are buying my products with a fever... must have made the correct changes......

And now my opinion... your fight against the poor quality should have never waned, I'm not sure that your input may have been interpreted correctly... Maybe it never got to the right person or you were saying it in a language not understood. We all know that you hear what you believe you heard and not maybe what was said sometimes, every person is a little different and sometimes, things come out wrong. It could be that the market is so small to this specific audience that they can continue to sell crap (according to some members here) and disregard some individuals personal observation..... hence, we have choices of different branded cylinders to choose from..... and the option to not buy a specific brand.

I'm glad you spoke up again.... glad that maybe I spurred you along. Now together as a team, lets see if we can force some change for the better of this small community! I want to sell a good product, you want a good product..... seems reasonable to me.. we all like saws the rip!!

:cheers:

This is one of those crummy top ends......

[video=youtube;JOKDTsact3U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOKDTsact3U[/video]

That saw rips!! You can actually hear it dieseling thru the cut like a much larger saw would do, as in the 100+cc kind. You can hear that sound in some of Lee's threads when running big Homelites and Macs.

So spill it Randy, what did you think?

This thread is now seven pages deep and I've yet to see anyone post pics for any New and Improved Cylinders..!!

Sooo what's up with that..?? - Seeing is the start to believing generally - sooo where's the pics..??
J2F

Brad,
After some serious thinking, I can actually empathize with your position... but maybe your thinking on smaller terms and/or a different angle may have a better approach?

I manufacture cylinders and by the thousands. Sell those cylinders world wide every day and in general my rejection/defect % is small. Even if I sell crap and the majority doesn't complain, I must be doing a pretty good job.... my return rate is even smaller then rejection rate. So overall my production is pretty good, quality control is satisfactory and a small percentage are always unsatisfied... be that what it may.

Several people did initially complain and I've taken that into consideration, made several adjustments and those few selected individuals stopped complaining or at least became a little quieter. That group in America called Arborist Site did have some pretty decent criticism, but seems to have quieted down and they are buying my products with a fever... must have made the correct changes......

And now my opinion... your fight against the poor quality should have never waned, I'm not sure that your input may have been interpreted correctly... Maybe it never got to the right person or you were saying it in a language not understood. We all know that you hear what you believe you heard and not maybe what was said sometimes, every person is a little different and sometimes, things come out wrong. It could be that the market is so small to this specific audience that they can continue to sell crap (according to some members here) and disregard some individuals personal observation..... hence, we have choices of different branded cylinders to choose from..... and the option to not buy a specific brand.

I'm glad you spoke up again.... glad that maybe I spurred you along. Now together as a team, lets see if we can force some change for the better of this small community! I want to sell a good product, you want a good product..... seems reasonable to me.. we all like saws the rip!!

If you can back up that much, I'll oil my reverse gear as well, lol:cheers: You're exactly right when you suggested that I should have made an attempt to learn more about the current status. Being the extravert tha I am, I spoke in haste.

All AM cylinder problems kind of go in a single bin in my mind. When I hear of another problem, it's another straw on that camels back. Meteor problems get extra weight because I expect much more out of them, as earned by their fantastic pistons. There are other kits that have really frustrated me more recently.

I know that it might sound like a crock of you know what, but it really is my desire for better quality for all of us that I'm after. The potential in these kits is HUGE! Go ahead, put me out of business, lol. I'm turning all work down right now anyway, lol.

That saw rips!! You can actually hear it dieseling thru the cut like a much larger saw would do, as in the 100+cc kind. You can hear that sound in some of Lee's threads when running big Homelites and Macs.

So spill it Randy, what did you think?

The plating is very tough so cutting the squish band is no easy task as the plating continues completely across the top of the cylinder. The port timing stock is comparable to the OEM jugs I've been inside of. The transfer tunnels are as large if not larger than an OEM jug. I see no issues with the 372 top end.......I need an MS460 to play with now. :D

I'm far from upset......just speaking frankly. :msp_wink:

So that makes three people speaking about Frank' in this thread... Brad and two Randy's... Will the real FRANK please stand up!

This thread is now seven pages deep and I've yet to see anyone post pics for any New and Improved Cylinders..!!

Sooo what's up with that..?? - Seeing is the start to believing generally - sooo where's the pics..??
J2F

Fat...
We've agreed to do a comparison of OEM to Meteor and Brad is going to do it. If I had a cylinder here in my hands, I'd gladly post some... remember I'm a supplier, not a distributor or a manufacturer... I prefer not to touch your product, it adds cost to the consumer... that's you... well not really, Unless you have one of my kits?

Pictures here>>>>>>> http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/212122.htm <<<<< Pictures here.

Brad's gripe is that in general, he's seen sub-par kits sold to the public, that kit Randy had didn't look sub-standard to me... did it to you? Happens to also be Brad likes the 460 and why he referenced all his comment towards that particular model..... he didn't read the thread either, well maybe he has now. He's invited and welcome to, you as well, compare the stock OEM 372 to the Meteor kit Randy showed. We could even make a shout out to the members here...

ANYBODY have one of these kits to show?? Speak up... I know your buying them, I won't give up the names.

... that is unless you have a kit or would like to order one?? Maybe yours will arrive first! Link supplied in my signature for your ordering pleasure.

Oh... there will be another thread coming by an all together different builder, not counting Brad or Randy... using one of my kits of a different flavor.
I can't wait... this is exciting isn't it!!!

LETS SEE PICTURES! :cool2:

Last edited:
So that makes three people speaking about Frank' in this thread... Brad and two Randy's... Will the real FRANK please stand up!

Fat...
We've agreed to do a comparison of OEM to Meteor and Brad is going to do it. If I had a cylinder here in my hands, I'd gladly post some... remember I'm a supplier, not a distributor or a manufacturer... I prefer not to touch your product, it adds cost to the consumer... that's you... well not really, Unless you have one of my kits?

Pictures here>>>>>>> http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/212122.htm <<<<< Pictures here.

Brad's gripe is that in general, he's seen sub-par kits sold to the public, that kit Randy had didn't look sub-standard to me... did it to you? Happens to also be Brad likes the 460 and why he referenced all his comment towards that particular model..... he didn't read the thread either, well maybe he has now. He's invited and welcome to, you as well, compare the stock OEM 372 to the Meteor kit Randy showed. We could even make a shout out to the members here...

ANYBODY have one of these kits to show?? Speak up... I know your buying them, I won't give up the names.

... that is unless you have a kit or would like to order one?? Maybe yours will arrive first! Link supplied in my signature for your ordering pleasure.

Oh... there will be another thread coming by an all together different builder, not counting Brad or Randy... using one of my kits of a different flavor.
I can't wait... this is exciting isn't it!!!

LETS SEE PICTURES! :cool2:

I could do a thread on one, but it'll be a while. When I get around to it I may get a 395 and a 372 one, need both. But got other stuff to do first. Would be real nice if they started making parts for 390's, I would definitely buy a few of those.

I could do a thread on one, but it'll be a while. When I get around to it I may get a 395 and a 372 one, need both. But got other stuff to do first. Would be real nice if they started making parts for 390's, I would definitely buy a few of those.

Not sure what drives them to a particular model. It would be nice if they did every one of them... maybe there scared of becoming the OEM? That would limit there distribution and reduce production... I wouldn't do that!

Not sure what drives them to a particular model. It would be nice if they did every one of them... maybe there scared of becoming the OEM? That would limit there distribution and reduce production... I wouldn't do that!

Don't know either. Just seems silly that they makes pistons for 385's but not 390, exact same saw, just slightly bigger bore.

Don't know either. Just seems silly that they makes pistons for 385's but not 390, exact same saw, just slightly bigger bore.

Not silly, actually makes perfect sense - who would want a 385 cylinder when he can just as well put a 390 one on there? :msp_wink:

J2F

Here you go. Dolmar/Makita BB...
Other kits that have similar finish to these are the MS660 BB and 372XP BB.
Nice kits and in this case also have good squish. These Dolmar BB kits were coming in between .020 - .022" and pulling around 170-180psi compression. A number of guys on this site are running these kits. They even had good quality rings for a change.
This wasn't a hand picked one either and these photos are a few years old now.

DSCF1357-1.jpg

DSCF1360-2.jpg

DSCF1363-1.jpg

DSCF1364-2.jpg

DSCF1365-2.jpg

DSCF1366-2.jpg

DSCF1367-2.jpg

DSCF1368-2.jpg

And 395XP BB...

DSCF1415.jpg

DSCF1418.jpg

DSCF1413.jpg

DSCF1412.jpg

MS660 BB (this model is absolutely spot on and have had not one single fault/problem with nearly 50 kits)...

EDIT: Actually a couple of piston pins have been a few mm too long...

DSCF1420.jpg

DSCF1395.jpg

DSCF1425.jpg

DSCF1394.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back