Meteor Cylinder Quality

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you use one of these cylinders on a saw you're paying $250 to have ported?

• Total voters
And now for the OEM lovers.
Here is a genuine MS660 kit pulled from a BRAND NEW MS660 a few years back. Brad Snelling built two MS660's for me and the internal quality of both was a joke (after porting it didn't matter but...)
We have a problem yes?

975659980_yk2Jv-Mb.jpg

878122012_tSsPE-M.jpg

975659860_x2uDN-Mb.jpg

975659564_Z34Ai-Mb.jpg

878127063_fmjFX-M.jpg

878123764_822h6-M.jpg

Anybody that rags on aftermarket kits really needs to open their eyeballs for a change. We all ackowledge that Mahle are top quality kits but we forget that a lot of newer pro saws stopped running Mahle components a fair way back. Companies like Stihl are starting to cheap out their internals.

I don't think Stihl are making millions from replacement P&C kits.

Go to any Stihl dealer and ask if they have parts saws in the back, most will say no. They quote an outrageous price for there OEM kit including repair cost and then tell customers to buy new if the price is not acceptable... that is what kills me! And we wonder why some dealers do this, not me... my dealer is asking me for aftermarket parts. The saws that come in for repair that get quoted a high repair bill based on replacement OEM parts an shop labor charges are told... as they walk out he door with saw in hand to call me... The Stihl Gold Tech tells them to call me....:msp_wink:

And now for the OEM lovers.
Here is a genuine MS660 kit pulled from a BRAND NEW MS660 a few years back. Brad Snelling built two MS660's for me and the internal quality of both was a joke (after porting it didn't matter but...)
We have a problem yes?

975659980_yk2Jv-Mb.jpg

878122012_tSsPE-M.jpg

975659860_x2uDN-Mb.jpg

975659564_Z34Ai-Mb.jpg

878127063_fmjFX-M.jpg

878123764_822h6-M.jpg

Anybody that rags on aftermarket kits really needs to open their eyeballs for a change. We all ackowledge that Mahle are top quality kits but we forget that a lot of newer pro saws stopped running Mahle components a fair way back. Companies like Stihl are starting to cheap out their internals.

Those look pretty rough!

Those look pretty rough!

Well with a lot of people sh*tbagging aftermarket I thought I'd just drop some dodgey OEM photos on here so that little Billy who just dropped $1100 on a new MS660 isn't under the illusion that his brand new pro Stihl is somehow superior to an MS660 fitted with an aftermarket kit.

NOTE: The finish of the MS660 kits does not mean they make poor power or are unreliable. That's not the case at all however to see a finish like this on the internals of brand new, highly regarded pro saws is a bit of a disappointment. These have been in threads before on AS.

I have installed a bunch of aftermarket kits and for the most part didn't do anything to them. I have never had a problem with any of them.

And, they ran close enough to OEM that you wouldn't notice any difference, I'm not sure there was anything significant.

But, I am more interested in how they run than what they look like. And, I don't need to time a bunch of cookies to tell whether it will do a job or not.

Well with a lot of people sh*tbagging aftermarket I thought I'd just drop some dodgey OEM photos on here so that little Billy who just dropped $1100 on a new MS660 isn't under the illusion that his brand new pro Stihl is somehow superior to an MS660 fitted with an aftermarket kit.

NOTE: The finish of the MS660 kits does not mean they make poor power or are unreliable. That's not the case at all however to see a finish like this on the internals of brand new, highly regarded pro saws is a bit of a disappointment. These have been in threads before on AS.

AND remain largely UN-reported I'd wager to say! Like mentioned before... they all have there problems, no part is perfect 100% of the time. The aftermarket world is catching up rapidly... look around, you'd be surprised at whats really out there.... just have to look!

I could do a thread on one, but it'll be a while. When I get around to it I may get a 395 and a 372 one, need both. But got other stuff to do first. Would be real nice if they started making parts for 390's, I would definitely buy a few of those.

Yeppers......a 390XP top end would be most welcome here.

Thanks for those pics Matt.....the kits in them look like runners right of the shelf. Some assembly required of course. :D

I apologize for the comment that I directed at jus2fat........my feathers were ruffled about several things.......that had no place in this thread.

Here you go. Dolmar/Makita BB...
Other kits that have similar finish to these are the MS660 BB and 372XP BB.
Nice kits and in this case also have good squish. These Dolmar BB kits were coming in between .020 - .022" and pulling around 170-180psi compression. A number of guys on this site are running these kits. They even had good quality rings for a change.
This wasn't a hand picked one either and these photos are a few years old now.
Thanks for the GREAT pics..MCW - that's exactly what I was asking to see..!!

I really enjoy your posts as you are a straight-shooter and give unbiased opinions and reviews and experiences..!!

As Brad said...Meteor is / was screwing themselves by shipping inconsistent quality cylinders to their detriment.
They had the "ball in their court" and had the opportunity to rule the AM piston and cylinder market...and they didn't do it.

Thanks again for the really good pics..!!
:cheers:
J2F

No, when you had a supposed problem, you should have shut up, but that seems to be beyond you. You shot your mouth off about someone you didn't know, whose position you didn't know and about things that were in any case none of your damn business.

And still you apparently learned nothing by having several of us tell you just that, your mission in life seems to be yapping about things that you have no clue about.

And don't ever imagine yourself on the same level as Randy, you couldn't shine his shoes on a good day. You're going back on the ignore list now.

So.....how do you really feel Chris???? :msp_sneaky:

I repped you earlier this mornin my bovine friend or else it would certainly happen again. :msp_thumbup:

Back