Meteor Cylinder Quality

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you use one of these cylinders on a saw you're paying $250 to have ported?

• Total voters
Thanks for the GREAT pics..MCW - that's exactly what I was asking to see..!!

I really enjoy your posts as you are a straight-shooter and give unbiased opinions and reviews and experiences..!!

As Brad said...Meteor is / was screwing themselves by shipping inconsistent quality cylinders to their detriment.
They had the "ball in their court" and had the opportunity to rule the AM piston and cylinder market...and they didn't do it.

Thanks again for the really good pics..!!
:cheers:
J2F

Hey no worries. In fact some of the issues with certain kits can't be seen easily in a simple photo such as squish, lack of compression, and freeporting exhausts for example. Now I'm no saw porter or timing guru so when I was testing a lot of these kits I sent them off to other more technically minded AS members to get their feedback.
With some of the earlier kits I had the feedback was not good, even on kits that to the naked eye looked perfect. Some of Brad's original feedback was very valuable in regard to freeporting, port shape, and even tilted ports.
As mentioned high squish and a lack of compression is one constant complaint but only from saw builders. I have sold numerous kits on eBay with not one single complaint as the average buyer doesn't care that he only has 140-150psi as the saw still runs and performs well. In saying that though most kits are matching OEM for compression or are within 10psi.
For the guys who like ported/modded saws with higher compression that's where Randy steps in with squish band mods.

I get the idea that there are many different Chinese outfits and one Taiwan company making these AM cylinders. When people are selling them, they rarely mention the brand or source. Unless I can lay my eyes on one or have the word of a respected chainsaw man, I'm not buying a no name P&C.

Hey no worries. In fact some of the issues with certain kits can't be seen easily in a simple photo such as squish, lack of compression, and freeporting exhausts for example. Now I'm no saw porter or timing guru so when I was testing a lot of these kits I sent them off to other more technically minded AS members to get their feedback.
With some of the earlier kits I had the feedback was not good, even on kits that to the naked eye looked perfect. Some of Brad's original feedback was very valuable in regard to freeporting, port shape, and even tilted ports.
As mentioned high squish and a lack of compression is one constant complaint but only from saw builders. I have sold numerous kits on eBay with not one single complaint as the average buyer doesn't care that he only has 140-150psi as the saw still runs and performs well. In saying that though most kits are matching OEM for compression or are within 10psi.
For the guys who like ported/modded saws with higher compression that's where Randy steps in with squish band mods.

You got a pic of one of those fancy 77cc 365/372BB kits? What do they usually do for compression?

No, when you had a supposed problem, you should have shut up, but that seems to be beyond you. You shot your mouth off about someone you didn't know, whose position you didn't know and about things that were in any case none of your damn business.

And still you apparently learned nothing by having several of us tell you just that, your mission in life seems to be yapping about things that you have no clue about.

And don't ever imagine yourself on the same level as Randy, you couldn't shine his shoes on a good day. You're going back on the ignore list now.

Stuff like this has no place in this thread.

Honesty and ingregrity, I mean.

Alright now... I'm headed out to sea with no internet service until late Sunday night or Monday some time... you boys behave! Keep the pressure up on Brad... he may actually get that kit Friday or Saturday.... god I hope so... I'm dying to see the look on his face when he see's that things have changed..

Brad, we need pictures, numbers and the look in your eye when you see this kit. You know, the one with one eyebrow cocked up (the one with a big scar above it) and a sheepish grin on your face.. that would be a good picture to show.....

followed closely by an order of a few of those kits!!:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

This thread is going to explode while I'm gone....
ThisThreadIsUselessWithoutPichers.jpg

Last edited:
This polar bear guy here, he sees about everything there is to see.

Must get his excellent eyesight from squinting hard while pushing impacted seal parts, and stuff.

Impacted Seal parts are the least of Tom's worries, especially where his digestive tract is concerned.

Operator's are standing by to take your order's now.....

I'll take a BLT on whole wheat toast.

Alright now... I'm headed out to sea with no internet service until late Sunday night or Monday some time... you boys behave! Keep the pressure up on Brad... he may actually get that kit Friday or Saturday.... god I hope so... I'm dying to see the look on his face when he see's that things have changed..

Brad, we need pictures, numbers and the look in your eye when you see this kit. You know, the one with one eyebrow cocked up (the one with a big scar above it) and a sheepish grin on your face.. that would be a good picture to show.....

followed closely by an order of a few of those kits!!:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

This thread is going to explode while I'm gone....

Have a safe trip!

Latest posts

Back