Meteor Cylinder Quality

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you use one of these cylinders on a saw you're paying $250 to have ported?

• Total voters
Let's see - dead saw motor - no power. OEM kit same power on a well used saw :msp_confused: AM kit on a well used saw and it's back in the mix for cheap :msp_smile:

Point being once the saw is blown up or stuck, it's not doing any good. Cheap kit gets it back to being useable, excellent. Ain't building a race saw here. Just pulling a dead dog out and giving it some extra life.

I have two Meteor kits installed. Both run quite well. No real touch up work done. Good enough for a loaner or occasional use. Certainly good enough for CL or eBay.

Randy, this is good stuff. I'd be more than happy to review a kit for you. The only problem is that I have no stock cylinder here to compare it to. What I'm most interested in can be visually inspected and measured with a degree wheel. My 440 is currently wearing a Mahle 460 topend, which I would be more than willing to remove for this review.

Please do not take offense to this as I don't know you personally, but can you ensure that I don't recieve a hand picked kit? I hope you understand my request. Please don't take it personal.

My main concern with your replies is that you don't seem to really be owning the fact that there has been an ongoing problem with most all AM cylinder kits. Meteor is simply one of many. I've picked Meteor to pick on because of their reputation supplying top notch pistons. This would naturally lead us to think that the cylinders would be no different, at least it did me. Have we, or have we not had a serious ongoing problem with poor quality kits? I think the answer is clear, even today.

If you as a supplier are influencing this product in a significant way, then my hat's off to you and I applaud you for that. Other attemps have only been marginally successful. As much as the 066BB kits have improved, we still get reports of free porting and pistons hitting crowns. It drives me crazy to no end.

I will PM you my address. I see no reason to post it here in the open forum. That practice is ill advised.

I wrote a huge reply and inadvertently erased it in my haste to post. In that post I said it would be factory direct kit without my interference... that is a promise! I've been a man of my word since I can remember, I'm a retired Submarine sailor who takes pride in my integrity and I'll say that aftermarket kits are not up to par in most cases... except his one. They have made significant improvement in quality in the last two years. Nothing personal here, just that you made a blanket statement that did not sit right with me and you hadn't done a RECENT review of this product.... that's where my gripe lays.

I'll provide the kit and you give me an honest review, that's all I'm asking.. Overall, these kits are of very good quality and are the best value compared to OEM. I do NOT inspect them, I've looked at a bunch of them and felt that overall they are pretty darn good or I wouldn't carry them. Hell, even some of the Chinese made stuff is of pretty good quality... 1000's have sold without problems... you've only mentioned two.

I never take things personal unless you call me stupid, talk about my family, call me bad names, or say I can't hold my booze.... cross that line my friend and we will have a problem!

None of my kits are hand picked and they never will be.

You're pretty much validating my point. As I read your post, you wouldn't want one on a regularly used personal saw? I think most of the market expects a little more than that.

At what price point?

Meteor Cylinder kit shipped to your address, It's the MS460 flavor!

I'm going to have a seat now. I'm in Japan and its 3:09 AM and I'm due in to work in 3.5 hours.

I can't wait for this build!:msp_smile:

Last edited:
Hope you can find an OEM cylinder to compare, this isn't a comparison to a modified cylinder. Most guys like to read those types of threads, this is about an aftermarket replacement to OEM....comparing apples to apples here. We all like to read these kinds of threads!

Never discount the United States of America and her ways, my friend. We are the only dog in the fight.

View attachment 265754
Not trying to start a fight good sir, and believe me, I am as much of a red-blooded American as they come. I served our country PROUDLY for five years in the United States Marine Corps as my father did 40 years ago, and I am a six year member of UA Local 32 Plumbers and Pipefitters. I do not discount the United States of America, but her ways do sadden me.
This misunderstanding just proves my point all the more.
These "American corporations" are not stupid and are saving ALOT of money by outsourcing most of their products. -Have you noticed where most of the parts for your Ford come from? In general, they have a small portion of their products manufactured in the U.S. which allows them to print "Made in America" on their ads in the Bailey's catalogue (for instance), but most of their profit comes from overseas where taxes, labor, and materials are cheaper. They do this so that we (proud, red-blooded Americans) who love our country and want to support it by buying American-made products, continue to buy them.
Well, I'll get off my soap-box for now. Again, I mean no disrespect whatsoever to you or your opinions, and I'd be happy to talk to you further in private about the subject if you'd like.

Hope you can find an OEM cylinder to compare, this isn't a comparison to a modified cylinder. Most guys like to read those types of threads, this is about an aftermarket replacement to OEM....comparing apples to apples here. We all like to read these kinds of threads!
I would think Brad should have no problem "seeing or borrowing" an OEM MS460 cylinder from his 'personal' Stihl dealer.
:cheers:
J2F

View attachment 265754
Not trying to start a fight good sir, and believe me, I am as much of a red-blooded American as they come. I served our country PROUDLY for five years in the United States Marine Corps as my father did 40 years ago, and I am a six year member of UA Local 32 Plumbers and Pipefitters. I do not discount the United States of America, but her ways do sadden me.
These "American corporations" are not stupid and are saving ALOT of money by outsourcing most of their products. -Have you noticed where most of the parts for your Ford come from? In general, they have a small portion of their products manufactured in the U.S. which allows them to print "Made in America" on their ads in the Bailey's catalogue (for instance), but most of their profit comes from overseas where taxes, labor, and materials are cheaper. They do this so that we (proud, red-blooded Americans) who love our country and want to support it by buying American-made products, continue to buy them.
Well, I'll get off my soap-box for now. Again, I mean no disrespect whatsoever to you or your opinions, and I'd be happy to talk to you further in private about the subject if you'd like.

Semper-fi!!

I buy from a distributor who buys from a manufacturer. To bad they outsourced our own country into the position were in now! If someone actually made a kit in the US, that would be something... it would still be subject to criticism and could be just as crappy!

Hasn't Brad already stated he couldn't make power in these cylinders? Has his porting gotten better?.......any bets?......Hahahahahahaha!

.....Meteor cylinder kits.......I received a couple samples early on..... I ported the better of these two, and it still didn't make power. I used the same numbers that make an OEM cylinder run very well.

Hey Dennis, if you want, I could teach you how to quote a post. It's really not that difficult. Even a hotsaw builder could do it.

Sure, thanks Brad.........sorry, can't return the porting favor.:hmm3grin2orange:........but I can show you how to fell a tree.:D

View attachment 265754
Not trying to start a fight good sir, and believe me, I am as much of a red-blooded American as they come.
These "American corporations" are not stupid and are saving ALOT of money by outsourcing most of their products. -Have you noticed where most of the parts for your Ford come from? .

No offense taken. I'd talk to you any time, Kevin. :cheers:

I have a Ford?

Sure, thanks Brad.........sorry, can't return the porting favor.:hmm3grin2orange:........but I can show you how to fell a tree.:D

I'll exchange beer for a video of you felling an 8 foot Douglas Fir with a bike saw :D
Rumour has it you've felled a tree or ten :cheers:

This is one of those crummy top ends......

[video=youtube;JOKDTsact3U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOKDTsact3U[/video]

Back