Metering lever ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...did you verify that the 55 cylinder base has a port that lines up with the 51 crankcase deck?
Pioneerguy600
Oh-oh, here we go. I guess I'm pulling the jug. LOL !
I went to buy the 51 P/C from Bailey's and read that the 55 sounded like it was a "bolt-on" so I figured, "Why not ?". We'll see. I'll go back and see if I missed some fine print at Bailey's.
Good thinking ! Thanks !

I'll go back and see if I missed some fine print at Bailey's.

"This assembly will fit the model 50, 51 and 51 EPA and give your chainsaw increased displacement. This cylinder is the open port design."

Is this my problem ?

"This assembly will fit the model 50, 51 and 51 EPA and give your chainsaw increased displacement. This cylinder is the open port design."

Is this my problem ?

You can see where the impulse nipple fits in the cyl.that hole goes down and out the bottom and matches up against the crankcase that should have an opening right into the crankcase area.
yes,you can take a small wire and feed it in and should go WAY in if unblocked.
maybe your base gasket blocked it off ??

Just a thought,...you don't have one of the gaskets swapped end for end do you? make sure you are getting impulse from the crankcase up through cyl and the impulse corridor to the carb. Again just thinkin.....:cheers:
You nailed it. The base gasket was blocking the impulse. Not sure If I installed it wrong or it was just not cut out. I poked it through with a dentil pick. I'm anxious to see how it runs now, but a buddy is having a few us over to shoot pool and maybe have a beer (or 9). :)
Thanks again for starting this thread down the right road. :cheers:

Last edited:
Great job, guys. She's up and running.
Thanks ! :clap:
I'm glad I didn't have to mess with the metering lever. My big, dumb fingers aren't good with teeny little parts like that. I'm always relieved just to get those things on without sending 2 or 3 springs flying across my shop in the process. I think the kits should come with at least 3 springs. :)

Latest posts

Back