Michigan mini-GTG

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HELSEL said:
Sorry Mark, We all had a great time,thank you for having us.The food was great. Tell the lady's I said thank you they did a great job with the food. I am still full.I think it would be great place for another GTG.We are having a race here in Manton on Labor day you guys are all more than welcome to come.There is going to be alot of world class sawer's there.Mark I am sure I can get a spot to do some carving. Let me know if you want in.

Rick
I will let you know in the near future Rick, thanks for thinking of me and Shelley said she was glad to feed all of us.
Mark

Damn, Wish i could have attended. Hopefully I can make the next go round. I had a funeral this morning to attend and just got home from a job for work. I hate entertainment events.

Kris, I can work some magic with a DVD. I've never tried using a DVD or VHS, but I might be able to make them work. I normally use my kodak dig camera to record my vids. I should have enough space on Youtube to host them.

-Steve

CaseyForrest said:
For those who are interested in some times....These are all 2 cuts, one down, one up.

The 7900 went through in just over 5 seconds, the 460 went through in around 6. 20" bar, 3/8 50 gauge RM, new out of the box.

What did I tell you Brandon? :laugh: That saw is one bad dude to beat in stock form.

What kind of would was used? Looks like yellow poplar from the pics. That or ash.

If it means anything to you Casey, my 2186 J'Red (385xp) cut in the mid to high 5's at the GTG in the spring in Ohio. The wood was cotton wood and same deal, two cuts, saw over the wood.

-Steve

Freakingstang said:
What did I tell you Brandon? :laugh: That saw is one bad dude to beat in stock form.

What kind of would was used? Looks like yellow poplar from the pics. That or ash.

If it means anything to you Casey, my 2186 J'Red (385xp) cut in the mid to high 5's at the GTG in the spring in Ohio. The wood was cotton wood and same deal, two cuts, saw over the wood.

-Steve
We were using Poplar.
Ricks 7900 runs real hard!
We will be looking to meet you at the next one,
Mark

Yep, I think its time to open the muffler up to where it should be on the 460.

Ill give this to Brandon too, he had a much better technique than I did, I locked the chain up on two of the starts, and missed the up cut once....

Ricks stock 7900 beat Brandons stock 7900 by over a second. So we all are going to relearn how to file chains!!!

If I remember correctly, Rick took Reddogs 044 BB and cut two seconds faster than Reddog with the same saw, so theres something to be said for technique!!

CaseyForrest said:
If I remember correctly, Rick took Reddogs 044 BB and cut two seconds faster than Reddog with the same saw, so theres something to be said for technique!!

What did I tell you? :laugh:

Freakingstang said:
Rick is a great guy and one can learn a million things watching him cut. After all, when you and the family are cutting trees for all day long and then takenin it to the races, they know how to cut. I would be happy if I could come in within 2 seconds of him with the same saw and chain. That is nothing but a pipe dream. that is something that only years of experience and learning from others can do.

Steve

Rick is a good operator. I hope you learned a thing or two while you were there!

-Steve

Just wanted to let you all know that Rick did let us all run some of his saws.WoW. We were all amazed how much performance is hidden in the chains.
Thanks Rick for the generousity and education.
Mark
:chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

Official Numbers

Here they are, all the numbers for the saws I was able to capture on tape...

Brandon:

7900 5.93/5.82
066 4.75/5.59
026 11.9

Helsel:

7900 3.53
Husky 50 2.50/2.65
I did not get any footage of his 181 or 3120, unfortuantely. It doesnt matter anyway, the cut was so fast there wouldnt be any tape of it anyway!!!

Caseyforrest:

460 6.16
260 11.22

the 395 to 066 shootout:

395 5.50/5.57
066 5.59/5.22

Reddog, I got footage of your cut, but didnt get the time.

There they are...

Steve, I thought my computer had RCA plugs, but it doesnt. So not much I can do other than make a VHS copy and send it to whomever wants one.

attachment.php

Back