Mid Virginia GTG?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
March 19 :hmm3grin2orange:

Yes, of course, a capital for the first letter of a month. Some might be offended by your corrections, but I am not. A lax attitude as to grammer and spelling is more than obvious in todays society as a whole, and particularly this forum. Yours is a tough job, but as they say, "somebody's gotta do it".
Igpoe:cheers:

What is the zip code so I can see how far this hillbilly would have to drive!!! :msp_thumbup:

juice!

Rick,
I've fired the A900 and the DA-211 both today, but no point really as both need carb work now.
Igpoe

My weekend was spent pulling the rear end out of my Sierra.

I was helping my dad remove a tree that was threatning to fall across his driveway. The tree dropped across the road(which I was expecting it to do). I hooked the chains to it, and hooked it up to the truck. I tightened up the chain, rolled on the throttle, all seemed well. Moved it about 10 feet or so, and the G-80 "gov-bomb" locker spilled it's guts in a heart-sinking "metallic crunch".

This was not a huge tree, about 20 inches in diameter and maybe 45 feet tall, and was Red Oak(i think), so I was not really abusing the truck. I guess the combo of a tuned 5.3, and 35 inch BFG A/T's was more than it could stand.

I will still be at the GTG, but will have no where near the saws running I was hoping for.....Gotta fix this mess first

I was helping my dad remove a tree that was threatning to fall across his driveway. The tree dropped across the road(which I was expecting it to do). I hooked the chains to it, and hooked it up to the truck. I tightened up the chain, rolled on the throttle, all seemed well. Moved it about 10 feet or so, and the G-80 "gov-bomb" locker spilled it's guts in a heart-sinking "metallic crunch".

This was not a huge tree, about 20 inches in diameter and maybe 45 feet tall, and was Red Oak(i think), so I was not really abusing the truck. I guess the combo of a tuned 5.3, and 35 inch BFG A/T's was more than it could stand.

I will still be at the GTG, but will have no where near the saws running I was hoping for.....Gotta fix this mess first

Sorry that happened. That tree sounds like it would be heavy. The 35" tires had changed the ratios to be too tall maybe, I dunno. Any luck with the 7-55?

Got the rings in, and the diaphram cut and assembled, and the cylinder back on it, but that's about it.

I am so P.Oed right now it is not funny. This is a serious set-back, both time wise and financially, But, oh well. Dad offered to help pay for overhauling the rear, so in the morning, I will be on the phone ordering a full differential bearing kit, a Detroit locker, and a set of Moser axles. When I am done with it, i will just say......Break this you #####!!!!

I have drug larger trees, and never had an issue. I practice extreme throttle control when dragging heavy objects, ie. no hard or adrupt throttle input. Just ease into it, and let her move at her own pace. Not sure what happened this time, Igpoe , you may be right, the extra height and grip of these tires, may have been to much.

Last edited:
Got the rings in, and the diaphram cut and assembled, and the cylinder back on it, but that's about it.

I am so P.Oed right now it is not funny. This is a serious set-back, both time wise and financially, But, oh well. Dad offered to help pay for overhauling the rear, so in the morning, I will be on the phone ordering a full differential bearing kit, a Detroit locker, and a set of Moser axles. When I am done with it, i will just say......Break this you #####!!!!

I have drug larger trees, and never had an issue. I practice extreme throttle control when dragging heavy objects, ie. no hard or adrupt throttle input. Just ease into it, and let her move at her own pace. Not sure what happened this time, Igpoe , you may be right, the extra height and grip of these tires, may have been to much.

This too will pass.
:cheers:

Alot of guys run Detroit Lockers and they are bulletproof Differentials, but they are pretty rough to drive on the road. I would'nt really want one in my daily driver. They make a ratcheting noise when your out of the throttle and they "lock" up soon as you push the gas. It's dangerous when cornering as you usually get into the throttle about halfway through a curve. When they lock they'll throw you and can make you slide, especially when it's wet.

I would rather have a Detroit Truetrac or an Eaton posi in my daily driver. The Eaton is as tough as they get. If I were using a Detroit Locker, it would be in the front differential only.

This is just my opinion bud. Just speaking from my own trial and error.

Rick,
I've fired the A900 and the DA-211 both today, but no point really as both need carb work now.
Igpoe
Thanks, Dean! If you heard a "pop" or 2, there's hope for them....:)

Sorry to hear about that bad luck, but you will have a good time here when you come down..

I think i figured out what happened. Being in a hurry, I did not lock the truck in "4-low", which I always do, no matter the weight being moved. This oversight, put all the pressure on the rear axle, instead of dividing it evenly between front and rear...the rest is history.

Good news is that I found a guy who has a brand new G-80 locker, right down the street from where a work. This way, I can keep the ABS functional, and it is a drop-in:msp_biggrin:.

I will still be behind,but more time-wise, then money-wise

vgn

I think i figured out what happened. Being in a hurry, I did not lock the truck in "4-low", which I always do, no matter the weight being moved. This oversight, put all the pressure on the rear axle, instead of dividing it evenly between front and rear...the rest is history.

Good news is that I found a guy who has a brand new G-80 locker, right down the street from where a work. This way, I can keep the ABS functional, and it is a drop-in:msp_biggrin:.

I will still be behind,but more time-wise, then money-wise

Excellent! Good things come to those who wait.
Ever figure out what sort of Lombard that was you got from me?

Igpoe, as for as I can tell, It is a Lombard Model 5. I have not gotten the cylinder off, it is locked up tighter than Fort Knox. The rear handle was badly corroded, and actually broke off when i picked it out of the back of the truck. Someone somewhere, had attempted a repair before, but i am going to make that box rear handle out of steel. It is another that will not be ready for the GTG.

Hopefully, if this one goes good, GoRving will have another sometime, because I have a few saws, that require extensive work, that would be neat GTG saws.

Igpoe, as for as I can tell, It is a Lombard Model 5. I have not gotten the cylinder off, it is locked up tighter than Fort Knox. The rear handle was badly corroded, and actually broke off when i picked it out of the back of the truck. Someone somewhere, had attempted a repair before, but i am going to make that box rear handle out of steel. It is another that will not be ready for the GTG.

Hopefully, if this one goes good, GoRving will have another sometime, because I have a few saws, that require extensive work, that would be neat GTG saws.

If everyone has a good time, we will do this every year.

The time is drawing near, and we've heard from a handful of the members here to say that they plan to attend, but would like to see more interest. It won't cost anybody a penny(except fuel to get here), so if you can make it, try to attend.

I would like to attend and probaly another member who is pretty close to me. I will know if i'm going to be able to make it by the end of the week.

Don't really have any older saws but would love to come and check some out.....I do have a bunch of newer Husqvarna saws.....350,455,359,338xpt,346xp,357xp,372xp,372xpw,390xp,394xp,3120xp and multples of some of them.

The time is drawing near, and we've heard from a handful of the members here to say that they plan to attend, but would like to see more interest. It won't cost anybody a penny(except fuel to get here), so if you can make it, try to attend.

I'll be in South Boston that weekend and want to know the address and what time this is taking place. Thanks

Back