Modern replacement for Stihl 028 AV?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made the mistake of having a torn apart 026 and 028 on the bench last week (along with other stuff). Well as normal around here stuff gets pushed around if it's on a bench and the trays holding the parts got dumped over.

It certainly took a while to sort out what parts went to which saw as they are nearly the same machine!
I haven't run either in wood, but if I was blindfolded I couldn't tell them apart, even when running.

Spot on.

If you've ever built both a 026 and an 028 you'll understand this. About the same displacement, but when you get to the 026 after the 028 you say "where did all the metal go?". The 028 is just a beefy overbuilt saw with an extra pound or two of metal in all the right places.

If you don't want to rebuild it, my vote is the 261 also. You can sell the old broken 028 here to make a few bucks back.

I made the mistake of having a torn apart 026 and 028 on the bench last week (along with other stuff). Well as normal around here stuff gets pushed around if it's on a bench and the trays holding the parts got dumped over.

It certainly took a while to sort out what parts went to which saw as they are nearly the same machine!
I haven't run either in wood, but if I was blindfolded I couldn't tell them apart, even when running.
For real?

The 026 crankcase is around 75% the size and a pound or two less.

My goodness this rabbit hole can go deep! LOL. Now I find myself scouring Clist and eBay for clean, used 028's! Cylinder kit is on the way to rebuild dad's Super. Now I've got to decide if it's going to be a complete teardown, to replace bearings, seals, etc. Basically, splitting cases vs just popping another jug on. Part of me says to leave it sealed with quality original parts (bearings, etc), other part says "uh, that was 30 years ago". lol

My goodness this rabbit hole can go deep! LOL. Now I find myself scouring Clist and eBay for clean, used 028's! Cylinder kit is on the way to rebuild dad's Super. Now I've got to decide if it's going to be a complete teardown, to replace bearings, seals, etc. Basically, splitting cases vs just popping another jug on. Part of me says to leave it sealed with quality original parts (bearings, etc), other part says "uh, that was 30 years ago". lol
The MS-270 Farm Boss is the replacement the MS-250 And the MS-251 Wood Boss in not the replacement
025 Is the MS250
Like the 029 is the ms290 all the did is took the "0" replaced it with the MS- here in the last couple of year they started adding ”1” to the end of the size

I sold two of my 028's because everybody wanted one. I kept the one I liked the most, and it's a dead ringer for Duane's in post #47, except I added an outside bumper spike:
Saw Vise04.jpg
These saws are hard to kill and likely should have been saved and modernized with M-tronics. They weigh about 2 lb more than the typical 50+cc saw today. Truly a good performer.

Latest posts

Back