Modifying Oil Pumps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first step to drive out this roll pin.

IMG_3683.JPG

I just leave it right here, no reason to drive it all the way out. If you're like me.....you would drop it in the floor, and it would enter a alternate universe.

IMG_3684.JPG

Thank good buddy, that going on my list of things to do soon with a high flow oiler on it and running a 32" bar to me it just don't oil good enough for me turn all the way up,but works just fine on the 28" bar after you mod the oiler can you still adjust the oiler for different size bars.

Thank good buddy, that going on my list of things to do soon with a high flow oiler on it and running a 32" bar to me it just don't oil good enough for me turn all the way up,but works just fine on the 28" bar after you mod the oiler can you still adjust the oiler for different size bars.

Yes sir, it's still adjustable.

Very cool work there doctor. Is that hardened steel, or could a file also be used to shape it (albeit much more slooowly)? Are the husqvarna oilers in any way similar?

A good file should cut it....and yes sir Husky oilers are designed the same way.

i need to wrap my head around this. the way i do them is a steep'n up the piston face to increase stroke. the screw is different then the huskies as the huskies don't have an offset like that. the screw just rides on a different section of the piston face to adjust stroke. (closer to the center is less stroke, closer to edge increases stroke. i have modded stihls the same way i do the huskies with success. i just fail to see how modding that screw would help it oil more as it doesn't actually steep'n up the piston face which is the key thing that determines the piston stroke. it would seem that modding that screw would only allow the piston to operate in a different position but not increasing stroke since the face is the same. i'd be stoked for an explanation though cause that way would be much easier then the way i do it. :)

Is this the same way I've seen it done on the 7900?

Mike Lee posted about a few different ways to get more stroke. This was one of those ways. You can also alter the ramp on the plunger. If you do both you better buy stock in the oil companies.

I've not tried this on anything but a Stihl, but I think most adjustable oil pumps would be similar in design.

i need to wrap my head around this. the way i do them is a steep'n up the piston face to increase stroke. the screw is different then the huskies as the huskies don't have an offset like that. the screw just rides on a different section of the piston face to adjust stroke. (closer to the center is less stroke, closer to edge increases stroke. i have modded stihls the same way i do the huskies with success. i just fail to see how modding that screw would help it oil more as it doesn't actually steep'n up the piston face which is the key thing that determines the piston stroke. it would seem that modding that screw would only allow the piston to operate in a different position but not increasing stroke since the face is the same. i'd be stoked for an explanation though cause that way would be much easier then the way i do it. :)
The ramp on the stihl rides there. The spring keeps it in contact with that little nub and when you take it down a little you get more stroke. The HO oilers are about .2-.3mm more than the regular. Which is only .011" to match it.

The ramp on the stihl rides there. The spring keeps it in contact with that little nub and when you take it down a little you get more stroke. The HO oilers are about .2-.3mm more than the regular. Which is only .011" to match it.

thinking about how the stihls are setup differently then the huskies i figure the less oil would mean the high side of the offset would be towards the center of the piston face. turn the adjustment and the low side of the offset (where modified) would contact closer to the edge of the piston face? so increasing that offset allows for the adjuster to get more stroke by riding more on the edge of the piston face? that makes sense to me but i guess it's limited by the width of the face. if this is correct then this mod won't work on the huskies since there adjustment screws don't have that offset. modding the piston face would be the only way. a little goes a long way too. i once went to far on one and had the oiler draining the oil tank per tank of gas on medium setting. the stihls would certainly benefit from this more then the huskies.

You can go too far and empty the tanks quickly and make a mess all over the clutch cover.

The shoulder on the stihls is set where the most offset is on the highest setting. If you have too much you can turn it back down and still have more flow on half way than before.

gonna try this next. it looks like it would improve it just enough to make a stihl oil as good as a husky. way easier then modding the piston face too.

Back