More Water Capacity??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HEAVY FUEL

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Grantsburg, WI, Gateway to the swamps of Minnesota
I've been thinking lately about about adding an extra water tank to my existing WoodMaster 5500. If I remember right it holds around 250 gallons now,and I've been considering adding another 250 gallon tank for more stored BTUs. If any of you have done this let me know how it worked for you or if was worth it.

I have also considered this possibility. The good part is that you could build a fire and it would burn efficiently a long time getting the water up to temperature - thereby having a nice long time to burn efficiently and as smokeless as possible. If you could size the tank so that it could keep you heated for 12-24 hours - You would only have to build a fire once or twice a day and it would burn completely down to coals if you were a good judge at how much wood to add. The tank could either be built next to the OWB or placed in the house - and it could easily be insulated to store the heat.

The bad news is that if you put too much wood in - the OWB would be in the smolder mode for a long, long time and when it finally fired up it could smoke like crazy for even longer than normal. Also the OWB controls may not work real well with the system. In the case of my Woodmaster the blower shuts off when the water reaches 170 degrees, then comes back on at 150 degrees - and the OWB blower shuts down at 120 degrees as it senses the fire is out. This system works just fine as I put in enough wood to keep the water from dropping below 150 most of the time. With the expanded water supply if I put in what I thought was an adequate amount of wood and I got the temperature of the water up to 170 just as the wood supply ran out - then if the temperature dropped below 150 and the fan came on - it would continue to run the fan non-stop and blow cold air inside the furnace until the temperature dropped below 120. (This would waste lots of energy when the blower was moving cold air through the inside of my furnace with no wood inside to burn). Even on the natural draft furnaces this could be an efficiency killer as the outside air would come inside the OWB and get heated up and go out the chimney as long as the OWB sensors were trying to keep a non-existant fire going. I suppose you could install some form of controls so that the blower (damper) would not come on after the first cycle.

Unless you are going to use the extra heat capacity to allow you to only build one or two fires a day that burn completely - I don't really see any benefit in the extra water capacity. As the weather gets warmer I may see if it is possible for me to keep my domestic hot water heated by only burning one clean/efficient small fire a day. I may have a problem with this on wet rainy days as my furnace does not have a chimney cap and rainwater can enter my furnace - the fellow I bought the furnace from did not recommend a cap as the creosote builds up on the cap and drips on the furnace and makes it look bad.

You may need to go to a bigger pump, as you are doubling the amount of water you are pumping now, using more electricity. If your OWB was in a shed and you could put a tank next to it and insulate it there may be some benefit. I dont think an extra 250 would cause the problems associated with too much time between burn cycles. I wouldnt go much bigger than that though.

Right now I feel my OWB turns on and off too much. I am going to try to do some things over the summer to try and make my times between cycles longer.

Huskyman: I don't believe you will need a bigger pump if you add an additional insulated storage tank. It is my thought that the goal is not to pump more water faster to get more heat into the house - the goal is to be able to store in reserve more heat energy - and adding water will do that and make it possible to go longer without any fire. This would allow you to build a small efficient, clean burning fire and store the heat to use later - and the normal size pump could do this just as easy as it pumps the normal amount of water. I don't think it makes any difference where the insulated tank is located as long as it is somewhere on the path between the OWB and the heated space.

If you believe your Woodmaster cycles too much - have you reset your set points? When my Woodmaster came it was set with only a 10 degree spread between the on and off points (160/170). When the fellow I bought it from came back to hook up the garage he reset the computer to have a 20 degree spread and it turn on at 150/170 now. I tried to do it myself - however the manual is really confusing about the method for doing this and I got confused by it.

I tried messing with it a little bit but I did not see how to adjust the on/off points. I would like to have mine set at 160/180. I will probably set it that way for next season. Until you posted though I did not know you could change the spread between cycles, just the high temp shutoff.

Huskyman: The shut off point is set at 170, then you set the spread or differential. If you set it at 10 degrees it will come on at 160, if it is set at 20 it will come on at 150. When mine was set at 10 it seemed that just as the fire was coming out of the smolder mode and starting to burn clean - it would shut off and start smoldering. I believe my furnace burns cleaner with the 20 degree spread. The Woodmaster manual is pretty confusing about how to set the temperature difference.

I have also thought a little bit more about the additonal storage tank idea. One thing that could happen is that with a hot fire the temperature in the OWB could rise much faster than the colder water from the additional storage tank and house could be returned to the furnace - so the furnace may actually cycle a time or two before it heats all the water up. This would potentially ruin the idea of heating all the water up with a single burn cycle - but would still provide the ability to store lots of heat after the fire has gone out.

Last edited:
I'm sure guys have done this already, I was wondering what their results were. I am starting to frown on the idea. Seems that I would be creating a big heat sink that I don't know how much of that I would actually use efficiently. Burn time is already plenty for me. I do only have it set for 10 degree drop before it turns on. I think I'll go set her for 20. Thanks guys.

Back