MS 361 vs. 290 Farm Boss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

28sstony

Reaction score
Ive had a 20" 290 Farm Boss for the past 8 years, its been a great saw for occasional clearing projects around the farm. We just had our woods logged and now I find myself facing the task of turning 8 acres of mostly Ash tops into firewood, somehow I think my trusty old 290 better sit this one out. Ive been eyeballing a 361 at the local dealer, 20" bar is all I will ever need, will I notice a night and day difference between the 290 and 361 or will the gains just be minimal?

I also have a 290, with a 20" bar. While it is a good saw (I love it!!!), it is not in the same league as a 361. I am sure that you will hear that the 361 cures everything and was sent down by God himself. That said, it is a pro saw, and will last much longer and is easier to work on. It's a stronger, faster, better saw that will last a lifetime- save the 290 for the dirty work or a backup, get a 361, and run wild with it.

Stony,
I own both, and I would advise you to buy the 361. For one thing it is lighter; and it's always good to have a good back up saw. Use both for the clean up and you won't be beatin either to death.

8 acres of ash tops? 290 should handle that just fine, unless the diameter is above 20". Of course the 361 is a better, more powerful saw. But, if your 290 is in good shape you wont need a 361. Some of these people here will steer you towards a saw just cause they read it was the best. If you want a 361, sure, go buy one, but if your 290 is in good running order and the wood diameter isnt too big realistically for the 290 on a consistent basis, its not necessary.

And what about the smell, don't you think it would stink a bit? At least until the mag caught on fire, then it would be cool and we could pour wateronit to put it out!!!:dizzy:

have both and use both the 361 is a nicer saw and it better be for the price. The anti-vibe is better and the power is better. We cut firewood and a lot of it. I use the 361, the F.I.L. uses the 290. He bought it due to price at the end of the day he wishes the spent the money for a 361. The 290 is more than capable of doing the job, the 361 just does it better.

have both and use both the 361 is a nicer saw and it better be for the price. The anti-vibe is better and the power is better. We cut firewood and a lot of it. I use the 361, the F.I.L. uses the 290. He bought it due to price at the end of the day he wishes the spent the money for a 361. The 290 is more than capable of doing the job, the 361 just does it better.

:agree2:

I don't know, I think the 290 is to close to the 361 in performance, I have ran both, I have a 310 same as the 290 just a tad bigger, I worked a 361 before I even heard of the 290-390 saws. I just don't see where that is a real step up from what you already have, the 361 is a bit more powerful maybe a whole second in 16" wood, but it does feel more nimble to throw around. I say do what I did, keep the 290 and buy a Dolmar 7900, the performance of a 460+ for the price of a 361. I know the typ. arguments around here on how you can rebuild the 361 on your couch with one beer in your hand, but c'mon who really does that. Who cares the 290 is rebuildable and I have yet to hear how long it really takes to wear a 290 out, most that have em say they have used the hell out of them, I just don't see where they are going to last any longer cutting firewood and such.:cheers:

Yep. You'll be able to tell the difference. I just got a 361, and ran it last week-end for the first time. I enjoyed running it much more than the 310 I used to have (btw - that was all the saw I would ever need). The 361 is smoother and lighter. And it just plain handles better. You already know what your 290 can do, and you know it would take care of all the 20" ash you could throw at it. But if you're asking the question, it means you just WANT it. G'head. Get it. You won't regret it.

8 acres of ash tops? 290 should handle that just fine, unless the diameter is above 20". Of course the 361 is a better, more powerful saw. But, if your 290 is in good shape you wont need a 361. Some of these people here will steer you towards a saw just cause they read it was the best. If you want a 361, sure, go buy one, but if your 290 is in good running order and the wood diameter isnt too big realistically for the 290 on a consistent basis, its not necessary.

I'm with bowtie on this. Muffler mod that 290 (pretty easy to do on that saw) and you'll be pretty close performance wise with the 361 without dropping the cash. If you dont know how to tune the carb, go here. And if you're still not sure about it, I'm sure your dealer would do it. The 361 is a really nice saw, but if I had a 290, I wouldnt waste my money on one. If you wanna get a new saw, get something like the 7900 or maybe even something smaller and easier to limb with if you dont cut the big stuff. Everyone needs AT LEAST one backup saw. :)

Go Smaller!

Man, I'm with Evanrude on this one.

If you have 8 acres of tops to crawl around in and to clean up, get yourself a light pro class saw. Being a Stihl fan you'd probably want a 260 Pro.

You already have a capable saw to handle the upper end of stuff that you said you'd need. So make it a bit easier on yourself!

Al :)

I am with Bowtie, he has given you good logical advise. However if you just want an excuse to buy a new saw, you can't go wrong with either a MS260 or a MS361. The muffler mods to either saw I am told are worth the trouble as long as the extra noise is not a problem for you or your neighbors. I plan on muffler modding mine as soon as I get them broke in. Good luck! Saw Safely! :cheers:

What about the fun factor?

..and get it with an 18" bar, if most wood is 20" or less.

Ive had a 20" 290 Farm Boss for the past 8 years, its been a great saw for occasional clearing projects around the farm. We just had our woods logged and now I find myself facing the task of turning 8 acres of mostly Ash tops into firewood, somehow I think my trusty old 290 better sit this one out. Ive been eyeballing a 361 at the local dealer, 20" bar is all I will ever need, will I notice a night and day difference between the 290 and 361 or will the gains just be minimal?

If it was me, I would step up to 70cc to see the night and day difference and trade the 290 in on a less than 11 pound saw for the smaller stuff.

Back