MS 461 or MS 661 CM?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Cornwallis

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So I've been bitten by the bug, and it didn't take long to figure out what I already knew, I would need more than one saw. I'm looking for a big saw to compliment my 261 CM and I'm wondering which would be the most appropriate, the 461 or the 661 CM. Primary use would be for felling and bucking large laurel and live oaks on my ranch. My gut tells me since I already have a 50cc saw to go big and get the 661 but I'm wondering if it would be too much saw. It would spend most of its life with a 25" bar and occasional use with a 30"+ bar for felling really big trees. I like that the 661 is an M Tronic saw and has the newer AV system I'm just a little concerned about the extra 1.7 lbs of weight.

If you're gonna go 50cc to 90cc, your gonna want something in the middle too. Something like a strong 60cc saw or a 70cc saw. The 661 is an awesome saw, but it's big and heavy. A 25" bar with the occasional need for a 32" can definitely be handled by the 461. And while you can do this with either saw, a 20" bar on the 461 will be an excellent combo when the wood gets over 14" and your 261 starts to slow down.

I love my 066's but find myself using the 044/046's more often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So I've been bitten by the bug, and it didn't take long to figure out what I already knew, I would need more than one saw. I'm looking for a big saw to compliment my 261 CM and I'm wondering which would be the most appropriate, the 461 or the 661 CM. Primary use would be for felling and bucking large laurel and live oaks on my ranch. My gut tells me since I already have a 50cc saw to go big and get the 661 but I'm wondering if it would be too much saw. It would spend most of its life with a 25" bar and occasional use with a 30"+ bar for felling really big trees. I like that the 661 is an M Tronic saw and has the newer AV system I'm just a little concerned about the extra 1.7 lbs of weight.

I think it is a matter of good and great. The 461 would do a good job on those big trees while the 661 would be great. The 461, I think, would be of more use to you than the 661. Versatility being the key.

Thanks for all the great input, it looks like people's opinions are fairly split and everyone seems to have solid reasons to back up their opinions. Is the lack of M-Tronic a good thing or bad on the 461?

EDIT: Also, FWIW I think I'm starting to lean more towards the 461 due to the fact that I think I may use it slightly more than the 661. Originally I had thought that I would be able to get away with a three saw solution (MS 193, MS 261, MS661) but now it's looking like I may actually need four to cover all the bases.

Montana Resident has a very good argument for the 661, however. I've found my 261 to be A LOT more saw than I thought it would be. I currently run it with a 16" bar and I'm pretty amazed at how well it pulls in oak.

25" bar is a 461 territory.

So you're saying the 661 is massive over kill for consistently running a 25" bar? Also, how much rougher is the 461 with its older anti vibe system? My 261 is suuuuuupppper smooth.

People seem to be split on M-Tronic. I'm typically pretty really old school with a lot of things but to me M Tronic seems like a pretty good idea. I don't have enough time behind a saw to have a real opinion yet, however, I look at it like this, computer controlled engine management in cars and other internal combustion applications is able to do some amazing things, so I don't see how it's a bad thing in a chain saw.

My fear with buying a 661 is that it will be too much saw, my fear with buying a 461 is that it's older technology and a few months after I buy it something more refined will be introduced. If the 461 had better AV and M Tronic I wouldn't even be thinking twice.

Edit: I also tend to over analyze things. I have a feeling I'll probably end up with both a 70cc and 90cc saw anyway, so a big part of me says to go ahead a buy the newer 661 and when the next generation 70cc saw comes out (462?) then I'll pick it up too.

I have a 461, but if I was bucking big logs all day, I would have a 661.

Do not buy the 25" bar. Get a 28" (or 32 if you're very tall) will keep your back straighter while limbing and will be much less fatiguing. I wouldn't listen to my dealer and bought a 25". All that 25 does is add weight, keeps you bent over anyway - and kills your back limbing. I then bought a 28" light bar and it's a night and day difference in usability and comfort.

I have a 461, but if I was bucking big logs all day, I would have a 661.

Do not buy the 25" bar. Get a 28" (or 32 if you're very tall) will keep your back straighter while limbing and will be much less fatiguing. I wouldn't listen to my dealer and bought a 25". All that 25 does is add weight, keeps you bent over anyway - and kills your back limbing. I then bought a 28" light bar and it's a night and day difference in usability and comfort.

+1 on the 28" light bar. Not cheap, but what is anymore?

+1 on the 28" light bar. Not cheap, but what is anymore?

Nope. Not cheap, but not bad if bought with the saw. Doing it my way is always the most expensive.

As far as "too much" saw, if you're bucking substantially sized rounds, a 661 is not too much saw. I was very worried about ending up with more saw than I could handle. It was a needless worry. An 880 is a tremendous amount of saw, but neither a 461 or 661 is "too much" - now that I know better.

Nope. Not cheap, but not bad if bought with the saw. Doing it my way is always the most expensive.

As far as "too much" saw, if you're bucking substantially sized rounds, a 661 is not too much saw. I was very worried about ending up with more saw than I could handle. It was a needless worry. An 880 is a tremendous amount of saw, but neither a 461 or 661 is "too much" - now that I know better.

My 461R came with a 28" b/c. It wasn't until after the fact that I bought it, that I wanted a light bar for it.

I do not own a 661, but I really like my 441. It runs a 25 and occasionally a 32-inch bar real well. My guess is that most of what you do, you need probably a 20, or 25-inch bar. I would love to have a 661, but have zero justification for it, as I don't mill and have never encountered a tree that I cannot handle with the 441. If I bought a new saw, I would definitely try the M-tronic version. The older I get, the more I reach for smaller saws, not bigger. My 441 is currently wearing a 20-inch bar.

Latest posts

Back