MS210 sticks or locks up at BDC...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are both 021's old style on right,new style on the left.
attachment.php

By the way,they both had spacer failure on the clutch side.

I wonder if there is any stress damage to the wrist pin holes in the piston? Could they be stressed by something like that? I wonder if something else besides the rod could be causing the rod failure? The rod is obviously the weak link. Just a thought

Makes you wonder how it ran at all.

That is what I was thinking...It could not have been building any compression...I just want to know how the rod got bent...I will try to talk to the guy tomorrow and get a little more info on what happened or why he took it to the dealer...

That is what I was thinking...It could not have been building any compression...I just want to know how the rod got bent...I will try to talk to the guy tomorrow and get a little more info on what happened or why he took it to the dealer...

Maybe a sudden stop at WOT. Like a chainbrake engaging??? That would bend it I bet.

The crankshaft assembly for the later 021,#1123-030-0411 is the same as the 210.The wrist pin numbers are the same too,#4119-034-1500.

Need a picture of the top of the piston. That saw could not have been usuable with that much bend. If a dealer did that make sure to let them know as that would be very crappy work and they should know better.

There are a lot of those saws out there so if using the brake was bending the rod I would guess there would be a lot more un-happy people screaming at the dealers. That particular type of rod is not unusual in small engines. It is a shame but it is indicitive of the direction that saw manufacturing has taken.

For those of you saying to buy the off brands because of the quality just remember that the little guys are foldin up and selling out. Also the deals that are being had on many of those saws are a very limited time only and hard to find in mass quantities for most people.

That being said, I would not own that model of Stihl if Andreas Stihl signed it and handed it to me. I expect better than that from them.

Last edited:
That is exactly what happened to mine. The rod bent and I knew something was wrong because it was binding when the rod hit the cylinder wall. I'm shocked as well that it even ran at all. How in the world was it able to build enough compression to fire? Someone knows what bent it. It didn't happen while it was running. I'd be surprised if you get the straight from the dealer if they tried to disassemble it and bent it.

Last edited:
That is exactly what happened to mine. The rod bent and I knew something was wrong because it was binding when the rod hit the cylinder wall. I'm shocked as well that it even ran at all. How in the world was it able to build enough compression to fire? Someone knows what bent it. It didn't happen while it was running. I'd be surprised if you get the straight from the dealer if they tried to disassemble it and bent it.

Good call on the rod. You're also correct as to your assessment of it and similar units.

I'm still betting once he breaks it down, he'll find the clutch side bearing has failed. If not, and if this is the second rod failure in this saw, I'd be mindful of not taking any saws to that particular servicing dealer.

BTW Brad, I'm betting, based on your abilities, you could sit in a Stihl Dealership turning wrenches on 170's-250's for the next 10 years and not duplicate those bent rods. I'm not the most patient man around. I liberally apply force when required, and fortunately haven't had a rod fail on my yet. Some on with your talent...well you were unlucky.

BTW Brad, I'm betting, based on your abilities, you could sit in a Stihl Dealership turning wrenches on 170's-250's for the next 10 years and not duplicate those bent rods. I'm not the most patient man around. I liberally apply force when required, and fortunately haven't had a rod fail on my yet. Some on with your talent...well you were unlucky.

That could very well be. Why do you suspect the crank bearing?

From what I have seen and read on this thread I will never own or work on one of these saws and it saddens me to think that the manufacturer of this unit is the one I hold in such high respect.
Pioneerguy600

I'm still betting once he breaks it down, he'll find the clutch side bearing has failed. If not, and if this is the second rod failure in this saw, I'd be mindful of not taking any saws to that particular servicing dealer.

The bearings look and sound fine...When he stopped me we were in the middle of the street...Didn't have time to talk alot, so not sure the whole story...I left him a message to give me a call when he gets a chance...Hopefully that will give a little insight on what happened...

Wow interesting thread.

1) I have pulled a ton of the stihl homeowner saws apart and haven't personally seen this nor have I ever bent a rod dissassembling it.

2) This saw's connecting rod didn't get bent while running. This saw was probably wrecked by the dealer that tried dissassembling it. This was probably caused by an overtorqued clutch or flywheel.

3) The rods may be inherently weaker than forged rods, but that doesn't have any detrimental effect on operation.

Conclusion

If you are reassembling one of these saws it is important that you are torquing the clutch and flywheel to the proper specs. Don't be using a scrench or a non torquing ratchet to install them. If your unable to pull it off within reason of the torque specs pull the cylinder and use another means to remove them.

If you have one of these saws should you sell it? No...except for these handful of cases I haven't heard nor seen this, so this occurring is not the norm imo.

Are there better built saws in the same class and pricerange? Possibly so. Do the so called "better built" saws in the pricerange hold up better than the stihl? Neither I or the others giving alternative brand recommendations have put enough hours on the competition to tell. I personally believe these are very formidable saws and hold up extremely well.

Latest posts

Back