MS241 for small firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buy a 24 and a 26. Then you can save the countless night sleep wondering "Did I make the right call". Trust me it's easier to hide extra saws from the wife than to lie about your sleeping problem every night.

A 241 has more than enough power to run .325 in my opinion. You cant be heavy handed but keep in mind its only 43cc. Its one of the few saws I like .325 on actually. I prefer the 241 for green wood but for dead stuff I prefer the 261.

Interesting that the 261 is that much heavier than the 241. My 026 PRO and an 024 Super weigh about the same.

They should, it's the same chassis.
A 241 has more than enough power to run .325 in my opinion. You cant be heavy handed but keep in mind its only 43cc. Its one of the few saws I like .325 on actually. I prefer the 241 for green wood but for dead stuff I prefer the 261.

I'm starting to wonder how long a bar you guys struggling with 325 are running. I had a 16" 325 Stihl bar on my 241, and you had to really lean on it to get it to bog stock.

Having said that, I just did another baffle removal on an MS261CM and it responded just like the first one I did - roughly a 30% improvement in cut times. This one was also well broken in with great compression. When I need a new 50cc saw, it's gonna be a 261CM with a simple baffle mod.

I love my 241c. Yes, it was an expensive purchase. Air filtration, anti-vibe, and M-tronic are what make the saw great but expensive. I use it for anything 16" or less and limbing. Had it about a year, probably 25 tanks through her and no complaints. Never ran an 026 but did own a 261 non-mtronic.

Lots of good input - thank you.

I've pretty much decided on the 241 due to my current line up being a 362 & 441 - and - that most of what I'd be using the 241 for would be smaller 12 inch and less dead/down mainly juniper and some oak along with limbing. Also, as MCW mentioned the fuel efficiency of the 241 would be an added bonus.

That said, I'm already thinking of the next saw after the 241 :) I'll definitely be keeping my eyes open for a good used 026 as folks seem to like them and if I can find a good one at the right price.... then if the CAD bug keeps biting who knows I might end up up selling the 441 and trying a 461 or... or :)

I have a 241 with muff mod and it pulls .325 16" very well in hardwood. I also have a 261c with muff mod and have had several ported 261's. That saw is now a tweener for me with the 241 around. Cause I prefer the 241 for the stuff under 14" then I pick my 562 for the bigger stuff. Course the 562 has been modified slightly :)

I've run a lot of .325" on my 241 and it does fine up to a 16" bar. In our hardwoods a 7 tooth rim is faster than an 8 tooth rim. I run .325" nearly exclusively simply because the conditions I cut in are quite dusty and abrasive. In clean conditions though a 241 with the 7 tooth P7 picco rim and chain will outcut .325" by a fair margin. Horses for courses.

I was the OP on this thread and I want to "thank" everyone for the feedback and responses.

My 241 CM came in and I ran two tanks through it today doing some clean up - cutting small stuff (10-12 inch and less) and I have to say the 241 is a very nice saw for the small stuff.

I guess it really comes down to "having the right saw for the job" as my 362 and 441 are great in bigger wood.

However, I have so much small stuff to (cut up / clean up) and the 241 is great for that task ... as the 241 is (small, light, fuel efficient) and good power. I expect I'll like it even more after I run a few more tanks through it.

I was the OP on this thread and I want to "thank" everyone for the feedback and responses.

My 241 CM came in and I ran two tanks through it today doing some clean up - cutting small stuff (10-12 inch and less) and I have to say the 241 is a very nice saw for the small stuff.

I guess it really comes down to "having the right saw for the job" as my 362 and 441 are great in bigger wood.

However, I have so much small stuff to (cut up / clean up) and the 241 is great for that task ... as the 241 is (small, light, fuel efficient) and good power. I expect I'll like it even more after I run a few more tanks through it.
Now you now why I repair the older 024 saws. They do the same thing but it's getting tough to find 024 air filters. Parts for older saw eventually spell their doom. Sad, but true.

Back