MS261 VS MS261 C-M Comparison

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So is it cool to have a little orange screwdriver again ?

It better punch above it's weight, coz it can't complete with what's below it.

I hate to say it, but I am with Troll on this one(and this is just after telling him he was being a pain in the ass yesterday, and it also means you are right, too). The 261 handles like complete shizzola compared to about any other 50cc saw. If you're cutting cookies or logs, it's fine. But a 60 or 70cc saw will do that better unless you port the 261 to within an inch of it's life or like to run short bars and smallish wood. I used a 261 for limbing and small trees for one day and gave it back to the boss and used an ECHO instead. THAT'S how bad it is. A freakin ECHO, folks. Yes, it has power. But do I want to use it all day long for work? No way. Not when virtually every other 50cc saw handles so much better.

A 50cc saw is for limbing and small trees. The 261 still can't do 'real' trees. It can't do limbing. So, from a professional point of view, it does neither well. It's not a limbing saw, and it's not a ground saw. So why bother? Get a proper limbing saw and a proper ground saw, and don't waste time with a 261 is sort of what I hear in Eruope. If I said to them "Yeah, but, uh...you only have to maybe spend another $300+ in porting and shipping and it can then be used as a ground saw" - they would laugh so hard their beer would spray out their noses like geysers. Then they'd go back to work with their 550's and 560's.

The 261 is a competent saw. It's not a great saw. The 550 and the 346 hit the mark, and that is why they are the standard, and STIHL isn't when it comes to 50cc saws.

can u give us dumb ass rookies an idea (in detail) of what a great handling saw as apposed to a crap one is?

i look on specs and the 550 has 700grams in its favor over the 261 say 13% roughly. other than that??!?

can u give us dumb ass rookies an idea (in detail) of what a great handling saw as apposed to a crap one is?

i look on specs and the 550 has 700grams in its favor over the 261 say 13% roughly. other than that??!?

IMO, how the complete package feels when you operate it, mostly focusing on control. Balance (front to back, side to side), throttle response, chain speed, overall weight, comfort (antivibe) all play a part. In other words, how easy it is to get the saw to do what you want when you want to do it. See video:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-bEv2wygfqA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Crap? Try that with a Stihl 290.

Last edited:
IMO, how the complete package feels when you operate it, mostly focusing on control. Balance (front to back, side to side), throttle response, chain speed, overall weight, comfort (antivibe) all play a part. In other words, how easy it is to get the saw to do what you want when you want to do it. See video:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-bEv2wygfqA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Crap? Try that with a Stihl 290.

I've seen that done before (on youtube) but wow! I have never been in that big a hurry to limb a tree. They have more PPE on than the first astronauts to land on the moon.

Balance is very subjective. If you wear a Stihl cap you'll always downplay somebody's comments on Husky's superior balance just like a one eyed Husky supporter will make a big deal out of Husky's balance.
If you come into it with no bias and run both a heap of 50cc saws in a limbing, falling type scenario it becomes quite evident that the MS261 is a porky little saw compared to a 346/353/550 whereas the older 026/MS260 handled more like the Huskys with similar engine characteristics. I've run a heap of different 50cc saws falling/limbing small trees.
The 261's are a great saw though but it seems like Stihl has tried to downsize an MS880 into a 50cc package.
The M-Tronic version may very well fix a few of the standard MS261's throttle response issues.
There is no question that if you like nimble saws and throw them around in a whole heap of different situations (as opposed to just cutting firewood) the 550XP is the pick for me. If you wear a Stihl cap and do a comparo with a heap of subconcious bias you'll still pick the 261 over the Husky but either way you can't go wrong in my opinion. They are both good saws.
The MS261 scores a few points in a few areas over the 550XP and vice versa.

Balance is very subjective. If you wear a Stihl cap you'll always downplay somebody's comments on Husky's superior balance just like a one eyed Husky supporter will make a big deal out of Husky's balance.
If you come into it with no bias and run both a heap of 50cc saws in a limbing, falling type scenario it becomes quite evident that the MS261 is a porky little saw compared to a 346/353/550 whereas the older 026/MS260 handled more like the Huskys with similar engine characteristics. I've run a heap of different 50cc saws falling/limbing small trees.
The 261's are a great saw though but it seems like Stihl has tried to downsize an MS880 into a 50cc package.
The M-Tronic version may very well fix a few of the standard MS261's throttle response issues.
There is no question that if you like nimble saws and throw them around in a whole heap of different situations (as opposed to just cutting firewood) the 550XP is the pick for me. If you wear a Stihl cap and do a comparo with a heap of subconcious bias you'll still pick the 261 over the Husky but either way you can't go wrong in my opinion. They are both good saws.
The MS261 scores a few points in a few areas over the 550XP and vice versa.

So thinking like a European (cause I am half wog) they have made this like u said a little big saw. Knowing they love small capacity motors. Saws or cars.
Unlike our US buddies seem to love " no substitute for cubic capacity " themes.
Not that there's anything wrong with that. ( just look at our truck/ute capacities. )
In that video clip it looks like they are using ms170's of course they will handle better that a 290.
But one pound difference that noticeable ?

I know your cant has to be getting short, (short wood), but I would like to see a video of the saw you ran in the dark last night at 8.66 secs.

please and thank you

But one pound difference that noticeable ?

One pound is definitely noticeable but only if it's in the wrong spot.
For example I can throw my Husky 390XP around all day and not notice any extra fatigue against my 7900's despite it being heavier on the scales. The 390XP's balance beautifully.
A few years ago I used to argue against Sawtroll saying that only a weakling will notice a few hundred grams in a saw but that is a simple analogy. After limbing and falling 1000's and 1000's of smaller trees (6-16") with a Husky 353, 261, 5100-S, 026, MS241C, and 550XP I can positively put the 261 in last place for feel and balance but the difference isn't large enough to mean it's useless, just less preferable. The excellent filter and ability to fit a good set of dual spikes means it is still a handy saw. Out of the above 6 saws I'd rate the 353 the best for feel and balance, followed by the 550XP and 241C in equal second place, and 5100-S/026 equal 3rd.

This M-Tronic saw and the OE are two very different animals as far as I can see at this point. The M-Tronic system seems to be able to provide as much fuel as this thing needs even with the port work and the stratos intact.

I think you hit the right formula. By not getting too crazy with your mods the M-tronic system can still properly tune and the timing is preserved. If you were to start getting silly with crazy timing and de-stratification it may be outside of what the computer can properly tune for.

When I used to tinker with cars we'd have to do all kinds of things to trick the engine computer once we hit a certain threshold of mods as it would start to fight us rather than work for us. Keeping just below hat threshold usually gave nice gains and kept the car very street-able. Once you were doing piggy back computers or full ECU replacements the power would climb, but the ease of use would drop off and the tinkering would go up.

Nice work!

...a great handling saw as apposed to a crap one is?...

Handling becomes most significant in limbing, IMO. Limbing is slow, dangerous (stumbling, slipping and tripping over wood; kickback) and a general PITA. Light weight, an outboard clutch to keep the chain closer to the lateral centerline, crisp throttle response, and a bar/chain length that balances evenly front/back. You can see why our Norwegian friend is so fond of a certain saw brand.

Back to the main topic: these 261 mods are likely to deliver a saw weighing significantly less than 60cc saws, and can comfortably pull a 20" pitch bar w/ .375 pitch chain in hardwood. Here's where you start to think, "game changer".

Last edited:
Handling becomes most significant in limbing, IMO. Limbing is slow, dangerous (stumbling, slipping and tripping over wood; kickback) and a general PITA. Light weight, an outboard clutch to keep the chain closer to the lateral centerline, crisp throttle response, and a bar/chain length that balances evenly front/back. You can see why our Norwegian friend is so fond of a certain saw brand.

Back to the main topic: these 261 mods are likely to deliver a 50cc saw weighing significantly less than 60cc saws that can comfortably pull a 20" pitch bar w/ .375 pitch chain in hardwood. Here's where you start to think, "game changer".

I agree. For the mix of cutting I do, I actually prefer the benefits an inboard clutch offers in spite of the balance trade off. I have had extremely positive experience with Stihl's M-Tronic, and like other characteristics of the 261 such as it's excellent filtration (also like my 441C) and it's captive bar nuts. I too was thinking 3/8's pitch (but more like 18") so I could carry a few extra of the same file in the place where the orange screwdriver woulda' been.

A 50cc saw is tiny any way. I prefer to cut with a 28' bar so there's no bending over so when a 50cc will pull semi skip on a 28" I'm in.

A 50cc saw is tiny any way. I prefer to cut with a 28' bar so there's no bending over so when a 50cc will pull semi skip on a 28" I'm in.

View attachment 313336

all this saw has is an early carb with hi-lo adj ,and a triple port muffler ,i don't bury the bar ,but it cuts 12 inch rounds and limbs fine ,it has full comp square chain too ,with the light bar it balances similar to a 3/8 es bar ,i don't like to bend over cutting either :cheers:

After this piece of crap computer crashing three times I finally got it uploaded.

Fully stratified OE MS261

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back