MS270 does its duties!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sprig

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
For some stupid reason I cannot find any of the 270 threads (hey mods, maybe u can and merge the threads, be really nice and appreciated), I think that being on dial-sux might be part of the problem, but I know that the search function has been buggy and this hasn't been fixed yet......
Regardless, I promised some pics and an update so I will try to do so in this new addition to the thread I was seeking.......:monkey:

So. In answer to potential MS270 c problems, I posted before that so far the only issues I have heard about were that some of the ignition moduels have minor seperation problems, the good news is that Stihl has all these components in one spot and its a lvl #1 replacement, though not cheap its an easy fix. The bad news is that the moduel is pricy. Kk, on with my story.......
Having some problems yesterday with starting the ms270 an hour after using it for about 2 hours (went and delivered a load of wood), the results are in, I am an idiot (hey hey, no probs there guys), do not use the choke if it is a nice day (grief), u will flood the poor thing out. Maybe ONE pull with choke on, then set to 'run' and it should go. Well mine did, the nice tech at the local shop proceeded to run my newly sharpened chain into a nice spike, which, outta the kindness of is heart and knowlege of good relations, got me a new chain (RS fer thos that give a hoot), it was kinda sad as I'd spent a good 20mins getting that sucker nice and fine, GAH!
Today I ran 2 tanks through it in this pile of wood, I wish I could patent my smile, soooo much good. Here is what I am dealing with, around 5 dumptrucks so far and another 10-20 ta come. Most is fresh fir and I'd guess the average diam. to be about 16-18". The biggest problem I have right now is not just the fact that I am slightly overwhelmed but that I am working alone and not being particularly mobile on ma feet, have to cut a bit then un-tangle stuff, and yes I am very, very careful. There is a bunch of 30-40" maple in amongst the piles (mine!) and some stuff that is been down for a year or more. This is a charity thingy, I get what I need, deliver some who need it, and the rest we'll sell to continue tha good works, nuff said 'bout that...
attachment.php

You may notice my re-handled maul given the strength of yer eyes, I'd like ta post a different thread on this project but I'll say this, it is a pick handle that I shaped with one of my draw-knives, many tricks involved btw. (ie., picking the right ash handle, plotting the lines, figuring out how much beer I could drink before total failure, all the fine lines.....). Finished with my sidegrinder being very careful not to burn the wood, then split the handle with a rough hacksaw (half the thickness of the maul head btw) and pounded the head on. Since I did not have any head-wedges and I was lazy at the moment, I used some 1&1/2 inch aluminum roofing nails to snug things up, think I used 5-6 and peened the crowns a bit. This morning I got out the glue-gun and sealed everything up, and upon whacking it with all my strength against the nearest really hard piece o' wood, no problems so far. I like the longer handles of a pick or maddox (a sledge handle will work too but too small in the maul head really which makes some shimming necessary), for my size I can get an efficient swing outta it.
This is a pic of the pile so far (and bad, my camera really sux), only five loads so far and another 10-15+ coming. Mostly fir but a bunch of maple, alder, willow, and some big cedars. What might bite is that some of this was felled on gravelly dirt, DOH!>
attachment.php

As I am fairly gimped up this is a dream even though it is helter-skelter piling up, have an old pee-vee head coming tomorrow so I guess I'll have ta fashion a handle for it, a nice long lever maybe one of the old growth fir branches (100-150yrs old) that whacked my bud's house down the road, we have the technology!
On the 270 saw, hm, a champ in disguise imho, will get someone up there with me soon to post some chip throwin' pics. Have an old 266xp lent to me with a 24" bar that I have to recondition in the next day or two to take care of some of the bigger logs, I think it will be fine though, it needs a brake handle and possibly more (great comp. btw), are these a band brake? Will find out in the morning. Dunno, don't care, I am beat..............time fer a cocktail or three!!! :clap:
Hope this post makes some sort of sense :)

On the West Coast and havin' fun!!

:cheers: All!

Serge

I own MS270 with 15 and 18 inch bars and have run over 200 tanks of fuel on it. Good saw!

Yup, I think this may be true. I can feel it in its guts if that makes any sense, its tough and reliable, time will tell and so shall I... It is a big bit of work for this wee saw, we shall see how it transpires.........
For something 50cc I am in awe btw.. Nothing even like my old beasty 08s at around the same hp. Hm, I must have 'DA BUG', dunno, off to the doc tomorrow, sure he'll tell me (hey, I have an old apple tree that doesn't look cool). :hmm3grin2orange:

frikken yupisomethings. hm. me need a :chainsawguy: and,um, a beer.
Kick da dog? Only on E-bay free games............ ;)

:cheers:

Serge

Nice pics, Sprig. Glad you like the 270. Like I said on another thread, nobody that OWNS one ever has anything but good things to say about their saw.

BTW, after the initial start / warm up, I restart mine the rest of the time at idle by simply turning the switch on and pulling the starter. If its been sitting awhile, I may have to pull it twice, but usually it starts on the first pull.

Here's what my 270 did for me last winter with a little help from my splitter....

attachment.php

Yup, I think this may be true. I can feel it in its guts if that makes any sense, its tough and reliable, time will tell and so shall I... It is a big bit of work for this wee saw, we shall see how it transpires.........
For something 50cc I am in awe btw.. Nothing even like my old beasty 08s at around the same hp. Hm, I must have 'DA BUG', dunno, off to the doc tomorrow, sure he'll tell me (hey, I have an old apple tree that doesn't look cool). :hmm3grin2orange:

frikken yupisomethings. hm. me need a :chainsawguy: and,um, a beer.
Kick da dog? Only on E-bay free games............ ;)

Serge
tihis winter was rather rest for my 270, but the 05/06 was hard firewood-work.

Nice pics, Sprig. Glad you like the 270. Like I said on another thread, nobody that OWNS one ever has anything but good things to say about their saw.

BTW, after the initial start / warm up, I restart mine the rest of the time at idle by simply turning the switch on and pulling the starter. If its been sitting awhile, I may have to pull it twice, but usually it starts on the first pull.

Here's what my 270 did for me last winter with a little help from my splitter....

attachment.php

If warm, switch to working position, single pull and my 270 is going also...:clap:

So, its not good to say that:laugh:

I have been missing you, when you were absent.

It is good, but it just tells that your saw is in good order, nothing special past that.....;)

I was a bit annoyed at Stihls combo switch, before I learned about it - and I have never seen it mentioned in a user manual.

Last edited:
I have been missing you, when you were absent.

It is good, but it just tells that your saw is in good order, nothing special past that.....;)

I was a bit annoyed at Stihls combo switch, before I learned about it - and I have never seen it mentioned in a user manual.

Really missed?:angel:
Try to say once something good about 270 too:laugh:

I'm glad to see other people as pleased with their 270's as me. Can't imagine why some people here would say they are junk.:dizzy:

I don't think anyone ever have said they are junk - they just are a tad heavy for the power - and they are not "full-blown" pro saws.

I don't think anyone ever have said they are junk - they just are a tad heavy for the power - and they are not "full-blown" pro saws.

We never sold the 270 or 280 until this week. I was told by the higher up's we will carry the entire model line up now so get them in here. I, like many, am not to familier with the 270 or 280 but will be soon. I did call my man down at Stihl about those two saws to find out the selling points. To my surprize he said they don't move all that great but they hardly ever have a warranty issue with either of them. He merely said they are the step childs of the line up but are in fact very reliable saws. That said northern Virginia will soon have them all over the place, wink!

We never sold the 270 or 280 until this week. I was told by the higher up's we will carry the entire model line up now so get them in here. I, like many, am not to familier with the 270 or 280 but will be soon. I did call my man down at Stihl about those two saws to find out the selling points. To my surprize he said they don't move all that great but they hardly ever have a warranty issue with either of them. He merely said they are the step childs of the line up but are in fact very reliable saws. That said northern Virginia will soon have them all over the place, wink!

That is good news, if they take the place of the MS290 - MS280 obviously is a much better saw, and the 270 aren't bad either, according to a former friend of mine.......

The bad news is that Stihl seem to use these saws as a test-bed for new technology........

Last edited:
I have cut about 10 cords with my 270 and have no had no problems, just smiles. The only thing that bugs me is the oiler, I would like it to pump a little bit more. It was easy to start all winter and starts on the first pull after warmed up. The 270's and 280's are alot nicer than the ms290 (weight, antivibration, airfilter covers,etc) and worth the extra money. Overall it is a good quality saw for someone on a budget.

Latest posts

Back