MS270 does its duties!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
reliable

We have sold a few, a couple being used regularly for a couple of years. I have done no major or minor repairs so far, only bar, chain, and sprocket maintenance.
Owners are very happy with the saws.

I have cut about 10 cords with my 270 and have no had no problems, just smiles. The only thing that bugs me is the oiler, I would like it to pump a little bit more. It was easy to start all winter and starts on the first pull after warmed up. The 270's and 280's are alot nicer than the ms290 (weight, antivibration, airfilter covers,etc) and worth the extra money. Overall it is a good quality saw for someone on a budget.
Yes, agree. But my dealer/tech pointed out a simple thing, thin yer bar oil out if ya want more! I'm gonna be adding canola in the next tank, we shall see what happens next, I suspect not much, maybe more lube. From what I understand these saws sip bar oil due to stihl's engineers figuring out what is needed, optimally, to keep the bar cool, so they appear to use less, ie. you won't get as much flung from the end of the bar, much less it seems, but it doesn't appear to affect heating issues so far and no extra-ordinary wear, and I made some pretty harsh cuts with mine too btw.

:cheers:

We never sold the 270 or 280 until this week. I was told by the higher up's we will carry the entire model line up now so get them in here. I, like many, am not to familier with the 270 or 280 but will be soon. I did call my man down at Stihl about those two saws to find out the selling points. To my surprize he said they don't move all that great but they hardly ever have a warranty issue with either of them. He merely said they are the step childs of the line up but are in fact very reliable saws. That said northern Virginia will soon have them all over the place, wink!

Get ready to sell. It has been very reliable here and it is slowly running the 290 sales away.:cheers:

Sprig, why don't you get your paws on that 266XP you spoke of? That is one of the best saws ever, for me, I ran them for a few thousand hours at least, juvenile spacing and slashing on powerlines. Never used a 270, but I know the 266 very well.

Sprig, why don't you get your paws on that 266XP you spoke of? That is one of the best saws ever, for me, I ran them for a few thousand hours at least, juvenile spacing and slashing on powerlines. Never used a 270, but I know the 266 very well.

Funny you should mention that clearance, I spent some quality time with the 266xp yesterday morning maintenance-wise as it is a well used and mildly abused machine. It has been sitting since last Sept. gas in tank (gah!) so the 1st thing I did was dump what was in, out. Pulled plug and checked gap, all fine, nice browny-beige color too and no deposites ta speak of. Cleaned airfilter and pulled clutch cover to inspect drive sprocket and see what is missing from the brake assy., no hope there the band is kaputt, nada, gone, as is the aforementioned handle. Cleaned all the grunge out and put it back together, added some new 40:1 and bar oil and took it onto the driveway. This thing has unreal (read 'its tight') compression so it was choke on throttle locked and foot in the handle, popped on second pull, pushed in choked, then that little beast fired next pull and screamed so loud I near crapped myself as I was not expecting such an easy start. Once warmed up a minute I trimmed a cookie from a big block of knarly cedar I had by the fire-pit.... no chips, flour, dull. Who ever has been sharpening this saw has been free-handing with the wrong (too small, doubled the gullets gah! again :cry: ) file and disregarding the tooth angle marks. Took about half and hour to get the teeth righted again, about 5-7 strokes per. The 24" bar is in good order but I did grease the nose-srocket. Today I get ta drop & buck about 10 little trees, mostly leaning arbutus (not my favorite ones to tackle btw, but I love burning it and I get the wood for my stove :) ) for a mate down the road, should be fun to get the old beast into that, will get some pics too I hope.
Compared to the 270 its like apples and oranges, sort of reminds me more of the 2100 I had years ago, power to spare and lots of grunt, should be some good clean fun this morning! :chainsaw: :chainsaw: Yeeehaw dogey!!

Serge

Get ready to sell. It has been very reliable here and it is slowly running the 290 sales away.:cheers:

Forgot to mention, the 270 was discontinued here after a year or two, but the 280 is still around, rated at 3.7hp here (nearly bought one last year, as they were sold at an increadibly low price, MS250-ish).

We don't have the 290, 310 or 440 either, probably because they regard them "not competetive"......

Last edited:
Nice from you;)

But about 270/280 series place and value a disagree a littlebit wit yo...
Both have their place as good saws not at high price...
With MS270 in basic configuration you win much more money than lost the power compared to MS280 and both they are cheaper than MS260 and very much cheaper than MS361. Both, 270/280 are user-friendly saws.

Funny you should mention that clearance, I spent some quality time with the 266xp yesterday morning maintenance-wise as it is a well used and mildly abused machine.

Compared to the 270 its like apples and oranges, sort of reminds me more of the 2100 I had years ago, power to spare and lots of grunt, should be some good clean fun this morning! :chainsaw: :chainsaw: Yeeehaw dogey!!

Serge
Surely apples and oranges, one 50cm3 another near 70cm3 (?) saw

... But about 270/280 series place and value a disagree a littlebit wit yo...
Both have their place as good saws not at high price...
With MS270 in basic configuration you win much more money than lost the power compared to MS280 and both they are cheaper than MS260 and very much cheaper than MS361. Both, 270/280 are user-friendly saws.

That differs a bit, depending on where in the world you are.

Here, the 260 usually is cheaper, and the 361 not much costlier, they all are within 1000NOK of each other, in the most popular versions, without heating.......

You have a big pile of wood to cut there! Funny I thought you wood have taken a lot of criticism over your saw choice. But not from me, as all that really matters is a sharp chain and good maintenance. And after reading the rest of this post I see you also have a 266 since you live in the land of big trees it looks like you are well set up for anything.

MS270 update. Liquid sun, perfect! (Joy-joy, hmmmmm.)

Another bash at the piles of wood today, drizzly and warm, nice. Having already cut, split and delivered most of the first pile I begin the rest of the second one. 270 fires right up second pull, freshly sharpened, cleaned, fueled, all ready ta go, woot!
This load is piled two high now as I removed some of the smaller stuff the other day. Used the new Pee-Vee to roll each of two logs off da pile and bucked them up. First pic is of the first fairly largish log 270 will tackle. The bar is an 18", the log is a couple of inches larger.
It eats it up amazingly quickly (start on top, dog over to the far side and go to the ground, then pull back and rocking buck normally) though I can see my chips getting progressively smaller; this timber has been rolled on gravelly mud, the joy continues.
attachment.php

Amost done! Couple of things to mention. These are fairly large and heavy logs, I had to work between them after spreading them apart and thers a bit of a dip between them, very, very dangerous imo, but I had no choice so you will notice the branches and 2x4s wedged along its length as well as the blocks under the next larger log, work safe guys ya don't ever want something that size pinchin' ya (yikes!).
The big fella on the left is the second length from the tree and the top is on top and next ta go. For those who have never cut fir don't think that because it is called a 'softwood' that its like balsam or something, that 16" diameter top had branches every 8-10 inches and man they are hard stuff to chew through, but in retrospect it may have sharpened my chain a bit (jk, jk)
attachment.php

Gone! Rolled the rounds out of he way, And time ta roll one of the big ones woo-hoo! *groan* Had ta rock it a bit but considering it probably weighed 1400-1600lbs+ and I'm only about 250lbs I thought I did perty good with the PV. Got her blocked steady in several places and it was time to give the wee Stihl a well deserved rest (but I just know it wanted more!) Out comes my borrowed 266. Sharpened to a T, oil, gas.....pull, pull, pull, rest, pull, pull pull. GAH! Finally get the beast started and its off to da races (after brushing most of the rocks and crap off with a bristle scub brush btw, ick!) I must say that saw rocks even at 5000 less rpm than the MS, I did not have the strength to bog it down (but didn't want to of course eh).
attachment.php

Almost the last cut and the 24" bar barely shows its tip when only 1/3 through.
attachment.php

Had to take a breather, Dog I'm feelin' old by now, finished the cuts and rolled the log again to do the tags, saw won't start (out of gas, DOH!), ta hell with re-fueling it for a couple more cuts, I fire up MS270 and finish up, put the tools away in car and gloat for a second. Near to 2 cords worth of rounds in two and a half hours, I'm happy and can live with that. And, I'M ALIVE!
attachment.php

Trust me that quartering these with the wedge and sledge will be fun, especially if the hired hand doesn't show up in the next day or so :taped: :rockn:

Dis is me story for da day, little saw is running better and better each time I use it, must be now approaching 40 tanks through it now and it work really hard today, very happy guy! Hope y'all enjoyed it, more to come I assure you.

Be safe, have fun despite it all!

Serge (time ta make dins for the dwarflette and me)

you need a spliter
We have one, named Richard! :D Well worth his 20$ an hour too.
I actually thought of borrowing one the neighbour's but none of them run vertical and the 18"L rounds are mostly not lift-able for anyone (that be me) who values their um, vitals un-torn. The last rounds are nearing 200lbs and not movin' far till quartered, besides that I need the CV workout :biggrinbounce2: (a nice big raisable one would be kinda nice though, oh well, ya does what ya have ta)
Btw I :heart: :heart: my new P-V! Damned near gave myself a heart attack though when I had it jammed in da ground and had hung my hard hat on it, thought someone snuck up on me, sheesh! (it was early, really it was).

Nice story and pics Sprig....

...., here is a few notes;

1) Touch up the chain with a file, as soon as you notice the chips are getting smaller.

2) The rpms of the 266xp should be well within 1000 rpms of the MS270, far from 5000 lower (about 700 at max WOT out of wood, and a mere 200 for max power, I believe).

3) To make the rounds managable, rip-cut them from the side, at a slight angle up or down. Cut about 80% trough, and finish with an axe, or from the other side.

Last edited:
Great pictures and story. I can almost see the sweat dripping off the handle of the saw. Did all the logs come in limbed already or was that another one of your jobs to do?

...., here is a few notes;
1) Touch up the chain with a file, as soon as you notice the chips are getting smaller.
2) The rpms of the 266xp should be well within 1000 rpms of the MS270, far from 5000 lower (about 700 at max WOT out of wood, and a mere 200 for max power, I believe).
3) To make the rounds manageable, rip-cut them from the side, at a slight angle up or down. Cut about 80% trough, and finish with an axe, or from the other side.
Thanks Troll! :)
1> Yup, sure try to! Unfortunately in the muddy ones I'd be touching up every cut and waste half my time, so I let it go a bit, then again my idea of 'dull' is still pretty sharp :p
2>My bad, the 266 is running around its recommend 9k, I have no idea what the 270 is doing but it seems a world faster, I tried to find out what the RPM specs are on it to no avail, for some reason I imagined it to be pushing 13k, maybe Andy or someone could answer this, don't want to start a thread for only that.
3> Yup, rarely do that, just as quick (and hella quieter) for me to wedge and sledge 'em, also, doing it with the saw would about double my fuel and oil usage and I'm thrifty (but not cheap! :p ). It takes me about 4-6 swings to halve the big pieces, and another couple to do the halves. Never used an axe for anything but kindling and my double-bit for limbing btw. :)

Nice pictures, Sprig. Stay safe working by yourself!
Thanks for sharing.
Your welcome glad you enjoyed them!
Though I do prefer to have someone in the vicinity it is not always possible, and you have reminded me to rescue my whistle from da dwarflette. (there are houses near-by and contractors going passed to build down the lane btw).
I have, what I consider anyway, a good safety ethic when it comes to doing stuff like this. Always looking for what can go wrong and planning ahead, especially in cold-decked piles like these, no room for errors of judgment imo. PPE and common sense keep me safe, pacing and fore-thought work for me and time is not an issue here as it is my own call, gotta like that.

Great pictures and story. I can almost see the sweat dripping off the handle of the saw. Did all the logs come in limbed already or was that another one of your jobs to do?
Thanks man I appreciate it! Yes the logs were limbed, then dragged through muck and loaded into dump trucks and hauled to this site which is part of one of the original farms on this Island. This work was done by others and I'm thankful for that lol. It is for a good cause too and is helping out a bunch of fine folks which makes me happy.

I'd like ta thank y'all for the positive responses and will continue this wood-pile saga along with my assessment of the MS270 since it seems to be a little known and under-rated saw in a world of many choices. Its a challenging and fun job too. More comin' soon!

Serge

From the top of my head the rpm numbers are;

MS270, max allowed 14k, max power at 9.5k.

266xp, max allowed 13.3k, max power at 9.3k (but various numbers have been published for that one).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back